RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #811 of 5,991
If I ended up with this DAC, I would output it to a device with preamp capabilities downstream to control volume. Worth It!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #812 of 5,991
If the software you are using supports DSD playback, I asume it does, there is no reason to permanently convert your DSD source files to PCM. Just turn off DSD direct mode on the RME and let the RME convert from DSD to PCM on the fly. You will then have volume control through all outputs including the headphone jack. The DSP functions of the RME will be disabled however. I'd recommend on the fly DSD to PCM conversion in your playback software if DSP is important to you when playing DSD. Taking the time to convert your DSD content to PCM is just a waste when software like Foobar and JRiver and the RME can do this for you in real time. Some people have such a hatred for DSD that they would prefer to see it eradicated. I'm lossless format agnostic myself.

I am using HQ Player and have a specific set of filters enabled for my current DAC (Brooklyn+). I like HQ Player because of its CUDA Offload feature which lets me leverage the power of my GeForce Titan X Graphics card to do all the heavy lifting during conversions and such. as for format... used to be .wav until I hated fiddling with the metadata constantly from player to player. all my CDs are ripped to no compression FLAC, have around 100 SACD's ripped to .ISO and .DSF. I also have some DVD-A and Blu Ray Audio ripped to 24/192 FLAC.

I was supposed to have my ADI-2 DAC delivered today, but unfortunately FedEx ran into cold weather issues enroute to the delivery hub and I wont see it till tomorrow (perhaps). I guess I should read more talk less and figure this thing out once I receive it

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #813 of 5,991
There is no heavy lifting with modern cpu. Probably peg your 9900k at like 0.22% usage on one core. Using cuda for such a weak workload seems crazy

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #814 of 5,991
There is no heavy lifting with modern cpu. Probably peg your 9900k at like 0.22% usage on one core. Using cuda for such a weak workload seems crazy

CPU is a 4790K and the titan is pushed to 18% while upconverting to DSD512 in real time. so it leaves me headroom to do some video encoding at the same time.

the CPU runs at about 20% during the same operation. considering I built this computer 4 years ago and it still handles everything I throw at it to this day all is good

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #816 of 5,991
You do have volume control with DSD. @technobear is incorrect here. If you use DSD Direct (an option), that disables all additional processing--including volume control--and only lets you play via line out. That's the purist function for people who are DSD junkies.

Source: Me. I got an ADI-2 DAC over a year ago and I've listened to quite a bit of DSD with it. Edit: Listening to a couple of DSD track right now via JRiver on my RME ADI-2 DAC with volume control.
I already said this two pages ago. Perhaps you missed it:

In DSD Direct OFF mode, you have volume control and headphone output but the DAC chips are converting the DSD to PCM before converting to analogue. You also have DSP in this mode.

This is all described in some detail on page 32 of the user manual. You did read the user manual, didn't you?

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #817 of 5,991
Volume control in all Chord DACs are also digital, yet they support DSD. Same with my current DAC Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital. I think you can ask the DAC chips to perform volume modifications, which is performed on the output stage.

If volume is done in DSP, you lose effective resolution.
The RME combats this in two ways.

First, the volume control is performed at 32-bit resolution so you have to turn it down a long way to lose anything.

Second, it has Automatic Reference Level setting which adjusts the gain of the analogue stage on the fly depending on volume selected so the digital volume control isn't attenuating as much as the display is indicating.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #818 of 5,991
Silly question...

I have my RME on my nightstand for bedtime listening... Any way of turning of the red led when the unit is powered off?

Thanks

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #819 of 5,991
This question was asked on the RME support forum and the answer was "No", because it is hardwired, not controllable through firmware updates.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #823 of 5,991
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back