RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #3,871 of 5,991
Does anyone know any set of tested eq settings for HD25Alum/ADI-2? Or just 25.
I recently discovered the Oratory1990 page of eq settings on reddit where there are, among others, eq settings specially for the adi-2 and a number of cans. Including the hd600.
Unfortunately not for the 25Alum.
(The same goes for Audeze Sine if there is something out there)
Thanks

*Yes the 25 with adi-2 sound great!!!

Have tried both HD25 and the Aluminium and just used the built in EQ. Works a treat with both.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #3,874 of 5,991
I am sitting here with 15+ DACs and Amps and in my EXPERIENCE there is no burn in in electronics considering they are solid state and have very specific voltages especially in something as precise as the RME.

And yet I'm not doubting YOUR experience, I don't know why you simply must doubt mine. Did I ever state that every dac or amp MUST have a burn-in period to sound the best? In my experience, I didn't notice any of it (or at least clearly audible) with 5 other DACs at my disposal.

If caps and resistors have certain values, deviations usually result in a negative impact on them. ECC memory is a great example of how an electronic signal is verified to insure integrity and any deviation is considered undesirable.

If ECC RAM started having burn-in and deviations.it will collapse mainframes and servers at a moments notice.

Please don't even go into that electron debate as solid matter is not 99.99 free space but the atoms that compose that matter are 99.99% free space. That sentence alone tells me that you are not aware of what you are talking about but trying to paint the rest of us as flat earthers.

Well done comparing RAM chips to all the rest of electronics inside audio hardware. Why don't you mention processors or harddisk drives next time, that's almost the same as well. Congrats to completely destroying my point.
Now seriously - if I don't know what I'm talking about, then there are at least both of us :wink:

If you want to sell woo, atleast dress sharp and present a semi correct argument with built in plausible deniability as any proper woo seller would do.
Where did you get an impression I'm trying to sell something to you?

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #3,875 of 5,991
No need to, would just raise the price with little in return.

That's for the consumer to decide surely? What's the difference in cost of the chips? I doubt it's much.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #3,876 of 5,991
Hello everyone,

So the ADI-2 gossip has found my ear and I am seriously looking at it as my next upgrade.
I currently have the Ifi Zen stack (DAC, CAN over 4.4mm bal -> using ZMF Aeolus / HD700 /JH Roxanne), anyone here that has both and can make me more excited :)?

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #3,878 of 5,991
Not to menmtion the AKM fire at the factory, who knows when any new chips will be released.

I was going to say... it will be a long time before AKM gets back to manufacturing these chips, if at all. At this point companies like RME, Schiit, etc. will just go through their stock (I am sure most have a healthy supply) and then switch to Sabre or other chips most likely. So if anything, anyone sitting on the fence about get the ADI-2, should do so before stock runs out.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #3,879 of 5,991
I was going to say... it will be a long time before AKM gets back to manufacturing these chips, if at all. At this point companies like RME, Schiit, etc. will just go through their stock (I am sure most have a healthy supply) and then switch to Sabre or other chips most likely. So if anything, anyone sitting on the fence about get the ADI-2, should do so before stock runs out.

AKM did mention they were looking at outsourcing manufacturing to other sources.

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #3,880 of 5,991
Hello everyone,

So the ADI-2 gossip has found my ear and I am seriously looking at it as my next upgrade.
I currently have the Ifi Zen stack (DAC, CAN over 4.4mm bal -> using ZMF Aeolus / HD700 /JH Roxanne), anyone here that has both and can make me more excited :)?

Thanks!

I have the Roxanne and it sounds great with the RME. Everything else does too.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #3,881 of 5,991
And yet I'm not doubting YOUR experience, I don't know why you simply must doubt mine. Did I ever state that every dac or amp MUST have a burn-in period to sound the best? In my experience, I didn't notice any of it (or at least clearly audible) with 5 other DACs at my disposal.

Well done comparing RAM chips to all the rest of electronics inside audio hardware. Why don't you mention processors or harddisk drives next time, that's almost the same as well. Congrats to completely destroying my point.
Now seriously - if I don't know what I'm talking about, then there are at least both of us :wink:

Where did you get an impression I'm trying to sell something to you?

You do realise every solid state DAC has caps and resistors which are supposed to burn in so burn in should apply to every DAC in your hypothetical scenario.

RAM is made up of Transistors and Capacitors with the data bits being stored on the capacitor, similar to a DACs capacitor and any change in the capacitors tolerance will lead to memory errors and a system crash in the case of RAM.

Your SSD doesn't work any better after you "burn in" for a week since it's already built to certain specifications and will not work any faster or better. It's in the name "SOLID STATE"

A processor is made up of billions of transistors and any change in their tolerance will lead to errors and is one of the reasons why they are so difficult to fabricate with low error rates. Only 2-3 firms in the world have the capacity to build their own chips.

R2R DACs have very high tolerances and one of the common reasons for ladder based DACs failure is a resistor going out of tolerance due to incorrect voltage. The resistors are already performing at their peak specs and there is only one way to go for them and that's down.

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #3,882 of 5,991
That's for the consumer to decide surely? What's the difference in cost of the chips? I doubt it's much.
There was an interesting article by one of the amp manufacturers that discussed the relationship between component parts and retail price. I think it was in relationship to bypassing the outputs to prevent DC but the key point was that there is a multiplier based on parts costs and that often something that seems to the customer like a minor incremental cost in this or that translates into a bigger difference out the door than would be tolerable.

Thankfully, RME is a pro audio company. They have enough of a reputation in their market not to have to chase Chifi chip-du-jour products. The reason all the low-end manufacturers tout their late model dual DAC stuff is because it isn't any good. It's just marketing.

Some of the top players in mid-fi (meaning not high end cost is no object) are using non-top of the line chipdac SOCs. Their stuff (RME for example) is still better than the loss-leader stuff being dumped on the market.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #3,883 of 5,991
Sorry if this might have already been asked and answered before at some point but has anyone here compared the RME ADI-2 just as a DAC to the Schitt Gungnir DS? I am aware that most people who purchase a Gungnir DS eventually upgrade it to the Mulitbit architecture rather than keeping it as a DS and the RME is most likely the better of the two but I'm quite curious all the same. Most comparisons of the RME that I could find thus far have been done with respect to either the Gungnir Mulitbit or the Yggdrasil.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #3,884 of 5,991
My v2 of the RME Adi-2 DAC fs came in today, can't wait to get it home tonight and plug it into the system!

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #3,885 of 5,991
Sorry if this might have already been asked and answered before at some point but has anyone here compared the RME ADI-2 just as a DAC to the Schitt Gungnir DS? I am aware that most people who purchase a Gungnir DS eventually upgrade it to the Mulitbit architecture rather than keeping it as a DS and the RME is most likely the better of the two but I'm quite curious all the same. Most comparisons of the RME that I could find thus far have been done with respect to either the Gungnir Mulitbit or the Yggdrasil.
The Yggdrasil is R2R so it will sound different. Which one you prefer is personal matter of taste. As far as chipdacs go, the RME is extremely musical. RME does DSD and Schiit doesn't. RME has parametric EQ and Schiit doesn't. At the price the RME is a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back