RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jun 23, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,397 of 5,991
The speakers got the amp build into itself. So I have to manually switch off both speakers everytime I want to use my headphone lol
I see.

As @Phoniac suggested
I could use my RME-ADI 2 DAC Phone out either 1/4 inch or 3.5mm to give my speakers the needed signal and use the remote to switch in between.
Sounds like it should work. The downside is that the RME headphone op amps will be ahead of the speaker amps. I expect you will hear some compromise.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #1,398 of 5,991
Good day guys!

I have recently bought a set of Massdrop THX AAA 789 to pair with my RME-ADI 2 DAC for the balance output but now I'm facing a problem.

As previously I'm using RME-ADI 2 DAC to feed my JBL LSR305 via Balance XLR out, now with my new addition THX AAA 789 I'm running it with RME Unbalance RCA Out.

So when I'm using my THX AAA 789 I can't mute my speakers and both my headphone and speaker plays together!

Any idea to mute my speakers other then physically switching the power off?

I use this in my chain with my JBL 305s...works well and adds a nice volume control to my desktop for the JBLs. That being said I’m using currently the El DAC single ended into it with “balanced” out to the JBLs.

Oops link to product lol: Nobsound Mini Fully-Balanced/Single-Ended Passive Preamp; Hi-Fi Pre-Amplifier; XLR/RCA Volume Controller for Active Monitor Speakers (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXC9HHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZE8dDbP5BWHFZ

Jun 23, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #1,399 of 5,991
Jun 23, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #1,401 of 5,991
Something like this might work, I have other similar products and they work great, no sound degradation : https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Aud...or/dp/B07R1XCNHG?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_14493203011
That looks good. Now I know you can set different volumes according to input (USB, Optical) but can you set different volumes according to output? I like to keep my XLR connection to my THX on fixed volume and the output of my RCA connection to my Adams on variable so I can control the speakers volume.

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #1,402 of 5,991
I see.
Sounds like it should work. The downside is that the RME headphone op amps will be ahead of the speaker amps. I expect you will hear some compromise.

In fact that's an advantage. Due to the very low output impedance of only 0.1 ohms you could use unshielded cable to your amplifier - it would still work. IMO an external controller, no matter if passive or active, will have more potential to degrade the sound than the additional 'headphone op amps'.

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #1,403 of 5,991
hello, I am new to this thread. At present I have
1) cowon plenue 2 which has 3.5 mm output and also 2.5 mm balanced out put
2) Audeze LCD-2
3) iem-JH AUDIO Rosie
4) stax L700 with SRM 353
5) External speaker- BEOLIT 17

Need to go for good dac amp so that i can add some more value/quality to my existing setup. Is adi-2 shall suit my current set up?
My primary requirement --
a) to have good amp
b) also good dac so that i can use my TV output /mobile output to external speaker

Shall ADI-2 will be ok?

thanks in advance.

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #1,404 of 5,991
In fact that's an advantage. Due to the very low output impedance of only 0.1 ohms you could use unshielded cable to your amplifier - it would still work. IMO an external controller, no matter if passive or active, will have more potential to degrade the sound than the additional 'headphone op amps'.

Hi @Phoniac

Would it be better if I use the phone out for my jbl lsr305 or thx aaa 789?

Seems that using the phone output to THX AAA 789 aaa to be a better pair.

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #1,405 of 5,991
Either situation is a compromise due to added circuitry. Whether the compromise is acceptable depends on how resolving the system and the listener's tolerance for such things. Running my main system through a headphone amp would be quite intolerable because it would definitely degrade the sound. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #1,406 of 5,991
Either situation is a compromise due to added circuitry.

Couldn't be more wrong than that. Check the manual's Block diagram in chapter 31.16 - nothing 'additional' for the phones output compared to the XLR output. Then check the tech specs which confirm that the phones output offers same SNR and THD as line output. So where is the sound degraded exactly?

Jun 25, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #1,407 of 5,991
In-fact, in the case of the Pro Fs, using both front phones outputs in balanced mode with TRS to XLR cables offers the highest line performance out of the unit and exceeds the rear XLR specs. In that instance, you get up +28dBu and SNR increases by 3dB.

The headphone outputs are specifically designed to be fantastic line outputs as well.

Jun 25, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #1,408 of 5,991
EDDDE583-F031-43E4-9146-EB922C3CCB8A.jpeg

Sorry but I have a question.

I tried to use the line out from the phone output but the problem is its just a single TRS output from the phone out.

My speaker needs Dual TRS 1/4" to run well.

If I split the single trs signal as shown above in the manual 3.5mm TRS to dual 1/4 inch TS then the sound degradation is too much.

How do you exactly use the phone out to JBL LSR305? Sorry for the trouble as im just into this hobby.

Jun 26, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #1,409 of 5,991
hello,
I am not much audiophil but i like listen good quality sound. I have Audeze LCD-2. I am planning to buy RME-ADI-2. Can someone guide me for following-

1) Apart from listening through my headphone (LCD-2), can we attach external bookshelf speaker to RMEADI-2?

2) Can I attach my smartphone (samsung S9) ?

Jun 26, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #1,410 of 5,991
hello,
I am not much audiophil but i like listen good quality sound. I have Audeze LCD-2. I am planning to buy RME-ADI-2. Can someone guide me for following-

1) Apart from listening through my headphone (LCD-2), can we attach external bookshelf speaker to RMEADI-2?

2) Can I attach my smartphone (samsung S9) ?
Yes to both. You're gonna need either a pair of RCA cable or XLR cable depending on your speakers, and a Type-C to USB B cable or a USB Type-C male to USB A female OTG adapter (easier to come by) that then connects to the supplied USB cable for your S9.

Oh and if your speakers aren't active (which usually have RCA or XLR input) then you may need a power amp between the RME and your speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

• Quiz
Back