RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jul 13, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,456 of 5,991
I am intersted in the adi-2 dac, but i am in doubt between this and the audio gd 28.38 or r28. Anyone have listened to both of them?

Or is there another dac/amp i should be wary about? (I listen to both headphones and active speakers equally)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
The RME is a fantastic piece of kit.

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #1,459 of 5,991
Is there any known issues with channel imbalance with this dac? I have to put its balance to 10 right to seemingly get it right with spl meter. Tried three sources and checked cables.

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #1,460 of 5,991
Is there any known issues with channel imbalance with this dac? I have to put its balance to 10 right to seemingly get it right with spl meter. Tried three sources and checked cables.
Funny - I have the exact same setting and thought it must have been my hearing! Will have a look with my Diligent scope and see what's what.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #1,461 of 5,991

I've had two different ADI-2 DACs and an ADI-2 Pro FS and channel balance has always been essentially perfect. Sounds like a faulty DAC, amp, tubes, or transducers.

Presumably you're checking with the ADI-2 DAC by itself with multiple different headphones?

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,462 of 5,991
I've had two different ADI-2 DACs and an ADI-2 Pro FS and channel balance has always been essentially perfect. Sounds like a faulty DAC, amp, tubes, or transducers.

Presumably you're checking with the ADI-2 DAC by itself with multiple different headphones?
Yes either bug in the software of the RME ADI-2 or something else RME related. It does the same weither I use the rca or balanced connecters to the amplifier. And coaxial, optical, usb all do the same. I haven´t tried the internal amplifier for a while because it never impressed me anyway but may get around to it some day.

All my headphones get this inbalance when run through RME with no balance adjustments. And they are all fine on other sources.

It sure sounds alright once I balanced compared to Audio GD Reference 9 there surely aren´t any audible distortion or anything that sounds odd in any of the channels.

Jul 17, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #1,463 of 5,991
Yes either bug in the software of the RME ADI-2 or something else RME related. It does the same weither I use the rca or balanced connecters to the amplifier. And coaxial, optical, usb all do the same. I haven´t tried the internal amplifier for a while because it never impressed me anyway but may get around to it some day.

All my headphones get this inbalance when run through RME with no balance adjustments. And they are all fine on other sources.

It sure sounds alright once I balanced compared to Audio GD Reference 9 there surely aren´t any audible distortion or anything that sounds odd in any of the channels.

Interesting that you mentioned the reference 9, because someone offered a reference 10 to me for around the same money of the adi-2.

Would you think the dac of the reference 9 is comparable to the adi-2 and how about the headphone out?

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #1,464 of 5,991

Does this happen from the headphone sockets on the RME?

Are you using Auto Ref Level and what happens if you select a fixed level instead (or vice versa)?

Is the Mono setting (IO menu) set to "To Left"? Set it to "Off".

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,466 of 5,991
Auto ref was on. With it off I got it to within a db with my spl metre so it was probable related to that.. Why whould auto ref on boost one channel more if it was that? Mono was off at least. I essentially run it at default settings or so I thought :p.
Will try the socket tomorrow.

As for Reference 9 it´s so little between them.. I would not make the blind test I recon. Reference 9 is only a DAC but it´s absolutely humongous. My home theater receivers occupy less space. Fascinating to look into and weight a ton but as far from portable you get :p

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #1,467 of 5,991
Auto ref was on. With it off I got it to within a db with my spl metre so it was probable related to that.. Why whould auto ref on boost one channel more if it was that? Mono was off at least. I essentially run it at default settings or so I thought :p.
Will try the socket tomorrow.
It shouldn't do that. Wonder if it will do the same for both front ports.

Have you flahsed the latest firmware (26/30 I believe)? A re-flash might fix it.

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,468 of 5,991
Trying the Hifiman Ananda on it now. It sounds good but it always sounds good :p
I am not even using the hi power setting seem to do fine anyway.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #1,469 of 5,991
Just wanted to pop in here and share my love for my new RME ADI-2 DAC. I've had it for a week or two now and still feel as impressed with it as the first day I got it. Great detail and super clean, pairs well with the THX 789. And I think I finally got the menu fully down :D
As far as line output, what volume do you guys set yours out when feeding an amp via the XLR? I have it at -6.0dBr (+13 dBu) as the manual said I should be getting good voltage going into the amp that way. Anyone able to shed some light on this for me?
Cheers.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #1,470 of 5,991
Just wanted to pop in here and share my love for my new RME ADI-2 DAC. I've had it for a week or two now and still feel as impressed with it as the first day I got it. Great detail and super clean, pairs well with the THX 789. And I think I finally got the menu fully down :D

Are there noticeable differences when listening to your headphones using the ADI-2 alone versus ADI-2 + THX 789?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back