Roasting IEM
Mar 3, 2006 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sypher.mp3

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I have an interesting experience to share. I had a pair of Shure E2c'c that suited me just fine on my iPod for working out and such. About a month ago the left channel went nearly out, just barely audible. I boxed them up and sent them back to Shure, yesterday a box arrives with a brand new sealed set of E2c's. I took them out, plugged them in and wouldn’t you know it, the left channel was nearly dead. Before you ask me if I had a good seal and such, I even switched ears; it is so dramatic that you can tell a difference just by holding the two up to your ear. I called Shure, they offered to upgrade me to an E3c for my trouble, and told me that they would personally check them before they sent them out. That is great, I really appreciate their great customer support, but I am a little worried. The iPod was all I ever used my previous E2 on, and the iPod was the first thing I plugged the new pair into, both times the left channel was out. I am worried that my iPod could be to blame. Is this possible, I don’t want to plug the E3's in to it when I get them and have a problem. It is a 20GB 4th generation. What do you think; I still have my Best Buy extended warranty. Also, any suggestions on what to do with these spent E2c's?

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 12
The bug was only the right channel on the 5th gen models. I don't think it was widespread.

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sypher.mp3
Hey everyone,
I have an interesting experience to share. I had a pair of Shure E2c'c that suited me just fine on my iPod for working out and such. About a month ago the left channel went nearly out, just barely audible. I boxed them up and sent them back to Shure, yesterday a box arrives with a brand new sealed set of E2c's. I took them out, plugged them in and wouldn’t you know it, the left channel was nearly dead. Before you ask me if I had a good seal and such, I even switched ears; it is so dramatic that you can tell a difference just by holding the two up to your ear. I called Shure, they offered to upgrade me to an E3c for my trouble, and told me that they would personally check them before they sent them out. That is great, I really appreciate their great customer support, but I am a little worried. The iPod was all I ever used my previous E2 on, and the iPod was the first thing I plugged the new pair into, both times the left channel was out. I am worried that my iPod could be to blame. Is this possible, I don’t want to plug the E3's in to it when I get them and have a problem. It is a 20GB 4th generation. What do you think; I still have my Best Buy extended warranty. Also, any suggestions on what to do with these spent E2c's?

Hey, I want a free upgrade too!

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Hey, I want a free upgrade too!

I was impressed with Shure's customer service, I didnt ask for an upgrade, the CSR offered it to me after what had occured. Thumbs up to Shure! any ideas with what to do with the old E2's? The left channel keeps getting weaker and weaker, I just hate to throw them away.....

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 12
This is quite strange. I have the exact same problem with my er6is. The left channel has gone seriously quiet. I can hear it slightly but they sound terrible when wearing both because the left is basically gone. Im gonna try chnaging the filters first then i spose ill have to send em back again to etymotic.
Not that it matters much anymore since i just ordered a pair of e4c's about 4 hours ago. Can't wait lol.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 12
i still can belive you got a free upgrade lol. If only etymotic offered me a free upgrade from the er6i to the er4p. I can dream lol, but we all no its not gonna happen.
etysmile.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
The bug was only the right channel on the 5th gen models. I don't think it was widespread.

My 2nd gen iPod killed the right bud on my Sony E888, my Sony ED21, and finally the white iPod buds. I thought it was my fault until I read about the problem online.

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 12
hey dakota,

i've got the same problem from what i've found it should be a filter problem, if you've got the er6i's then u can pop the filter out and clean it in window cleaner (apparantly). To make sure it is the filter you should swap the filters in the other channel and see if the problem moves, if it doesn't it could be something else. Anyway, just thought i'd give a bit of info since i'm despartly trying to repair my dying er6's.

orfeo

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by orfeo
hey dakota,

i've got the same problem from what i've found it should be a filter problem, if you've got the er6i's then u can pop the filter out and clean it in window cleaner (apparantly). To make sure it is the filter you should swap the filters in the other channel and see if the problem moves, if it doesn't it could be something else. Anyway, just thought i'd give a bit of info since i'm despartly trying to repair my dying er6's.

orfeo

hmm interesting, is it possible to just "pop" the filters out without rendering them useless though? The tool requires you to screw a hole through the filter to remove it?? I dont have any replacement filters at the minute so if anyone has a method of cleaning the filters or getting them out without destroying them it would be useful.
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone

It was on some 4Gs as well. It doesn't matter if it's widespread or not; he's got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back