RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 3, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #4,442 of 5,991
Just as a dac the adi-2 isn't all that amazing. It's not bad. But it's not great.

Realistically the adi-2 should be bought for the features.

The qutest is a much better dac. With the caveat that it's not particularly great with macrodynamics/'slam', so may come across as too 'polite' sounding for some genres.

For similar money my pick would probably be the gustard x26 pro
Truth to be told, it is utterly unlikely that RME and qutest could be told apart in a blind test by anyone.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #4,443 of 5,991
Truth to be told, it is utterly unlikely that RME and qutest could be told apart in a blind test by anyone.

It's not too difficult to hear the difference - the Qutest has it's own distinctive sound where it pushed the mids in a very detailed holographic manner, it demands the listener's full attention. The RME (ess) takes a more relaxed and neutral approach with the mids which I enjoy more, as I can enjoy it even when I want to relax or during work - the Qutest demands full attention. Even through speakers it's fairly obvious.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #4,445 of 5,991
They're two quite different sounding dacs

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #4,446 of 5,991
Already got it last week. Brand new (foil around the boxm sticker on the power inlet etc.) and with ESS chip.
Ok. That’s good. Sorry I didn’t want anyone else to have the same bad experience as i did with them. I just received my unit today from Scan in the UK. Has a 5 year Warranty with UK Distributor.

I don’t know if it is AKM or ESS.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #4,447 of 5,991
Ok. That’s good. Sorry I didn’t want anyone else to have the same bad experience as i did with them. I just received my unit today from Scan in the UK. Has a 5 year Warranty with UK Distributor.

I don’t know if it is AKM or ESS.
I confirm it is ESS as Serial Number has a C after it and includes additional “Build” filter in settings.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #4,449 of 5,991
If anyone in the UK has a unit of the ess adi-2 that they wouldn't mind lending to get measured I'd be quite keen to do so.

Fingers crossed the IMD hump is addressed

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #4,450 of 5,991
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #4,453 of 5,991
Hey everyone - brand new here.

I have a pair of Audeze LCD-2's (from mid-2013) currently paired with an Asgard 2 (from 2013) and a Modi 3+ (replaced a Bifrost due to lack of optical out on my new motherboard and lack of USB on the Bifrost). And, what can I say? I'm no longer engaged with my music. Everything feels recessed, and that "toe-tapping goodness" is gone. I listened to the RME ADI-2 back in December but felt it was too dark and, hence, didn't pair well with the cooler sound signature of the LCD-2. Would it be worth another audition now that the ESS chip has been implemented? Or should I be looking at an HD-800 S with the RME ADI-2 instead? Thanks for any feedback. Super tough to audition equipment in stores these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back