RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Mar 18, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #466 of 594
When using balanced on the ADI-2 pro, I would STRONGLY advise you to manually change it to balanced, and then plug in. Rather than using the 'auto' setting. The auto setting on mine did not change correctly and the L/3/4 headphone amp died.

RME replaced it but still. Just to avoid any issues i'd recommend swapping manually.
Pretty sure the headphone amp died independently from switching. If you follow their forum they had their share of broken output amps (chips), where balanced played no role at all. Pure coincidence here. As long as the chip itself doesn't die unexpectedly the headphone amp can not be destroyed. And when the chip dies all the protection implemented seems to work. I have not seen a single killed headphone reported.

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #467 of 594
Pretty sure the headphone amp died independently from switching. If you follow their forum they had their share of broken output amps (chips), where balanced played no role at all. Pure coincidence here. As long as the chip itself doesn't die unexpectedly the headphone amp can not be destroyed. And when the chip dies all the protection implemented seems to work. I have not seen a single killed headphone reported.
Yeah I doubt the auto function can malfunction, I’ve been using the automatic balanced function for 4 years now and I’ve yet to encounter an issue with one of the 2 amps or the headphones connected to it with an adapter.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #469 of 594
Heads-up on firmware for the Pro: "Note that in firmware 249/98 for the Pro we overlooked (or better forgot) a change for the SRC. Version 249/99 will finalize that one in the next days (level with SRC is 3 dB too hot)." - MC.

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #471 of 594
Can anyone please help, on my pro BE I can't seem to get the setting for balanced headphone connection out of mono. When balanced is switched on it is always sounding in mono. Was it designed to function like this?
Have you tried the RME forum?

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #472 of 594
Can anyone please help, on my pro BE I can't seem to get the setting for balanced headphone connection out of mono. When balanced is switched on it is always sounding in mono. Was it designed to function like this?
Need more information . You should not get mono out of a balanced connection although it can be set to do that . First step would be return to default setting (see manual)
Second check headphone connection .

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #475 of 594
My settings: mono-to the left, width-1.0, balance-0, balanced headphone-on
Can you post a picture of the adapter you're using? Most likely cause is an incorrectly wired adapter

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #476 of 594
The Mytek adapter is fine- with a Mytek. I don't know if the RME Prp is wired the same way.

And he said mono to the left, whatever that means. He also asked in the Pro thread, not sure if anybody answered him.

I guess if I bought a new device and had questions the first stop would be that company's support. I believe somebody suggested this upthread.

So my money is on the wrong settings rather than any hardware issue,

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #478 of 594
I will post the photo as soon as I am home but I am using a norne audio draug3
But what I mean is how are you actually connecting to the two HP out sockets when using balanced. In balanced mode you need a 2x TS/TRS adapter as shown in the manual.
1616619078679.png

1616619160995.png

1616619261276.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back