1001 cool features in one unit ...
*         A high-end AD/DA converter in professional studio quality
*         A double headphone amplifier in true high-end quality
*         A USB DAC like no other - the most versatile and capable one
*         A high-end AD/DA frontend and headphone amp for iPad / iPhone
*         A multi-format converter (AES, SPDIF, ADAT) with monitoring function
*         A DSD record and playback solution
*         An AD/DA frontend for audio measurement at up to 768 kHz sample rate

Could not find any thread about the great unit.
https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-pro.php?_=1470403485800

Did anyone compare it to another DAC yet?
Zodiac Antelope Gold
T&A Dac8
Bryston BDA-2

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 594
Here is somebody, who compared it with
Crane Song's HEDD, Lynx Hilo, Prism Sound Orpheus, Antelope Eclipse 384, Focusrite RedNet and UA Apollo

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12349346-post102.html

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 594
Other reviews
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/StudioMagazin_ADI2Pro_d.pdf
http://www.lowbeats.de/test-addac-headphone-preamp-rme-adi-2-pro/
https://www.modernhifi.de/rme-adi-2-pro-test/

Some pics RME Adi 2 Pro inside view
http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?showtopic=34094

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 594
I will have a friend from the "PRO world" to come to my house and let me try this interesting unit. I plan to use it for a second hifi system and as a portable dac/amp for my HE400i headphones.

Will report back.

Strange that not many people are talking about it.

Simone

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 594
This DAC is one I'm very interested in, even though it's far beyond what I should be spending.

The inclusion of a DSP with configurable, per-channel PEQ makes it almost unique from what I've found. With recent, partial hearing loss in my right ear (due to SSHL of unknown cause, although gunfire earlier in my life might have been a parameter) I need to use carefully configured EQ on the right to improve the sound.

I currently use either Equalizer APO for general Windows sounds, or a third-octave EQ plugin in foobar for most of my listening. Of course that makes DSD capability in the DAC pretty much useless, but I think the ADI2Pro can at least convert DSD to PCM itself and then apply the DSP, if I read things right. Saves the PC having to do it.

I'm awaiting more reviews/information in English.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 594
Unfortunately that will not work. In DSD mode this unit does not offer any processing other than a volume control, which also not happens in its DSP, but is a feature of the DAC chip. Otherwise it totally rocks. No matter if HD800S in audiophile listening, or SZ-2000 in blasting paper-test bass volume, it handles everything.
L3000.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 594
Than you for correcting me. I misinterpreted a sentence in one of the reviews (probably out of wishful thinking). The manual states what you say and makes the signal path clear.

It's not a big deal since DSD is now pointless for me anyway - needing converting to PCM somewhere to allow DSP/PEQ. I would rather have PCM in the first place rather than have to convert. But that's my problem, now.

The DSP capabilities are really impressive, and I appreciate RME's openness and clarity regarding the DSP engine's limitations at higher sample rates. I can still apply stereo EQ way above anything I'm ever likely to send to the unit. It does far more than I need (I don't record), but the PEQ alone is worth paying for.

I'm very tempted by this unit - I'll have to see how my finances work out over the next few months.

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 594
I have it. It's extremely good, but unfortunately I don't really have anything at the same price tag to compare. Clearly better than RME Babyface and Fireface UC.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 594
I tested this unit yesterday at home when a friend of mine from the "PRO" world came by. I think it's just brilliant! 
very dynamic and airy sound, rock solid imaging. 

Compared with my Lector Digicode S-192 Dac

Well, maybe it's time to move forward from tubes... 

I have a pair of custom made active speakers and a full Stax 009 headphones setup. The Adi-2 Pro behaved very well as a DAC and also as a dac/preamp directly into the speakers.

I placed my order. Will report back with more information. I first thought to get one for a secondary system now I don't know.

Simone

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 594
Got it!

This thing is tiny! Sitting besides my Estro Armonico Nordlys tube preamp it looks even smaller.

I like all the features it has. 

I spent 3 hours to learn how to navigate in the menu. 

Especially I love crossfeed. It's very convenient when you listen to old jazz recordings with strong pan left/right. I have the same feature in Roon with release 1.3 Have to decide which one is better.

Having fun

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 594
  Got it!

This thing is tiny! Sitting besides my Estro Armonico Nordlys tube preamp it looks even smaller.

I like all the features it has. 

I spent 3 hours to learn how to navigate in the menu. 

Especially I love crossfeed. It's very convenient when you listen to old jazz recordings with strong pan left/right. I have the same feature in Roon with release 1.3 Have to decide which one is better.

Having fun

congratulations Simone
I am also interested for this DAC, so I'll be happy to follow your observations.

regards,
Simon

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 594
  Strange that not many people are talking about it.

I think the same applies to most professional gear/studio equipment. It doesn't get coverage in usual hifi magazines, and RME most likely don't see audiophiles as the main target. At least the reason why I didn't consider it was that it will be sitting in a "classic" hi-fi rack where it would look out of place. Secondly, very few people need the ADC.

RME will always have a special place in my heart. I still have the Digi 96/8 PAD that I bought many years ago - this was the sound card that brought me into the hi-fi world. I like that their products are still made in Germany and not the far east just to save on labour. In that respect, the MSRP sounds very fair.

I'll definitely keep up with all the impressions in this thread.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 594
I think this unit is not built to sit in the "classic" HiFi rack, but on its own, desktop etc. It doesn't even make sense in a HiFi rack, IMO (no remote, only one input etc). That said I am extremely happy with the small, no space wasting and less intrusive form-factor, making it easy to quickly swap it around between several places. And while RME has some products now made in China (Babyface...) the majority of their products, including the ADI-2 Pro, are still built in Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back