RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 16, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,846 of 5,991
Hi Guys

Im using my ADI 2 FS to run my Feliks Euforia. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are optimal settings for pushing the signal to the Amp?

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #1,847 of 5,991
I wouldn't change anything unless your headphones don't sound right to you. Would be interested to know how you like the Feliks. I might be in the market for another tube headamp to drive off a few DACs.

I would run the RME output at 0db or whatever the reference level is and control it with the amp. I would not EQ until something bothered me at the far end.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #1,848 of 5,991
I wouldn't change anything unless your headphones don't sound right to you. Would be interested to know how you like the Feliks. I might be in the market for another tube headamp to drive off a few DACs.

I would run the RME output at 0db or whatever the reference level is and control it with the amp. I would not EQ until something bothered me at the far end.

Oh really at 0db? Whats the reason for this?
Well the Euforia is one of the best things i have heard. While choosing my headphones(Meze Empyrean) i was testing a lot of cans with a Chord Dave. And i must say that ,at least for my taste, the Euforia is superior.
But I dont really have the experience to review Amps. I just try stuff and pick what sounds nice to me XD.
There is a very long thread on the Euforia though: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-euforia-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.831743/ A lot of people with a lot more expertise have tested it.

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #1,849 of 5,991
Well the Euforia is one of the best things i have heard. While choosing my headphones(Meze Empyrean) i was testing a lot of cans with a Chord Dave. And i must say that ,at least for my taste, the Euforia is superior.
But I dont really have the experience to review Amps. I just try stuff and pick what sounds nice to me XD.
There is a very long thread on the Euforia though: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-euforia-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.831743/ A lot of people with a lot more expertise have tested it.

Because it's supposed to be the lowest-noise way to use digital output. That way you control the volume at the amp. I run all my digital sources 100%.

Glad you like the Euforia! I saw the Feliks threads and am going through them. I don't think I'm gonna spend the 2000 euros for that one though. I might get the Expressivo though.

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #1,850 of 5,991
Because it's supposed to be the lowest-noise way to use digital output. That way you control the volume at the amp. I run all my digital sources 100%.

Glad you like the Euforia! I saw the Feliks threads and am going through them. I don't think I'm gonna spend the 2000 euros for that one though. I might get the Expressivo though.

In the end its always the budget..... But i would give the Elise a shot. Not far behind the Euforia. And then maybe some different tubes. The result could be very close or even the same.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #1,851 of 5,991

Euforia is excellent! One of my favorite amps from everything I sampled at CanJam this year.

I agree that 0.0db is the best way to run the RME into an amp unless you need pre-amp functionality from the DAC if your gain is really high (like in the case with Liquid Platinum), however I think that modern digital gain control no longer suffers any degradation of signal like devices did in the past. But I don't have the source of this info. From my experience I've noticed no reprecussions in signal quality with negative volume positions on the RME.

I think the Elise would be a better option than the Espressivo. I listened to the entire Feliks line-up at CanJam this year and while the Euforia was definitely the king, the Elise wasn't too far off. The lower tier amps from Feliks though did not impress.

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,852 of 5,991
Just arrived.
26CE581D-95D9-4719-8D69-555549E24858.jpeg

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #1,854 of 5,991
Thanks @Afsa and @bryceu

If it gets too close to 1000 euros I'll probably go Violectric instead. Still not sure at this point.

I'm looking for a good, transparent tube amp with plenty of power. The Expressivo looked better from that standpoint but if it doesn't sound good there is no point.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #1,856 of 5,991
Thanks @Afsa and @bryceu

If it gets too close to 1000 euros I'll probably go Violectric instead. Still not sure at this point.

I'm looking for a good, transparent tube amp with plenty of power. The Expressivo looked better from that standpoint but if it doesn't sound good there is no point.
It wasn’t bad sounding, just not a standout. I can’t recall any specifics since it didn’t leave much impression.

Dec 23, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #1,857 of 5,991
oh its a V2. Do you maybe have a V1 and can compare?

So I guess you know about the V2... I just signed up to head-fi to specifically ask if a new version had been released. B&H and Sweetwater both list the rme dac as preorder only and the previous (same?) one as discontinued. Do you know what’s different?

Thanks and sorry if this has been discussed, but I can’t find anything so far.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #1,858 of 5,991
So I guess you know about the V2... I just signed up to head-fi to specifically ask if a new version had been released. B&H and Sweetwater both list the rme dac as preorder only and the previous (same?) one as discontinued. Do you know what’s different?

Thanks and sorry if this has been discussed, but I can’t find anything so far.
The newer version has the newest AKM chip version. It provides measurable improvements from a technical standpoint, but not much in terms of real performance. The newer version also has a new remote with more features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back