RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #751 of 5,972
What i liked dac... Even as a dac its worth it easily, just saying amp is nothing impressive. i might even buy 1 cause dac is great, even better than 2qute i tried few times. If youre try better amps you will see.

Agree, depends on the headphones you have whether the amp section will be okay. The amp section is good technically but just doesn't sync well with certain headphones. Fostex TH-X00 series are such headphones that just don't like the amp of the ADI-2 DAC... they sound thin and overal lacking with it, loosing their fullness and bass. The Campfire Audio Cascade syncs really well with the ADI-2 DAC on the other hand and doesn't like the amps the TH-X00 prefers.

I didn't really get the ADI-2 DAC for it's amp section being it's for my STAX rig.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #752 of 5,972
Hi, I did AB with the Burson V2 + HD800S headphones which is a great dac-ampli powerful with the saber 9018, as iMac source with Audirvana album in DSD and PCM, I did not expect such a power from the small RME in Hi- power, I was struck by the silence of Adi2, difficult to explain in words, yes the clear silence between the various instruments and voice of De Andrè for example, then has a crazy resolution and neutrality never heard for now, I listened to 2 months ago Chord Hugo2 and was equal as a dac to my Burson but could not make the full potential of the 800S as power, I can not understand how they could have managed to build and the price of this little ADI-2.

My ranking:

1 RME ADI-2 dac

2 Burson conductor V2 +

3 Chord Hugo 2

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #753 of 5,972
Hi, I did AB with the Burson V2 + HD800S headphones which is a great dac-ampli powerful with the saber 9018, as iMac source with Audirvana album in DSD and PCM, I did not expect such a power from the small RME in Hi- power, I was struck by the silence of Adi2, difficult to explain in words, yes the clear silence between the various instruments and voice of De Andrè for example, then has a crazy resolution and neutrality never heard for now, I listened to 2 months ago Chord Hugo2 and was equal as a dac to my Burson but could not make the full potential of the 800S as power, I can not understand how they could have managed to build and the price of this little ADI-2.

My ranking:

1 RME ADI-2 dac

2 Burson conductor V2 +

3 Chord Hugo 2

The H2 needs an external amp for difficult to power headphones for sure. I run the H2 through the iFi Pro iCan. The ADI-2 headphones jacks are definitely better than the H2. I agree with you that the high-power mode on the ADI-2 is very good. I also run the ADI-2 through the iCan Pro sometimes, but not because of any power issue, more to get different sound profile flavors. In fact, right now, I'm running the ADI-2 straight to my T1 without the iCan Pro. Also, generally, I run the ADI-2 straight to the KSE1200.

Jan 18, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #754 of 5,972
Just got my RME ADI-2 DAC and listening now to my good old AKG K501 with some EQ for extra bass..Keith Jarrett Trio sounds very impressive, I was surprised by the (high) power outputn and the smallness of the thing itself..So glad it sounds good, otherwise I would feel conned :wink:

The menu will take me some getting used to but it works great with my new PC speakers, the SWAN MK200mkIII, only the volume knob on those kinda sucks..also the RME's neutrality works great with the slight tubish signature of the speakers.

Does anyone know if the sound will change some over time?

Jan 18, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #755 of 5,972
The H2 needs an external amp for difficult to power headphones for sure. I run the H2 through the iFi Pro iCan. The ADI-2 headphones jacks are definitely better than the H2. I agree with you that the high-power mode on the ADI-2 is very good. I also run the ADI-2 through the iCan Pro sometimes, but not because of any power issue, more to get different sound profile flavors. In fact, right now, I'm running the ADI-2 straight to my T1 without the iCan Pro. Also, generally, I run the ADI-2 straight to the KSE1200.

You could just use any amp you like with hugo 2 anyway even if your phones dont need a lot of power to add a bit of flavour, possibly smoothness or warmth.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #757 of 5,972
Does anyone have experience using this DAC with an android device running UAPP? Don't really want to open the unit if it doesn't work with android.

Can someone test it for me?

