Road running - wireless headphones, not in-ear which still allow situational awareness
Oct 22, 2020 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jolltax

New Head-Fier
I enjoy running around the country roads near where I live, I also listen to music on headphones, its important for me as a way to escape / relax. I am aware this is a bit of safety issue, particularly as the headphones I am using (Sony 1000XM3) are noise cancelling and over-ear - I recognise this is a bad idea as it massively reduces my situational awareness .... hence the request for advice. I tried switching off the NC on my Sonys and I can't live with the way they sound.

I am looking for some bluetooth wireless headphones which still allow some peripheral hearing and also sound decent, and will stand up to some sweat!
I do not like in ear headphones, I find them very uncomfortable and they tend to fall out.

So my strong preference would be a pair of traditional style headphones with a band, wireless, probably open backed and without NC - I don't mind if they are big / ugly as I am already big and ugly anyway without them :L3000:

I only need them for running, I have other phones for home / travelling etc

The source will be my Samsung s10, budget is up to £200 ish but am flexible-ish and cheaper would also be OK!

What do you think would work?

J

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 4
You might also look at headphones with a hear trough function.
Basically you use the microphone to listen to the environment.
Jabra Evolve, Sennheiser momentum true wireless are models known to me offering this function.
Other brands probably as well.
Good thinking, I had the same thought as my Sony's have this function, the problem is that you have to already be aware that there is noise (and then switch it on). I'm kind of in the opposite situation where I want to be alerted while listening.
This is why I thought open backed headphones might be a good choice - the countryside / wildlife won't mind a bit of bleed-out noise and the reverse benefit is I will be able to hear the cars approaching from both directions....... maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back