RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 28, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #3,271 of 5,991
After a few weeks of testing the power on the ADI-2 with its original power supply and the Audiophonics 90 Euro linear power supply it was a toss up between them. With some songs I'd prefer the original psu, with others the linear one. That really shows how good the psu that comes with the ADI-2 is. For example with other dacs, Qutest the difference was obvious between the switching mode psu and a linear one. I also really love the the RME has variable voltage, between 9v-15v, that makes things much easier.

But apparently not all linear power supplies are made the same. Found that out after buying the Pro-Ject Power Box DS 2 Sources and comparing it with the Audiophonics one. Of course the price difference is huge between them, but in the end for me it was worth it. So how is the Pro-Ject linear psu compared with the stock RME power supply? Well now the difference is obvious from the first song, the linear psu is much much better. The sound becomes thicker, with more texture, the voices have a better impact and the biggest difference is with the instruments, they sound a lot more lifelike now. I hate to use this word, but everything sounds more 'analog' now. Thats the best way to describe it.

The RME ADI-2 with the Pro-Ject Power Box DS2 is on another level, didn't think that was possible since the RME was incredible already with its stock psu. If you are chasing the last %'s of sound quality like me buying the linear psu was a no brainer. This is my personal opinion, and all of us have different hearing and tastes, but with a good linear power supply the ADI-2 becomes sublime. The difference is so profound that I could never go back to stock. But if you already enjoy the stock psu sound ignore everything I wrote, your wallet will thank you later.
Wow thanks for your input. Just to make sure, which voltage/connection did you use from that Pro-ject Power Box? 15V?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #3,272 of 5,991
Ordered a couple of Focal Shape 65 monitors today. Hope they'll sound good with the ADI-2 out of the balanced connection. Since the Shapes are active speakers it means that the ADI-2 is the only device required on my desk (2.0 X 1.0 m), other than the speakers and the PC monitor of course. Total price of this hi-fi mini-system is around US $2,100 and if it sounds like I think it will, I could not be happier. Anyone driving some quality active speakers/monitors with the RME? How do you find it?

I'm driving Yamaha HS8s with the RME. I have nothing to compare them to in terms of monitors, but I'm very happy. Running balanced to the Yamahas, unbalanced to a Wells Milo.

Sep 28, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #3,273 of 5,991
Linearly I notice your findings very interesting with project power supply as I was considering buying the Teddy Pardo outboard power supply for $350 for the RME. I am using the RME with speakers and wondering if you noticed a increase in a more realistic sound stage? I've only owned the version 2 for a few weeks and am really enjoying it only thing I noticed is the soundstage is not as deep,wide and layered as my tube CD player and turntable. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sep 29, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #3,275 of 5,991
Here's a crazy thought: since ADI-2 can run on 12V, why not use a computer power supply? They're not too expensive and most do a good job putting out low noise power.

I guess you will not find a computer PSU that is not based on a switching design.

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #3,276 of 5,991
Ordered a couple of Focal Shape 65 monitors today. Hope they'll sound good with the ADI-2 out of the balanced connection. Since the Shapes are active speakers it means that the ADI-2 is the only device required on my desk (2.0 X 1.0 m), other than the speakers and the PC monitor of course. Total price of this hi-fi mini-system is around US $2,100 and if it sounds like I think it will, I could not be happier. Anyone driving some quality active speakers/monitors with the RME? How do you find it?
Running a pair of JBL 530s amped with a Dayton Audio APA 150 pre amped by a Schiit Audio Saga+ ADI-2 fed via rca. Just love the sound, it all works very well together while leaving the door open for future upgrades. The ADI-2 being the strongest link in the chain is a great place to start any system.

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #3,277 of 5,991
After a few weeks of testing the power on the ADI-2 with its original power supply and the Audiophonics 90 Euro linear power supply it was a toss up between them. With some songs I'd prefer the original psu, with others the linear one. That really shows how good the psu that comes with the ADI-2 is. For example with other dacs, Qutest the difference was obvious between the switching mode psu and a linear one. I also really love the the RME has variable voltage, between 9v-15v, that makes things much easier.

Maybe, but the PSU that comes with the ADI-2 is still a switch mode PSU regardless. IMO your tests say more about the ADI-2's ability to reject PSU noise rather than the PSU being particularly good.

