RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 25, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #676 of 5,973
That is a tough tough call.

I’ve said in the past that i think the rme adi-2 dac is the absolute best value per msrp dollar piece of audio gear i’ve ever owned, performing far far above its price point.

While not as fast as the h2, it is definitely “good enough” to make the utopias highly satisfying to me. I have other dacs but the h2 and adi-2 are the only two that i use the utopias with. Everything else i own just makes the utopias feel...well...”less”.

The h2 utopia combo can be a tad bright on a good number of songs, though an eq feature on a dap helps a ton wothout removing detail.

Either way is a great choice.

Heck, the adi-2 and h2 are two pieces of gear i will never sell. They’re both just that good.

I’m still leaning towards the ADI-2 due to cost and from what I understand the USB implementation is good (H2 sounded much better via Schiit Eitr). Makes the H2 more expensive as I’d have to buy that to. Makes the whole package less transportable once again.

Also, having used the Liquid Platinum for a few days I’m in love with that. Wallet suggests that I should err on the cheaper side when it comes to the DAC for now. :)

Means I can evaluate all my headphones (including IEM) direct from the RME and then through the LP too. (Not that I couldn’t also do that with H2 of course).

Dec 28, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #677 of 5,973
Anyone tried this DAC on Linux?

Planning on pairing it with Meier Corda Classic FF / Feliks Lise for my HD800S.

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #678 of 5,973
I would also be very interested how this DAC compares to Bifrost Multibit or Meier Daccord FF.

The RME ADI-2 seems to have a lot of features and capabilities but I wonder if I will ever need those. I feel like a basic 24/192kHz DAC is enough for most ppl. So it comes down to quality vs price.

Anyone had a chance to compare the ADI2 vs Bifrost Multibit or Meier Daccord (FF)?

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #679 of 5,973
guys question: anyone here using a music server and are mostly digital?
i use roon labs and tidal...using a sonictransporter i5 as my server (ipad or laptop is the visual interface)
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonictransporter-i5

....how would you hook it up to this dac?

just wondering if i'd need an ultrarendu or a streamer to enhance the signal
(looking at auralic g2 down the road)

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #680 of 5,973
guys question: anyone here using a music server and are mostly digital?
i use roon labs and tidal...using a sonictransporter i5 as my server (ipad or laptop is the visual interface)
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonictransporter-i5

....how would you hook it up to this dac?

just wondering if i'd need an ultrarendu or a streamer to enhance the signal
(looking at auralic g2 down the road)
You need to connect the DAC to an endpoint. I use my ADI-2 DAC at my desktop but I could easily feed it signal from my HiFiberry/RPi Roon endpoint.

Dec 29, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #682 of 5,973
thanks....so would my sonictransporter 5 be the endpoint?...or would it have to be a bridge such as the sonore ultrarendu etc?
I'm not familiar enough with the sonictransporter to know if it functions as an output as well. Technically Roon Server runs as core and output so if you can connect a DAC to the USB on the sonictransporter and it shows up in Roon then you should be fine. I watched a video on the sonictransporter and there seems to be a local playback function but I'm not sure when it does. Do you currently have a USB DAC you can connect to the device to test?

Dec 29, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #683 of 5,973
I'm not familiar enough with the sonictransporter to know if it functions as an output as well. Technically Roon Server runs as core and output so if you can connect a DAC to the USB on the sonictransporter and it shows up in Roon then you should be fine. I watched a video on the sonictransporter and there seems to be a local playback function but I'm not sure when it does. Do you currently have a USB DAC you can connect to the device to test?

thanks, just currently using a chord mojo so it should work with sonictransporter i5..i see it has usb 2.0

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #684 of 5,973
thanks, just currently using a chord mojo so it should work with sonictransporter i5..i see it has usb 2.0
If your Mojo is connect to the Sonictransporter and working then the ADI-2 DAC should work too. If you end up needing another endpoint and don't want to drop a lot of cash on something like the ultrarendu you can look at allo RPi products. They have many different solutions including a USB hat designed for connecting DACs via USB.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #685 of 5,973
Please i need help! My adi 2 dac does not decode above 44.1 bit rate on my tidal with my windows 10 computer but it does accurately with my qobuz. What might be the problem i have done every settings i can on tidal including selecting exclusive use with tidal. I also have been trying to upgrade the firmware but it's not happening. I will appreciate your helps . Thanks

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #686 of 5,973
Please i need help! My adi 2 dac does not decode above 44.1 bit rate on my tidal with my windows 10 computer but it does accurately with my qobuz. What might be the problem i have done every settings i can on tidal including selecting exclusive use with tidal. I also have been trying to upgrade the firmware but it's not happening. I will appreciate your helps . Thanks

I had the firmware not updating thing for about 5 minutes. Then I updated the driver first, rebooted, and firmware update worked.

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #687 of 5,973
2bdtPpj
Came in the mail today so I had some reading to do on my lunch break:beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back