1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

RME ADI-2 DAC Thread

First

Back
67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76
78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87
Next

Last
  1. WildStyle-R11
    On a side note, if a bright page is hurting your eyes that is because of your setup. If you want to be able to look at a white page, crank up your display brightness and sit in a well lit room. That helps a lot. On the other hand if you prefer dark background and sit in a rather dim room, you want to lower your brightness.

2. CaptainFantastic
    Understood and thanks for the advice.

The point is that at 11 p.m. I do want to sit in a rather dim room, but Qobuz can only offer me a super white background for the desktop. How do I deal with that aside from turning on bright lights at that late hour? I much prefer the quality of Qobuz to Spotify, but the Spotify desktop app has a nice black background. This is my criticism, Qobuz does not give me the option to be in "evening mode" currently from a desktop perspective.

3. abirdie4me
    At least I can link Qobuz to Roon, which has a much better (dark) interface. My issue with Roon is there is no good way to search by file resolution, you have to go on a hunt for it. I understand the point is to listen to good music and not obsess about file resolution, but a better search functionality would come in handy for comparing headphones/speakers/dacs/amps, etc. Tidal makes it easy, there's an obvious 'M' by the track name or you can use the separate 'Masters' tab to find stuff to sample.

Given that my ears can't discern much difference between MQA and the native hi-res streaming of Qobuz, the choice between the two would break down as follows (for me):
    • Amount of available music that fits MY interests - Tie
    • Multiple users on single account - Tidal
    • Interface - Tidal
    • Price - Tie (costs a little more for Tidal but I get 5 accounts)
    • USA vs. France - N/A (some may care one way or the other, but I don't)
    • Jay-Z and other high-profile owners - N/A (some may care one way or the other, but I don't)
    • MQA IS EVIL - It sounds good to me, but not enough that I would forego an outstanding DAC like the RME ADI-2 because of it; I also wouldn't buy a great DAC like the Brooklyn + simply BECAUSE of MQA. But for those posters who talk about it being evil, I think that is way overboard. It's a technology that can deliver good (at least) quality and save you bandwidth, by a for-profit company. If you don't like their business model or technology, then don't buy or support it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  4. WildStyle-R11
    There is also a program called "f.lux". I think windows also has some kind of "night" mode?

If all else fails, skew your hue. :D

5. hornytoad
    Qobuz lacks a lot of indie artists I listen to.

abirdie4me likes this.
  6. WildStyle-R11
    Things like this is why I still, just collect music myself.

hornytoad and cardeli22 like this.
  7. Relaxasaurus
    Very informative post and even prompted me to uninstall the RME drivers myself to get auto sampling rate switching to work. I uninstalled it all but Foobar WASAPI push still yells at me that I don't have the matching sampling rate set in the generic Win10 sound control panel. I go to the panel only to see 32-bit options available, so nothing is playable via wasapi. Looks like I'm installing the drivers again...

rme_settings.png

Rant: I can't believe this isn't more of an issue for people. Bit-perfect sampling rate switching was so seamless with my cheap SMSL DAC, big bummer it's such a process on the RME.

8. Luckbad
    Weird. I'm going to check out WASAPI in foobar2000 tonight. I can use it and ASIO without issue in JRiver.

Relaxasaurus likes this.
  9. Luckbad
    I am able to select WASAPI 32-bit output data format in foobar2000 and it worked without issue.

While it's not showing a change in the Sound properties within Windows 10, it is showing the actual sample rate on the ADI-2 DAC.

It fails to function correctly using WASAPI (Event) mode in foobar2000 for me as well. Event style works fine in JRiver.

upload_2019-4-11_21-58-29.png

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  10. Mizicke5273
    Give WASAPI Pull a try. On my Gungnir, I had to switch from Event or Push to get it all working correctly.

11. WildStyle-R11
    Blame windows as that is the root of the problem here. I'm even having problems with PCM I can't set it higher than 192 @ 24, or apps don't have any audio.

12. BrainFood
    Got a similar problem here. I use JPLAY 7 (femto), which uses kernal streaming for low latency playback, and a NUC PC as server/streamer via USB. The ADI-2 is unable to play 24 bit files, whereas 16/44 files play fine. Higher sample rates, such as 96k are okay, it's just the (hi res) bit rate that doesn't work.

Connecting my Gustard U16 DDC to the ADI-2 (via spdif), and using the U16's driver, then 24 bit files play perfectly. Or if I swap the ADI for a Mytek Brooklyn, using the Mytek's driver, again 24 bit files.. no problemo.

Having liaised with JPLAY support, the problems appears to be that the RME windows driver (0.9861) does not support KS (wasapi even style) for hi res playback.

To illustrate this, I installed kernal streaming support component into Foobar 2000 and loaded up a 24 bit, 88k flac file of Alphonse Mouzon's Shoreline. With 'KS: Madiface analoge 1&2' as device and 24 bit 'output data format', it says 'KS output error opening device'. Whereas with 16 bit output selected, it works perfectly.

I have the U16 to partner with the ADI-2 but unfortunately it doesn't sound quite as good as the ADI-2's USB input, so sticking with that at 16/44 for time being.

rme1..png rme2..png

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  13. Luckbad
    Post on the RME forums. They're very responsive.

cardeli22 and BrainFood like this.
  14. Relaxasaurus
    Ok using an optical cable from the computer to the ADI-2 does auto sample rate switching and is actually faster at switching than USB. Only downsides are you are limited to 96kHz max and no DSD without resampling to 96kHz PCM or lower through software. I only have a handful of DSD files so I'm just going to deal with this for now.

15. technobear
    This: https://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000

I'm listening to one right now and there is no problem switching between DSD128 and DSD256 and PCM44.1 and PCM48. It's seemless and the RME says it is receiving DSD when it should.

You guys need to stop fighting with inferior player software :-D

First

Back
67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76
78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87
Next

Last