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #3,278 of 5,991
I bought RME about three months ago and I must say it is awesome. I had a few headphone amps: Marantz HD-DAC1, Burson Conductor V2+, Schiit Bifrost 4490 + Asgard 2 and RME is by far superior to them. It low noise floor and super low output impedance produces undistorted and clear sound. No hissing or buzzing whatsoever. If someone needs more warmth or more analytical sound - it's onboard parametric EQ saves the day. While it is only 5-band, it is enough and allows much more sound correction than any AMP/DAC swap. Moreover you get what you want and you can adjust it freely while new DAC/AMP is one way ticket. Crossfeed is really nice too.1.5W of power is plenty and drives with ease even low sensitivity planars. RME actually cured me from audio-voodoo nonsense. Over time I connected it as DAC and pre-amp to my stereo. This parametric EQ is a killer feature. Good job RME! The only thing I could complain about is it's too low weight. It just moves back on my desk when I push gauges. And holding it with hand easily leaves greasy marks on top. Fortunately programmable remote control buttons help here.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #3,279 of 5,991
I bought RME about three months ago and I must say it is awesome. I had a few headphone amps: Marantz HD-DAC1, Burson Conductor V2+, Schiit Bifrost 4490 + Asgard 2 and RME is by far superior to them. It low noise floor and super low output impedance produces undistorted and clear sound. No hissing or buzzing whatsoever. If someone needs more warmth or more analytical sound - it's onboard parametric EQ saves the day. While it is only 5-band, it is enough and allows much more sound correction than any AMP/DAC swap. Moreover you get what you want and you can adjust it freely while new DAC/AMP is one way ticket. Crossfeed is really nice too.1.5W of power is plenty and drives with ease even low sensitivity planars. RME actually cured me from audio-voodoo nonsense. Over time I connected it as DAC and pre-amp to my stereo. This parametric EQ is a killer feature. Good job RME! The only thing I could complain about is it's too low weight. It just moves back on my desk when I push gauges. And holding it with hand easily leaves greasy marks on top. Fortunately programmable remote control buttons help here.
Good timing - I was just going to ask if the EQ feature makes the RME a good buy as you can adjust the sound to cater for different headphone signatures.

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #3,280 of 5,991
Good timing - I was just going to ask if the EQ feature makes the RME a good buy as you can adjust the sound to cater for different headphone signatures.
Yes the eq helps if you don't use it on pc.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #3,281 of 5,991
Wow thanks for your input. Just to make sure, which voltage/connection did you use from that Pro-ject Power Box? 15V?

Yes the ProJect Power Box comes with a bounch of cables, the 9v are very thin, won't fit the RME without soldering, and since I was lazy and RME has variable voltage the 15V one fits perfectly without any modification out of the box.

Linearly I notice your findings very interesting with project power supply as I was considering buying the Teddy Pardo outboard power supply for $350 for the RME. I am using the RME with speakers and wondering if you noticed a increase in a more realistic sound stage? I've only owned the version 2 for a few weeks and am really enjoying it only thing I noticed is the soundstage is not as deep,wide and layered as my tube CD player and turntable. Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm sorry can't comment on the soundstage since I'm only using headphones, but the linear power supply (a good one) changed the sound to the better in every area, can't imagine it won't improve the soundstage too. I'd say give it a try and if you don't like it you can return the psu. Also try and burn in the RME for about 100 hours, mine started to sound much better after that time.

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #3,282 of 5,991
i was looking for a dac amp, but a cheap one. Apparently those topping dx7 pro have issues, and already 600€. I´m between topping dx3 pro for 220€, or the RME for 750€+tax b-stock...

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #3,283 of 5,991
Yes the ProJect Power Box comes with a bounch of cables, the 9v are very thin, won't fit the RME without soldering, and since I was lazy and RME has variable voltage the 15V one fits perfectly without any modification out of the box.
Great, that just further confirms previous reports that RME with 15V PS sounds noticeably better. You are already third person I found on forums to report it.

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #3,284 of 5,991
i was looking for a dac amp, but a cheap one. Apparently those topping dx7 pro have issues, and already 600€. I´m between topping dx3 pro for 220€, or the RME for 750€+tax b-stock...

Hardly anyone regrets getting the RME. If I were you, I would go for a new unit for 950€ on Thomann. Peace of mind in getting a new unit. Mine has been running daily for hours since January 2019.

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #3,285 of 5,991
You can simulate it with APO EQ for Windows. It is also parametrical. Just remember that RME is limited to five bands and you can set gain from -12dB to +12dB and Q from 0.5 to 9.9. Only first and last bands can be shelf filters while all five can be used as peak filters. This does not allow to completely change sound signature but is more than enough to tweak headphones that are already close to your taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back