RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Apr 29, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #4,216 of 5,991
ADI-2 already has a good amp which can satisfy many people. But if you are ready to invest in a dedicated amp you will hear improvements.
I wasn't too happy with the THX-789 but the Soloist 3XP or the Pro iCan both improve clarity and dynamics quite a bit. Better separation, air, refinement, definition. Most obviously in bass. To my experience the better headphones you plug in, the more improvement you hear. (I tried LCD-X, Arya, Empyrean with these combos.)

For twice the money (ADI2+good amp vs. ADI-2) don't expect 'twice as good sound', but improvements in the areas above. As I said, the ADI-2 has a decent amp. Currawong said in one of his reviews that he thinks the ADI-2's built in amp performs on a Magni 3 level. IMO it is a little bit better than a Magni 3, but just a little bit. Higher quality amps to my experience will bring the improvements I have described.
Full agree. The built-in amp is great, but use your ears to see if you like it and if you perceive an improvement with external amps. I took my ADI-2 to a couple of hifi shops to test drive it with amps.

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,218 of 5,991
Full agree. The built-in amp is great, but use your ears to see if you like it and if you perceive an improvement with external amps. I took my ADI-2 to a couple of hifi shops to test drive it with amps.
Agreed. And we shouldn't forget that the ADI-2's DAC section is spectacular, competing with some more expensive DACs. That combined with the feature set makes the ADI-2 a very good deal.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #4,219 of 5,991
I've had the RME figured out in less than 3 hours. Never opened the manual. It took me a while to learn how to navigate the menus but now I have a map in my head and know exactly where each setting is. This is by far the best piece of audio gear I have bought. I'm very happy with it
If you substitute "RME" for any other tech based subject then that's exactly what every single one of the guys I'm mentoring says right before they perform a screw-up of expensive and monumental proportions.

Sure the RME isn't complicated, but the manual is worth a read as there are functions that are perhaps not immediately apparent when just flicking through the interface.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #4,220 of 5,991
If you substitute "RME" for any other tech based subject then that's exactly what every single one of the guys I'm mentoring says right before they perform a screw-up of expensive and monumental proportions.

Sure the RME isn't complicated, but the manual is worth a read as there are functions that are perhaps not immediately apparent when just flicking through the interface.
It is easy to get a basic understanding of menu navigation without the manual, if someone is not a complete noob. But I agree the manual is useful. Without the manual I don't think I could have found out how to fine-tune the level of bass/treble increase in loudness mode for example.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #4,221 of 5,991
Is it possible to independently control the volume of the 1/4” and the 3.5mm outputs for simultaneous playback on the RME?

Playback will be on headphones of different sensitivity/impedance hence the question about volume control as I would want to volume-match.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #4,222 of 5,991
Is it possible to independently control the volume of the 1/4” and the 3.5mm outputs for simultaneous playback on the RME?

Playback will be on headphones of different sensitivity/impedance hence the question about volume control as I would want to volume-match.

Thanks in advance!
No, not to my knowledge

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #4,223 of 5,991

Thanks in advance!

No, not possible, since unlike the ADI-2 Pro, the ADI-2 DAC has got "only" one DAC chip (whereas the Pro has got two of them and can therefore control both outputs independently along with the possibility of using both with a special cable configuration for balanced headphone termination; the small tradeoff is however that while the IEM output is completely silent and hiss-free even with IEMs that are as sensitive as the Campfire Audio Andrimeda, the PHONES output showcases just a tiny bit of audible hiss with them (which would still place it at the top of the very best devices in terms of hiss performance, but it's ultimately just a little less perfect than the dedicated IEM output)).

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #4,224 of 5,991
hi guys so im thinking about buying Burson Soloist 3xp to further "improve" sound..

BUT the question is... will it have any impact on Focal Clear s which are very "easy to drive"?

probably yes i think? power is definitely overkill for those, but we all know power isnt everything..

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #4,225 of 5,991
hi guys so im thinking about buying Burson Soloist 3xp to further "improve" sound..

BUT the question is... will it have any impact on Focal Clear s which are very "easy to drive"?

probably yes i think? power is definitely overkill for those, but we all know power isnt everything..
I doubt you would hear a difference Out of any headphones minus a few exceptions. But if it makes you happy it’s not a waste. My Nintendo switch drove the clears with no issue.

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #4,226 of 5,991
I wanted to ask another question... and hope it’s not too silly to ask:

What would be the advantage(s) of RME ADI-2 DAC over a good DAP such as Shanling M8 (used in USB-DAC mode), assuming that the sole use case scenario is using the DAC/amp to provide output for a pair of headphones/IEMs?

So, basically, other functional differences aside (eg the fact that RME has hardware EQ and output to speakers, while Shanling M8 could be used a media transport) — how would the SQ stack up?

Has anyone used a DAP as a laptop/desktop DAC/amp before in USB mode?
It seems like a tempting option due to the versatility, but wonder if I am missing something or overlooking something (vs buying and using the RME for that use case)?

PS Used Shanling M8 for example purposes since I think it uses the same AK DAC chip that the RME has.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #4,228 of 5,991
Could anyone comment on how RME ADI-2 DAC FS (2020 edition) fares compared to the Topping A90/D90 stack by chance, sound quality wise?
Both perform on a very similar performance level in my experience. The A90 can deliver more juice, but if you have a ADI-2 Pro in balanced mode it’s pretty close, though I haven’t noticed many headphones that need more than the 1.5W into 32Ω from the standard 1/4” output of the DAC.

May 25, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #4,229 of 5,991
I may as well post this as i have the adi 2 dac fs.

This is the most expensive piece of equipment that i own to drive my headphones and yes i use the adi 2 dac fs amp.

It is quite a transformation coming from a marantz hd dac1, the sound quality is very nice very clean the depth it just sounds professional to my ear using the denon d7200 at the moment.

I like the many options this has like eq etc.

Pretty just pretty much is my endgame but it will never stop me from seeking better equipment but for the price point of this etc it will be quite hard to beat when i say that we all have different ways of hearing and different tastes in headphones etc,

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back