RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 14, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #3,751 of 5,991
I tested the Beyer DT1990/1770, Sennheisers HD800/650/58X to test high impedance headphones and they all got plenty loud. Loud enough to be uncomfortable in 15 seconds. All had a 3db boost applied in bass to stress the RME a bit and the 6.35mm jack was used.

Check the headphone cables or the drivers as they might be shot. It's kinda unbelievable that the RME can't power the HD600. I could get hold of a pair of HD600 in a few days to test it out for myself.
Please bear in mind that gimmeheadroom is the only person on this forum who thinks that the RME doesn't sound great with the HD600 and HD650. It seems to be a big thing with him as he has posted it with monotonous regularity for a long time now but nobody else chimes in to agree - quite the reverse in fact.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #3,754 of 5,991
Please bear in mind that gimmeheadroom is the only person on this forum who thinks that the RME doesn't sound great with the HD600 and HD650. It seems to be a big thing with him as he has posted it with monotonous regularity for a long time now but nobody else chimes in to agree - quite the reverse in fact.

Considering the powerful EQ/PEQ, the RME can tune the HD6 series any which way. I fed the Emotiva A100 BasX from the RME for a few planars and the tweaking of the EQ reflects through the power of the BasX.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #3,755 of 5,991
How do you define well.

If it's hitting 90db with a 6db bass boost at 50-80hz , what else is it missing.
The actual sound quality. Sorry, I don't believe in audio scientology :wink:

What else have you listened to a pair of 600s out of?

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #3,756 of 5,991
Asgard 3, Meridian Prime, Chord Mojo, ifi IDSD Black Label, Schiit Valhalla with the Bifrost Multibit, LHL Pulse xfi femto EDITION, Grace M9XX and Musical Fidelity V90 besides the RME.

Some impart a bit of warmth while some are more analytical and the RME in stock condition is more analytical and can be warmed up with some EQ.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #3,758 of 5,991
Unfortunately, I didn't listen to Verite with RME, but the ZMF headphones are very musical like AQ NH, so it should be ok. Question is what you expect from sound :) As always, it's best to test on your own ears so that you won't be disappointed later.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #3,759 of 5,991
Asgard 3, Meridian Prime, Chord Mojo, ifi IDSD Black Label, Schiit Valhalla with the Bifrost Multibit, LHL Pulse xfi femto EDITION, Grace M9XX and Musical Fidelity V90 besides the RME.

Some impart a bit of warmth while some are more analytical and the RME in stock condition is more analytical and can be warmed up with some EQ.
Valhalla 2 or 1st one? My Valhalla 2 sounds way better than the RME out of my 600s. Not sure about the V90 but most of the rest of those don't have enough horsepower for the 600s.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #3,761 of 5,991
Just goes to show there is no way to talk with audio scientologists. The only thing that matters are calculations. How things sound is off the table.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #3,762 of 5,991
Anyone tried the RME with a ZMF Verite closed?
Looking to set up a desktop system with the ZMF.

I have the VCs paired with the RME and I think it sounds great in either low or high power mode. I bought the RME because it is a super solid all-in-one and I don't have a ton of desk space. I think that if I could have a more dedicated setup I would opt for the Bifrost2 + Pendant. Based on reactions from the community, it is a great combo with the VC.

I have a friend who also has the VC and tested them heavily between the Woo WA7+TP <> Chord Hugo2 <> RME. He said he would rank them:
Hugo + Tubes > RME + tubes == Hugo Only > RME only. But I would stress that even the “worst” one there (RME only) is really, really good.

That said, most people say that the VC only gets better and better with nicer equipment. It scales super well.

As for the whole loudness conversation.... The RME amp has 1.5 watts per channel which is pretty good, but higher wattage will help change the timbre and tonality of the VC. Loudness isn't the only factor and to be honest the whole formula of amplifier impedance / watts / current I have not yet fully wrapped my mind around.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #3,763 of 5,991
Even if the black is out now

It's not coming out (or best case scenario not soon), but I'm aware that many folks weren't crazy about white :)

Sorry for this off-top all :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #3,764 of 5,991
I have the VCs paired with the RME and I think it sounds great in either low or high power mode. I bought the RME because it is a super solid all-in-one and I don't have a ton of desk space. I think that if I could have a more dedicated setup I would opt for the Bifrost2 + Pendant. Based on reactions from the community, it is a great combo with the VC.

I have a friend who also has the VC and tested them heavily between the Woo WA7+TP <> Chord Hugo2 <> RME. He said he would rank them:

That said, most people say that the VC only gets better and better with nicer equipment. It scales super well.

