RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Aug 19, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #406 of 5,991
Aug 19, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #407 of 5,991
Aug 19, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #408 of 5,991
Pretty sure I'm packing this up to send back.

Aug 19, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #410 of 5,991
IMO the ADI-2 DAC's internal amp sounds a lot more lively with the DAC's loudness setting switched on, nonetheless, I usually output my ADI-2 DAC to a dedicated amp because I'm still trying to accept that DSP manipulation (other than crossfeed) is okay.

I tried the slow filter equalizer correction for 44.1 kHz audio and though the impact is subtle, it's definitely there and for the better. I continue to be blown away by this DAC!

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #411 of 5,991
Hitting us with this shocking news on a Sunday? That's rough man. Couldn't save the heartbreak for Monday?

Enjoy your micro iDSD BL. :o2smile:
Well, I've tried everything that folks have suggested, including setting the output to High Power, playing with the EQ settings and other options. If I had no other device to compare to...I'd most likely be happy as a clam, and I'd be singing the DAC's praises. It does sound excellent. There's no denying that. But next to the BL...it creates a fair amount of doubts. The output also seems limited even on High Power. When increasing the volume, it starts to break up at a much lower volume than expected. The retailer suggested possibly going into the Pro for $100 more. But the marked down Pro is the model before the Pro fs. The real advantage that I see is the balanced outs for the headphones. I'm completely confused and dismayed over this whole thing.
Any unmentioned suggestions to try with the 2 DAC?

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #412 of 5,991
Often in headfi we speak of tweaks and mods which produce barely perceptible nuanced changes . A magic cable or some fluff stuffed behind a driver is announced as the new perfection .
These RME ADI units are pro level sound shaping devices , output can be modified over a wide range of parameters to near infinite variation .
If this is of no value best move on

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #413 of 5,991
I agree. Don't think there's really any chance kino is going to change his mind at this point. Not really worth throwing more ideas up that may or may not really make a difference. To me initial impressions are very important. I have changed my mind after initial impressions, but it is a bit rare when it comes to audio.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #414 of 5,991
Well, I've tried everything that folks have suggested, including setting the output to High Power, playing with the EQ settings and other options. If I had no other device to compare to...I'd most likely be happy as a clam, and I'd be singing the DAC's praises. It does sound excellent. There's no denying that. But next to the BL...it creates a fair amount of doubts. The output also seems limited even on High Power. When increasing the volume, it starts to break up at a much lower volume than expected. The retailer suggested possibly going into the Pro for $100 more. But the marked down Pro is the model before the Pro fs. The real advantage that I see is the balanced outs for the headphones. I'm completely confused and dismayed over this whole thing.
Any unmentioned suggestions to try with the 2 DAC?
Have you also compared ADI-2 and BL using iems like your Andro's? Same impression as with the Clears?

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #415 of 5,991
Have you also compared ADI-2 and BL using iems like your Andro's? Same impression as with the Clears?
I thought about trying that, but I don't favor IEM's because of the sound isolating factor. I bought the Clears after buying two different pairs of IEM's and thought that I was completely happy with them. Then I listened to open back HP's which aren't isolating at all. Back to the question...I did consider the possibility of the 2 DAC paired with my Andros. However...I'm perfectly happy pairing with the QP1R. If the RME sounds better that's great, but I lose the portability that IEM's afford.
I've spoken to the retailer and he has suggested I spend some time on the phone with one of their tech support guys to see if there might be something defective since they've only received stellar feedback on RME products. So I'm going to do that. I'm completely open to not having to ship anything back and would love to hear what I was hoping for.

Aug 24, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #416 of 5,991
I thought about trying that, but I don't favor IEM's because of the sound isolating factor. I bought the Clears after buying two different pairs of IEM's and thought that I was completely happy with them. Then I listened to open back HP's which aren't isolating at all. Back to the question...I did consider the possibility of the 2 DAC paired with my Andros. However...I'm perfectly happy pairing with the QP1R. If the RME sounds better that's great, but I lose the portability that IEM's afford.
I've spoken to the retailer and he has suggested I spend some time on the phone with one of their tech support guys to see if there might be something defective since they've only received stellar feedback on RME products. So I'm going to do that. I'm completely open to not having to ship anything back and would love to hear what I was hoping for.
Perhaps it is even possible to listen to a different unit, just to make sure yours isn’t defective in some sort of way. When it comes to important matters in life, one should be as rigorous as possible.

I was just curious whether you preference for BL relative to ADI-2 is headphone specific. That’s why I asked about the Andros. Perhaps it is the specific synergy with the Clears that doesn’t work out for you. If so, I understand that you send the unit back, it should serve your main HP well (especially the red/black pro version, which is a superior HP in any conceivable way due to the colors!).

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #417 of 5,991
Perhaps it is even possible to listen to a different unit, just to make sure yours isn’t defective in some sort of way. When it comes to important matters in life, one should be as rigorous as possible.

I was just curious whether you preference for BL relative to ADI-2 is headphone specific. That’s why I asked about the Andros. Perhaps it is the specific synergy with the Clears that doesn’t work out for you. If so, I understand that you send the unit back, it should serve your main HP well (especially the red/black pro version, which is a superior HP in any conceivable way due to the colors!).

The retailer wants to rule out any chance of a defective unit. I see that you're using the same HP's and IEM's. What are your impressions with the Clear's?

Aug 24, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #418 of 5,991
I listened to native DSD music with iem with DSD Direct (line) on and DSD Filter at 150 khz. However, the loud portion of the music is extremely and unbearably loud even the volume is turned to the lowest level at -0.0 db. Is there anyway to further lower the volume to bearable level?

Aug 24, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #419 of 5,991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back