RME Babyface good as a DAC?
May 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ridethespiral

Head-Fier
I currently use an RME Babyface for recording bass / guitar + hardware monitoring, as well as just for regular listening. To my ears, it sounds absolutely brilliant versus the noisy output of my laptop's headphone jack, and the previous interface I had been using. It is superbly quiet and backgrounds are absolutely 'black' when music goes quiet / silent.

My question is would it ever make sense to buy a stand-alone DAC, say a schiit bitfrost? Would I see any improvement over the RME Babyface or am I already in the diminishing returns territory? 

There isn't much info out there regarding using the Babyface for listening - tons for recording - so excuse me if this seems like a silly question. :)

May 27, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm using a RME HDSPe AIO and my Asus Essence One sounds noticeably better, although not by a lot. I would think that getting a better DAC would improve your sound but probably not significantly unless you are willing to spend a lot.

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 5
I have the sane soundcard and actually use Phone out to enter i Schiit Magni 2 and I World boy a DAC.
ridetespiral how have YOU solved tour pronlem that is vero similar to mine ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back