As for the whole loudness conversation.... The RME amp has 1.5 watts per channel which is pretty good, but higher wattage will help change the timbre and tonality of the VC. Loudness isn't the only factor and to be honest the whole formula of amplifier impedance / watts / current I have not yet fully wrapped my mind around.
It's not wattage directly that seems to have the influence on the performance of high impedance dynamics but rather the voltage component of wattage. That seems to be why they do well on tubes and out of solid state amps that can swing enough voltage.

And I wasn't having a loudness conversation.

I was having a quality of sound conversation, but a few people missed it. Badly. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #3,765 of 5,991
This post will be a bit offtopic since I will be talking mainly about my music transport and less about the ADI-2 but working on my audio chain made the RME sound on a different level entirely. What I'm about to share is what I've found by doing different tests in my setup and my personal opinion so take it as is.

I'm using my gaming PC (Asus Prime Z270-A MB) as audio source/transport for my RME ADI-2. I've learned by doing tests for several years that almost everything matters in audio, everything adds a few %'s in sound quality. For my audio chain I'm using the Matrix Element H pci usb card powered by a Linear Power Supply, this goes to the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 that connects to the RME via Coax. Comparing it with direct USB from PC to the RME this upgrade adds a bit of clarity to the sound and makes it sound less harsh, the USB implementation on the RME is very good. If you find the sound a bit harsh you can try the optical toslink, gets very close to the Matrix chain. The differences here are very small, but worth it for me.

What I found that made a very big difference in sound was my ethernet chain. From outside it is connected via fiber optics but my router had a switching psu. I had a Linear psu so I tested it to see if it does something. Acording to the 'experts' ethernet is immune to noise etc. and it should sound the same. Well for me it did NOT sound the same. The difference between the power supplies was very big, the sound was again much better, more analog in nature, less harsh. This was a big upgrade. You can also test this by preloading a song and unplug the ethernet cable from the PC, this should stop the noise and see if it sounds better in your system.

With the last upgrade I thought I was done with the network part of my audio chain by using the Linear psu for the router. Recently saw a video about audiophile network cards with test songs and by listening to that video the differences were again very obvious for me. But since my bias was against it I had to test it myself and see. All this because I've read many forums on what the 'experts' had to say about networking and audio, that it should not make a difference, that everything is a scam etc. So the next step was to see if my motherboard ethernet connection was the problem, and this was easy. I bought a cheap PCI-E ethernet card AXAGON Gigabit PCEE-GRH for 10 euros. Honestly I had no expectation but since it was so cheap I had to test it and see. Well that was easy, installed it and it worked w/o any drivers. The first song with the new card and I was in awe. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Everything sounded so much better, music had more body to it, more texture, cleaner with no harshness, a very big upgrade to my audio chain with just 10 euros by using a network card instead of my motherboard's ethernet connector.

Since the 'experts' said it was not possible to sound different and I found it does, and by a lot, naturally I had to step it up to an audio specific network card where I could use a linear psu. I've decided to get the JCAT NET Card XE, this was the card used in the video I saw with the test songs. Installed it with a bit of problems the pci bracket is a bit misaligned so I can't screw it into the case. Getting past that issue, I didn't have a 5V Linear psu so had to power it via Molex from PC. I expected to sound a bit better then my other cheap network card, but I was wrong again. Honestly I've never in this hobby experienced a bigger sound upgrade like this one. I could not believe it how much of an impact it has on the sound. A veil is lifted from the sound, everything sounds more analog, no harshness, I've heard things in songs that I have never heard before. The instruments sound more lifelike, voices have an amazing texture to them. There is a decay to the instruments, just addictive. And all of this while using PC power via Molex, can't imagine what a good linear psu will do to the sound. A few years back I had the Chord DAVE with the HD800S headphones, with the chain I have now by adding the JCAT NET Card XE the RME ADI-2 sounds like it plays in the same league as the DAVE, but I prefer it more as it doesn't force the sound to you, it is more relaxing in nature.

If I was to believe the 'experts' I would have not discovered how much of an impact a network card had in my system. There is a lot of people that say this doesn't work without testing it themselves, always use your ears to test things out, I regret it that I hadn't found out this sooner. And about the RME ADI-2, just amazing, honestly I can't find any fault to the sound anymore, it sounds analog, lifelike, no harshness, just incredible. Now I'm patiently waiting for the RME 'ADI-3' as my next DAC upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back