RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #961 of 5,991
Good to join the club! Sound quality is really clean with loads of fine detail, and refreshingly less forward than my previous sabre DAC:thumbsup:

Only negative I can think of (for me at least) is that connecting cans/iems mutes the line outs, to speakers in my case. So, there appears no way of leaving the cans plugged in permanently and turning their output off from within the menu or remote command. It's no biggie but I would have preferred less plugging/ unplugging.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #962 of 5,991
Good to join the club! Sound quality is really clean with loads of fine detail, and refreshingly less forward than my previous sabre DAC:thumbsup:

Only negative I can think of (for me at least) is that connecting cans/iems mutes the line outs, to speakers in my case. So, there appears no way of leaving the cans plugged in permanently and turning their output off from within the menu or remote command. It's no biggie for sure but I would have preferred less plugging/ unplugging.

Any recommendations for cans that match the ADI-2 well up to, say, 300ish euros? On proviso is that they need to be reasonably tight fitting for smaller heads:weary:. Closed or open back fine.. thanks!

There’s a setting (Setup -> Device Mode -> Mute Line) to allow you to manually toggle between headphones/IEMs and line out by pressing the volume button.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #964 of 5,991
I recently purchased a Monoprice liquid platinum to go with my ADI-2. Will give impressions once I receive it and give it some listening, you can't hardly buy a pro-ish, product without a built in headphone amp they all have em... lavry, benchmark, mytek, rme, dangerous, etc.. I find your comparison to the 789 interesting. I've not heard the 789 but I figured it would be a little better then RME's headamp, but it seems like it's mostly comparable from your impression. Im glad I decided to not get one, at least with the Liquid Platinum it's a tube hybrid so even if it's not technically better, it will give some nice tube coloration. I've been without my RME for about a week now, sent it back to Synthax for RMA of defect, still waiting for a replacement, im ready to have it back.. I will say I was/am pretty impressed and surprised by the headamp's performance, as some had led me to believe that it was nothing special and an afterthought/convenience amp. While it may not be the last word in amp power, i'd certainly not describe it as "just there for convenience" or low performance.. not at all. Considering the price of the DAC, it's often paired with end game amps and 1k-3k amps, im sure it does not compare favorably in that scenario, nor should it. But these people forget what a 500$ head-amp sounds like.

Interested in the outcome of the comparison with the LP. I see they are on backorder until 4/16. If I really find myself buying a hard to drive HP like an HE6, I am thinking of perhaps. an Audio gd NFB-1 or something like that.

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #965 of 5,991
Got the liquid platinum in today, but only have motherboard audio as a source (yuck).. it's decent as far as that thing go's.. Realtek 1150 with a dedicated op-amp but still trash compared to what im used to. The ADI-2 will be back in the house next wednesday.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #966 of 5,991
Got the liquid platinum in today, but only have motherboard audio as a source (yuck).. it's decent as far as that thing go's.. Realtek 1150 with a dedicated op-amp but still trash compared to what im used to. The ADI-2 will be back in the house next wednesday.
The suspense is killing me!

Are you just using stock tubes for now?

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #967 of 5,991
Yeah, I just got the LP in today, and I haven't had much time to listen to it yet. Just stock tubes for now, some russian 6922's.

Feb 24, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #968 of 5,991
I just bought one here :

http://www.lemicrophone.fr/produit.php?ref=4260123363178&id_rubrique=272

Useful for French members, currently (Feb 2019) 50€ cheaper than Thomann.

I would have waited, because I am right in the middle of moving house, but needs must ....

The do not appear to deliver outside France if bought on the website. I bought through the website, but went to the shop (not far from Metro Pigalle, in Paris).

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #969 of 5,991
ADI-2's showed up on Amazon Prime again, so I just ordered one. Should be hear on Wed. Looking forward to trying it on my CMA600i. Just wish I could get a Liquid Platinum to compare with it.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #972 of 5,991
[QUOTE = "Quinto, post: 14803297, membro: 120902"] Mi piace molto di più il mio ADI-2 da quando ha fatto alcune ore ... la tonalità è migliorata un bel po '... Fa benissimo con il mio HD800S, quindi dannatamente pulito [/CITAZIONE]

Eccellente Rme con HD800S per me ... Two is better than one, tell me if it's not love!
IMG_4580.JPG

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #975 of 5,991
Two, that's hardcore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back