RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 22, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #2,042 of 5,991
Do you think, if I take the precise measurements of the top metal portion of the rme adi-2 dac and have it 3d printed it would work? In that PMMA or acrylic /plexiglass?
I don't know if PMMA is suitable for 3D printing; it might lose its transparency. If I were you, I'd print the top cover in black (or whatever color you like) ABS, but leave a rectangular cavity in the middle, into which, you can fit a piece of transparent acrylic.

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #2,044 of 5,991
Got to listen to focal elegia, clear and ether 2, clear was very bright and sharp with rme adi-2, but loved the massive detail.
Tuedsy I get the utopia, hd800s, ether flow C
To try out.
Really wanting to try stellia and zmf verite closed.

But I'm afraid anything with great detail will have brightness.
U18t has wild detail and no sibilance!

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #2,045 of 5,991
Thanks so much I appreciate it, you got me started, definitely doing this now!

Note that the picture that you posted - this kind of view you will not get. The Anniversary edition had 3 or 4 LEDs inside with extra top cover to illuminate the PCB. These LEDs are not found in the other ADIs (yours). Not to mention that you loose warranty when you start to open and cut the housing.

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #2,046 of 5,991
Note that the picture that you posted - this kind of view you will not get. The Anniversary edition had 3 or 4 LEDs inside with extra top cover to illuminate the PCB. These LEDs are not found in the other ADIs (yours). Not to mention that you loose warranty when you start to open and cut the housing.
Dissapointing... I guess it is what it is, I loose out

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #2,047 of 5,991
Well, I just got a RME ADI-2 DAC. I've read the whole thread twice in preparation. I have figured out how to navigate the menus and change all the settings. And I think I have gotten the basic setup done to connect ot my home music systems, and headphone setup. I think I am just down to figuring out the sound/DSP settings to optimize both my audio setups. Thanks to everyone for this terrific thread. It's help me get off to a great start.

I bought this main to use in my headphone setup. I am coming from a Chord Mojo, so its an interesting transition. The Mojo has a much different sound (warmer with more slam). At times I wish the RME had a bit more slam. I wouldn't think I need an Amp since my Z7m2 headphones are pretty easy to drive.

I've also tried this in my home setup (Receiver, Speakers). It really excels here. I may end up putting the RME in the home system and buying another Dac/Amp for my headphone setup.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #2,048 of 5,991
Well, I just got a RME ADI-2 DAC. I've read the whole thread twice in preparation. I have figured out how to navigate the menus and change all the settings. And I think I have gotten the basic setup done to connect ot my home music systems, and headphone setup. I think I am just down to figuring out the sound/DSP settings to optimize both my audio setups. Thanks to everyone for this terrific thread. It's help me get off to a great start.

I bought this main to use in my headphone setup. I am coming from a Chord Mojo, so its an interesting transition. The Mojo has a much different sound (warmer with more slam). At times I wish the RME had a bit more slam. I wouldn't think I need an Amp since my Z7m2 headphones are pretty easy to drive.

I've also tried this in my home setup (Receiver, Speakers). It really excels here. I may end up putting the RME in the home system and buying another Dac/Amp for my headphone setup.
As a former mojo user myself, I am stunned to hear anyone mention *slam* and mojo in the same sentence!

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2,049 of 5,991
As a former mojo user myself, I am stunned to hear anyone mention *slam* and mojo in the same sentence!
LOL, maybe I used the wrong word "slam" to convey what I am hearing. I'll try again. I think the Mojo has more solid bass, making the mojo have a more powerful sound. I don't think the Mojo is faster however.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #2,050 of 5,991
LOL, maybe I used the wrong word "slam" to convey what I am hearing. I'll try again. I think the Mojo has more solid bass, making the mojo have a more powerful sound. I don't think the Mojo is faster however.
We each hear what we hear.
I've owned
Mojo
Wm1a
Wm1z
Dx220
Hiby r6pro
Hugo 1 (extensive Hugo 2)
All paired with the 64 audio u18t

