RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jun 8, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #4,261 of 5,991
Remember the line out is a combination of volume level plus ref level
Most home hifi gear will be happy with 2v line level so look for a combined figure of +8dbu on the RME
@skhan007 -5 + -25 calculates to a very low .024v line level not ideal for good s/n ratio
@simon740 +7 + -11 calculates to .5v also very low

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #4,262 of 5,991
Thanks- if 2v is the target, what calculation should I use to find the right volume and dBu combination on the ADI-2?

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #4,263 of 5,991
Thanks- if 2v is the target, what calculation should I use to find the right volume and dBu combination on the ADI-2?
2v is +8.24dbu
I would start with +7dbu ref level then adjust volume from 0 , you can go beyond +1 if you like and just back off if you start to hear distortion .
This will give best s/n ratio

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #4,264 of 5,991
This may assist with the current discussion regarding noise vs volume when setting a reference level on the RME. I have my volume set to -13dBr using unbalanced out, which allows a 10 o'clock volume setting on my tube amp for most listening. This also correlates to a really high 116 SINAD out of the RME.
SINAD_vs_Volume_Control_-_ADI-2_DAC_AutoRef_Edit.PNG

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #4,266 of 5,991
This may assist with the current discussion regarding noise vs volume when setting a reference level on the RME. I have my volume set to -13dBr using unbalanced out, which allows a 10 o'clock volume setting on my tube amp for most listening. This also correlates to a really high 116 SINAD out of the RME.SINAD_vs_Volume_Control_-_ADI-2_DAC_AutoRef_Edit.PNG
That graph is very helpful!

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #4,267 of 5,991
OK, quick update: I have the ADI-2 set to +7 dBu and -19 on the volume. This enables me to put my tube amp volume at about 8 O'Clock, where 7 O'Clock is no volume on the tube amp. In other words, I'm barely using any volume on the tube amp and it's loud. Anything more (e.g. 9 O'Clock on the amp volume) is painfully loud.

If I turn the ADI-2 volume to -20, it auto click to +1 dBu. Not sure if this is the intended result, but I'm barely using any volume on the tube amp at all with these settings. Thoughts?

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #4,268 of 5,991
When considering an appropriate output level for the RME two main issues must be considered
A. Noise floor (caused by too low an input)
B. Clipping (caused by too high an input)
Both concern the amp and not the RME which will provide class leading performance regardless of output level
If it is possible to determine the amps "input sensitivity" that is ideal since it is a voltage level the amps designer has determined to
1. Allow the amp to output its rated power level
2. Will be in a well designed amp roughly midway between issues A and B
In the absence of an input sensitivity number a good start is 2v rms , the level most dacs , cd players etc use as an unofficial standard
Actual standard for home / domestic is .316v nominal . This is the base level and any dynamic range is additional
If you run into problems such as @skhan007 is experiencing you can lower or attenuate the level as needed , but the lower you go the closer you get to issue A

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #4,269 of 5,991
OK, quick update: I have the ADI-2 set to +7 dBu and -19 on the volume. This enables me to put my tube amp volume at about 8 O'Clock, where 7 O'Clock is no volume on the tube amp. In other words, I'm barely using any volume on the tube amp and it's loud. Anything more (e.g. 9 O'Clock on the amp volume) is painfully loud.

If I turn the ADI-2 volume to -20, it auto click to +1 dBu. Not sure if this is the intended result, but I'm barely using any volume on the tube amp at all with these settings. Thoughts?
In simple terms your headphone and amp are not compatible
A work around
With auto ref switched on turn the volume on the RME down until it will go no lower
Switch on the amp and source but ensure no audio is playing
With the amp volume at its lowest put on your headphones and slowly increase the amps volume
Listen carefully for any background noise if you hear anything stop increasing the volume and back off until silence is restored leave the volume there
If no noise is encountered before reaching maximum all good just back the volume to 12 o'clock leave it there
Now with the RME still at its minimum output play your favourite track and slowly increase the output until you reach the highest volume level you are comfortable with
Name and save the setting you should now have a good useable range on the amps pot

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #4,272 of 5,991
If we're using another amp with the Adi2 should I enable loudness?

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #4,273 of 5,991
Such a great combo IMO. I am still in love with mine. Highly recommend trying power amp mode on the Burson, with loudness enabled on the RME.

IMG_0533.jpeg
Great combo indeed. What headphones are you using?

IMG_20210406_141224 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back