RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Sep 23, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #586 of 594
cool thats amazing if it hits 4W/64Ohm!!

Nov 19, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #587 of 594
Hello, I can clearly underline what Nomax writes. What the Pro SE offers is actually wonderful. In terms of sound, it harmonizes very well with the Meze Elite. I am very enthusiastic and can warmly recommend this dwarf.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #588 of 594
IMG_5774.jpeg

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #589 of 594
Hello, sound quality wise:

1) does 2/4Pro sound better as a headphone amp (especially via 4.4 balanced vs. 3.5) than regular ADI-2 DAC FS?
I like the idea of having 4.4 connection (all my cables are balanced) but maybe regular ADI-2 DAC FS with 4.4-to-3.5 adapter is going to sound the same?

2) if 2/4Pro sounds better - could 2/4Pro alone as a dac/amp perform on the same level as standard ADI-2 DAC FS + Violectric V280?
I was impressed by this pairing when demoed ADI-2 with my old V280 in the past, but looking also for simplicity - possibly one unit.

I will mostly use it with IEMs (FIR Xe6, Dorado2020), LCD-XC sometimes.

Did some research and couldn't find such comparisions...

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #590 of 594

1) does 2/4Pro sound better as a headphone amp (especially via 4.4 balanced vs. 3.5) than regular ADI-2 DAC FS?
I like the idea of having 4.4 connection (all my cables are balanced) but maybe regular ADI-2 DAC FS with 4.4-to-3.5 adapter is going to sound the same?

2) if 2/4Pro sounds better - could 2/4Pro alone as a dac/amp perform on the same level as standard ADI-2 DAC FS + Violectric V280?
I was impressed by this pairing when demoed ADI-2 with my old V280 in the past, but looking also for simplicity - possibly one unit.

I have both RMEs, but use them in different rooms. However, ever since the first ADI-2 Pro was released, I‘ve been using the series and didn‘t skip a single entry. So I will try to answer your first questions.

1) Yes, the head-amp in the 2/4 Pro is better than in the ADI-2 DAC FS. It has so little noise that it doesn‘t need the dampened IEM out. Yet it still has significantly more power, especially via the balanced out. However, if this is something you‘ll notice when using IEM, that is rather subjective. Personally, I haven‘t noticed any improvements with sensitive IEM, but also never felt like anything is lacking.
If you have a good 4.4 to 3.5 adapter, I wouldn‘t worry much. I have one from ddHiFi and have to say that the contacts aren‘t perfect, but also not bad enough that I personally hear a downgrade.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #591 of 594
I have both RMEs, but use them in different rooms. However, ever since the first ADI-2 Pro was released, I‘ve been using the series and didn‘t skip a single entry. So I will try to answer your first questions.

1) Yes, the head-amp in the 2/4 Pro is better than in the ADI-2 DAC FS. It has so little noise that it doesn‘t need the dampened IEM out. Yet it still has significantly more power, especially via the balanced out. However, if this is something you‘ll notice when using IEM, that is rather subjective. Personally, I haven‘t noticed any improvements with sensitive IEM, but also never felt like anything is lacking.
If you have a good 4.4 to 3.5 adapter, I wouldn‘t worry much. I have one from ddHiFi and have to say that the contacts aren‘t perfect, but also not bad enough that I personally hear a downgrade.
Yes, I own ddHIFI 4.4-to-3.5.

When I tried ADI-2 DAC FS with LCD-XC the headphone amp didn't impressed me.
But connecting FS as a DAC via balanced interconnects to Violectric V280 - it was a great wow.
Have to admit I didn't played with any of the settings except bass/treble so there is probably more to achieve.

What I understand from your answer, the sound quality differences are hard to spot, if any?
So getting 2/4Pro to use as standalone unit will rather not give me a simillar result to ADI-2 DAC FS+V280?

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #592 of 594

I have owned every version of the ADI-2 series (except the Anniversary edition). Sound quality wise, they all sound EXACTLY the same. The only difference is the PRO models have more power and more output/input options. If you need the extra power of the PRO series then get one of those. Otherwise you are fine with the ADI-2 DAC FS. I currently run all of my headphones from the ADI-2 DAC FS. Audeze LCD-5, LCD-XC and ZMF Eikon (even occasionally my 64 Audio Trio). All of the over ear headphones have heavy EQ applied and there is a lot of power/ volume to spare. This is why I sold my RME ADI-2/4. I had it side by side on my desk (really they were stacked) and I had the same EQ's loaded in both. I could not tell the difference. So unless you are gonna be running DCA Stealth, HE6 SE or 1266 etc you won't need more. Perfectly quiet and powerful with IEMs as well. Not one single person , in a double blind test could tell these amps apart for sound quality, balanced or single ended.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #593 of 594
I never owned V280, but I used 2/4pro to feed quite a few HPAs such as Schiit MJ3 and FV, Bryston BHA-1, etc. I wouldn't say that using an external HPA can sound better than 2/4pro alone. The buid-in amp in 2/4pro sounds the smoothest to my ear. I rarely found any sharp edges when listening to 1/4pro alone, but it has a smaller soundstage and maybe some other short comings depending on your tastes. When you pair it with other HPAs, you have more possibilities. Maybe you can find a combo that matches your taste the best.

I also found out that some amps like BHA-1 were very sensitive to the filters. When I first obtained BHA-1, I used NOS on 2/4pro. It just sounded so weird to me although I tried my best to like the combo. For quite a while, I kinda think that BHA-1 was a bad old amp regardless how many positive reviews online, until one day I tried other filters on 2/4pro.

My 2cents: 2/4pro is a great dac/amp itself, but it worth giving other HPA a try if you can.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #594 of 594
Just had been asked in the RME Forum for an EQ preset to reverse ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s RIAA EQ.

It’s for someone who wants to copy 1940’s records and only later apply the correct equalization:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=213818#p213818

By chance I just did one for measurement purpose :)

The inverse RIAA EQ preset needs to be loaded into Output 1/2 or 3/4, and Loopback post FX to 1/2 (or 3/4) needs to be active for recording ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s vinyl input WITHOUT RIAA EQ.
It will NOT work in the Analog Input, as it uses the Bass/Treble EQ bands that are not available there.

The inverse RIAA EQ preset linearizes ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s vinyl input for a frequency response 20 Hz – 20 kHz +/- 0.1 dB.

IMG_3094.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back