RME HDSP 9632 vs. E-mu 1212m
Jun 4, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #17 of 46
without a doubt, Zemo..

Jun 4, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Glassman,

have you heard both cards?

How would you characterise their audible sonic differences?

unfortunately, I can't speak from experience here, but it has been proven by a few owners of both E-MU and RME DIGI96/8 PAD, which I think is the same as HDSP if we talk about analog output..

Jun 4, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #22 of 46
So you haven't tried, but are extrapolating second hand information across product types. Good to know
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 46
know what? I don't expect there is anyone who actually heard both E-MU and HDSP, but there are at least three or four people that heard E-MU vs. 96/8 PAD and I already told you that both of those RME cards use the same components on their analog outputs, pretty much standard datasheet implementation, you really believe they made the 96/8 PAD so bad that another implementation using the same components in case of HDSP can make any serious difference? the same people from the same company? I don't..

I think I know where and when I can extrapolate, I wouldn't say so without knowing anything about the cards..

Jun 5, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
It seems like the E-mu wins in every category except frequency response....how will this translate into sound, I wonder?

-Z

RMAA is the devil's work. So are all other measurement figures which people claim to hear a clear difference with. You CAN'T judge by a "benchmark" how a card will sound, it might give you an idea about where it excells in comparison to a much cheaper card, but not if the lower IMD sounds better to you etc. Just remember this for all equipment, or else you will never be satisfied.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #25 of 46
My buddy said the RME HDSP 9632 blew away the 1212m, and yes, he owns both. The RMAA results don't seem to agree with him, but.....

GAH! I'm so confused! What do I do! not sure I'll have the chance to hear both side by side....

-Z

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #26 of 46
Blew away is too strong an adjective at this level of performance. You know your friend better than us. Does he have a good ear, good equipment, is computer saavy?

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #27 of 46
I'm sure he has a good ear....

His equiptment, I'd wager, would beat ANYBODY's on this forum. He owns a hi-fi shop as well. His computer is REALLY nice too, so I'm sure he knows his way around that...

Hmm...maybe if I play my cards just right, I can "borrow" his HDSP, and try to pick up a 1212m from guitar center. and listen for myself. Haha, we'll see how lucky I am.

-Z

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #28 of 46
His gear:

Computer Rig:

Empirical Audio Modded EMU1212 OR RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632 ---> Empirical Audio Bitmiester---> Bel Canto DAC2 ----> Plinius 9100 ---> Green Mountain Europa's or JM Labs Electra 906 on Sound Anchors Adjustable Destop Stands. Balanced Power Technology BPT2 Ultra, TG Audio High Purity IC'S, SLVR Power Cords and TG Audio Speaker Wire.

Main Rig:

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista---> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II IC'S ---> PASS Labs X0.2 Pre-amp ----> Parasound JC-1 Monoblocks --> Accoustic Zen Hologram II speaker wire ----> JM Labs Nova Utopia Bereylium.

-Z

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #29 of 46
The gear is decent
tongue.gif
It's all about setup anyhow. I'm just skeptical when somebody uses adjectives which are too strong. There is a point where you're past diminishing returns.

Jun 6, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #30 of 46
I rather say this is more on personal preference.

If your friend prefer RME over EMU, that's good. But you are not your friend, so take a listen to it and judge yourself.

Quote:

If what sounds good to you is warmth(or distortion) then you got us, because that's not how we designed it. It was designed to be accurate with super high range, super low noise, with total separation, and for that I think the numbers and ultimately the sound speak for themselves.

Best,
ICHi
E-MU Systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back