I thought rme adi-2 dac v2( without any DSP settings in use to best all of those above in sound quality alone) thr H2 was a clearer listen but more sibilance was present so the rme still wins to me.
I sold all those to progress and eventually come to find rme adi-2 dac v2, and now it's just game over as far as DAC goes.
The iem output is absolutely magical at absolute silence and clariry, but the regula quarter inch output I find weak in pushing some headphones the proper way.
So adding a strong amp like the phonitor for exanple or a tube will make the regular headphone out (quarter inch) to be superior to rme adi-2 dac v2 headamp section. That is its weak spot in my ears.
Add in the properly done, sacrifice free DSP and eq settings and proper crossfeed.. And unprotected sex with your ears is now possible

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #2,051 of 5,991
Got to listen to focal elegia, clear and ether 2, clear was very bright and sharp with rme adi-2, but loved the massive detail.
Tuedsy I get the utopia, hd800s, ether flow C

All of these are easy to drive for the RME up to ear-bleeding volumes..

The iem output is absolutely magical at absolute silence and clariry, but the regula quarter inch output I find weak in pushing some headphones the proper way.

Sounds more like another one that missed the High Power setting...

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2,052 of 5,991
All of these are easy to drive for the RME up to ear-bleeding volumes..

Sounds more like another one that missed the High Power setting...
I turned it on, it was just missing something out of the quarter inch.. I plugged them in a phonitor (phonitor was powered by the rme adi-2 dac) and it drove it better, stronger more dynamic, to me a clear winner as far as power and clean goes, superior to the rme adi-2 dac Amp side (quarter inch) for iem I prefer rme.
I love the rme dac, sound quality DSP, vast features and pleasant screen. It was no slouch but I would say the phonitor, strickly looking at sound quality out of the quarter inch out was about 30/40 percent better than the rme... I'm a big fan, but I have to give credit where credit is due.
High power setting was turned on. Listened in SD sharp and slow, after initial thoughts on eq off I did eq on just to fool around and the rme did a great job as usual and the headphones responded well to minor eq changes as well.
Loved it all, but the clears were bright, the ethers not so much, going to skip utopia out of the rme, and just get the stellia.

Remember, amp is not solely about just driving something to Loud volumes. A 50$ amp can do all that.... But it is the *authority * or energy it can drive it with, more of an effortless sound, on caffeine... Ect.

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #2,053 of 5,991
And it is subjective self-delusion like this, derived without precise volume matching and accurate comparison, that is the only real difference. Your description of the missing properties are typical audiophile placebos. There is no 'authority' problem with the RME unless you try to drive a HE-6.

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #2,054 of 5,991
And it is subjective self-delusion like this, derived without precise volume matching and accurate comparison, that is the only real difference. Your description of the missing properties are typical audiophile placebos. There is no 'authority' problem with the RME unless you try to drive a HE-6.
Sure. Whatever makes you pet the rme more and give it the attaboy chat.

I listened for a few hours, to my best trial of volume matching by ear. I apologize for my 3/5db difference margin. The phonitor was significantly *better sounding * out of thr quarter inch. I haven't gotten the chance to try its balanced way of things but I would think there would be further changes.
The cans sounded punchier, crisper, cleaner vs the rme (quarter inch) in your beloved high power mode.

With that said is the phonitor worth 2k for it to make it happen? Not to me....
Would I buy one used at 1.2k? Idk...
Does it have the incredible price performance the rme adi-2 dac has.... Pfffft No!
Did it sound better to me with every can I put in it? Yes....
Significantly?... I guess.

Are you butt hurt?.... Possibly

Feb 23, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #2,055 of 5,991
Yes but how can I make that happen just thr glass, don't need it to say anything, how do I make it or buy and cut the metal and attach?

Check out some of the PC modding videos on Youtube about adding a window to a PC case. There is an edge gasket that you can get that has a channel on one side that holds the gasket to the hole in the case, and a 2nd channel on the inner edge that holds the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back