Thanks

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #758 of 5,972
Does anyone have experience using this DAC with an android device running UAPP? Don't really want to open the unit if it doesn't work with android.

Thanks

It works with my Pioneer Android DAP. I can’t speak to UAPP but the Pioneer audio App sends audio bit perfect to the RME. You will need an OTG cable with the proper connector for your Android device and a USB B device connector on the RME end. I picked mine up on Amazon for about $6.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #759 of 5,972
It works with my Pioneer Android DAP. I can’t speak to UAPP but the Pioneer audio App sends audio bit perfect to the RME. You will need an OTG cable with the proper connector for your Android device and a USB B device connector on the RME end. I picked mine up on Amazon for about $6.

Thanks for the reply... I plan on using a Zidoo X9S as my source. Not sure if I will need a an OTG cable. I didn't need one when connecting the Zidoo to my Oppo HA-2SE. I might be able to get away with just an USB A-Male to B-Male cable.

The seller I purchased the DAC from doesn't seem to think it will work with Android... So I am a little afraid to open the packaging and find out.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #760 of 5,972
I would love to get one of these, but I would like to incorporate this into my music studio setup, I would need to piggyback my audio interface with this. Want to go from the optical out of my interface into the optical in of the RME so that I am using the DA converters of the RME only. Would Windows 10 recognize both units and would this setup work at all?

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #761 of 5,972
I would love to get one of these, but I would like to incorporate this into my music studio setup, I would need to piggyback my audio interface with this. Want to go from the optical out of my interface into the optical in of the RME so that I am using the DA converters of the RME only. Would Windows 10 recognize both units and would this setup work at all?

If understand correctly you want to go from PC -> Audio interface via USB, and then from Audio Interface -> ADI-2 DAC via optical?

If so then Windows would not recognise, nor need to recognise the ADI-2, as it would be being fed an optical signal. An optical signal is simply piped out and requires no acknowledgement on the part of the receiver. Windows would only recognise your audio interface, and not what happens thereafter in the chain.

Yes, as described, the setup should theoretically work.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #762 of 5,972
If understand correctly you want to go from PC -> Audio interface via USB, and then from Audio Interface -> ADI-2 DAC via optical?

If so then Windows would not recognise, nor need to recognise the ADI-2, as it would be being fed an optical signal. An optical signal is simply piped out and requires no acknowledgement on the part of the receiver. Windows would only recognise your audio interface, and not what happens thereafter in the chain.

Yes, as described, the setup should theoretically work.

Basically, my musical equipment will go into the interface, then the digital output of the interface will go into the digital input of the DAC and the output of the DAC will go to my cans and speakers. The concept is to use the DAC/RME to convey the best quality sounds via my cans and speakers since a really good AD/DA interface alone, such as the higher end RMEs or Apogees would be over twice as much and might not have as good an HP amp in it.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #763 of 5,972

Thanks
I quickly tried my LGv30, via OTG and the stock music app, to my RME ADI 2 DAC and worked just fine. I do not have UAPP on my phone. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with UAPP.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #764 of 5,972
I quickly tried my LGv30, via OTG and the stock music app, to my RME ADI 2 DAC and worked just fine. I do not have UAPP on my phone. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with UAPP.

Thanks so much...I appreciate you trying it out. It's killing me not to open this new DAC.

Hopefully RME will get back with me tomorrow about any limitations when connecting an Android to their device.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #765 of 5,972
Hopefully RME will get back with me tomorrow about any limitations when connecting an Android to their device.
All they can tell you is that ADI2-DAC is fully USB Audio Class 2 compliant and it should work.

You've already proved that your set top box is compliant by using it with an Oppo HA-2SE.

It should just work, however there are no cast iron guarantees where Android is concerned.

It is highly unlikely that you will find someone on here who has this set top box and an ADI2-DAC so you are just going to have to try it for yourself.

If it doesn't work over USB (highly unlikely), then you could just use the optical connection instead.

EDIT: and no, you won't need an OTG cable. Others were assuming the device was a phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back