RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 15, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,638 of 5,991
Hey guys,

I am looking for an upgrade to my Concero HP. Because I plan to use its substitute with iems, the Hugo 2 which has the advantage of being portable, appeared like the perfect choice.

I got the chance to audition the Hugo 2 (30 to 45 minutes) connected to my phone via Bluethooth, and I have to admit it is a splendid device: it sounds more open, the bass extends further with more slam (and may be more body). I could hear details more easily.
But I suspect the highs might be a problem for me, and I found the mids to seem a bit on the leaner side.

Because of that, I am hesitating with the ADI-2. I have read a few comparisons, but rather short.

Can possessors of both devices elaborate on the differences between them?

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #1,640 of 5,991
Can possessors of both devices elaborate on the differences between them?

This is like comparing a kitchen knife to a swiss army knife with multiple blades - ADI-2 is so much more versatile unit. Soundwise both are stellar and in my opinon none of us can hear any differences between them. You should decide based on your needed use cases.

Sep 29, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #1,642 of 5,991
Guys can you tell me if it's safe for the device being always on (display is always off in my case)? Like Schiit DACs.
Second question why input:auto does not work with toslink - only coax and usb?

As long as the ADI-2 is in a ventilated location where it won't overheat, I don't see why you couldn't leave it on all the time - however, unlike Schiit's R2R DACs you don't need to keep the ADI-2 "warm" so IMO it's pointless to keep the ADI-2 on all the time.

Sep 29, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #1,643 of 5,991
As long as the ADI-2 is in a ventilated location where it won't overheat, I don't see why you couldn't leave it on all the time - however, unlike Schiit's R2R DACs you don't need to keep the ADI-2 "warm" so IMO it's pointless to keep the ADI-2 on all the time.
It's just that I don't need to turn it on everytime when I play music, which is quite few times a day.
I don't use heaphones, so I'm never 'around' it : )

Sep 29, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #1,645 of 5,991
Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #1,646 of 5,991
Use the remote? :)
That's what I'm doing, but I don't like it's cheapness and the fact that I need to look for it only for pressing one button.
But from now on I'll just leave it on all time.
Trigger input is exactly what I was yesterday hoping to find on my RME, but no luck.
I don't like Harmony remotes, they are big chunk of plastic. : )

Another question:
Do you hear the difference between toslink and coax input?
I do and don't know if it's the cable or port implementation.
From my experience usually it's the port, cables do not make big difference if they are good quality already.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,647 of 5,991
That's what I'm doing, but I don't like it's cheapness and the fact that I need to look for it only for pressing one button.
But from now on I'll just leave it on all time.
Trigger input is exactly what I was yesterday hoping to find on my RME, but no luck.
I don't like Harmony remotes, they are big chunk of plastic. : )

Another question:
Do you hear the difference between toslink and coax input?
I do and don't know if it's the cable or port implementation.
From my experience usually it's the port, cables do not make big difference if they are good quality already.

I prefer optical over coax on this DAC and only use USB for firmware upgrades and Digicheck

Sep 30, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #1,649 of 5,991
For me sound from optical is more "in your face", while coax and usb are more linear, which is the reason why I'm using RME in the first place.
Well USB decrapifiers make it sound more in your face too just like optical you say.
So maybe more forward presentation is more realistic and that could be because of noise removal.

Sep 30, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,650 of 5,991
I get the best sound, from my system via optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back