RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #631 of 5,974
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #632 of 5,974
The RME ADI-2 will act as DAC and Preamp for an electrostatic setup, and does very well at it. My setup is a little different from a regular E-stat setup because I need to use the ADI-2 for volume control since decided to use my NAD C275BEE stereo amp with a Mjolnir SRD-7 transformer to drive my STAX rig. Works beautifully though... bass is simply spectacular along with fullness of sound because of the C275BEE and the ADI-2 bring clarity and detail along with most impressive black background - plus you have crossfeed and 7 channels of custom EQ you can use to get it how you want it.

Here's some pictures of my current STAX rig configuration:

i-kPqJXCR-X4.jpg

i-TtDFGXx-X4.jpg

i-rpBHwSn-X4.jpg
also what software is that on the screen that you're running ? is it foobar2000?

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #633 of 5,974
Dec 14, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #634 of 5,974
Fantastic rig dude, super jelly!! :) im also thinking of using a laptop because my desktop pc tskes too much room, how you finding the lenovo? Also, did you have any issues with the ADI-2 DAC when it came to drivers or software updates?

It's just a basic, lower end Lenovo but works well with Foobar2K, which is the player I use on PC/laptops. No complaints for the price and no real issues in use for music playback. Have not had any issues with the ADI-2 software on Windows 10 that I recall and I'm not one for keeping up with firmware updates unless there are serious issues they deal with. Have not tried updating firmware of the ADI-2 DAC, still running the version it shipped with (19).

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #635 of 5,974
That's a really bad idea. Firmware is now on 26/24, with numerous serious bug fixes that you might misinterpet as 'sound signature' when running into it, especially the (sometimes only slightly) distorted sound playback over USB after using SPDIF. The firmware update takes less than a minute and one can always go back to a former firmware version, so there is no real excuse not to update.

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #636 of 5,974
It's just a basic, lower end Lenovo but works well with Foobar2K, which is the player I use on PC/laptops. No complaints for the price and no real issues in use for music playback. Have not had any issues with the ADI-2 software on Windows 10 that I recall and I'm not one for keeping up with firmware updates unless there are serious issues they deal with. Have not tried updating firmware of the ADI-2 DAC, still running the version it shipped with (19).
Im probobly gonna plug it in to update, after update ill only use fiber optic not usb

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #637 of 5,974
19 is two versions ago? I think mine came with 19, but then upgraded to 24/23 and that changed the interface a bit. I wasn't paying too much attention when upgrading to 26, so haven't really noticed any interface changes.

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #638 of 5,974
Placed an order for my RME ADI-2 DAC on sunday!!! getting it within this or next week! hopefully and not after Christmas :frowning2: as i'll be back to work then and vacation will be over.

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #640 of 5,974
Lets hope we get our ADI-2 DACs soon!!!

PS: man was it expensive >.<;;; but for me as a source, this will be my end game. it has such a usable amount of headphone power that i dont think i'll ever need an amp.
I'm never gonna be using crazy powerful headphones anyways partially because they're out of my price range.

I tried the Audeze LCD2C and Focal Clear Professional at the store. and man! they felt great on the head, coudlnt hear them because i had no source :'(

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #641 of 5,974
Lets hope we get our ADI-2 DACs soon!!!

PS: man was it expensive >.<;;; but for me as a source, this will be my end game. it has such a usable amount of headphone power that i dont think i'll ever need an amp.
I'm never gonna be using crazy powerful headphones anyways partially because they're out of my price range.

I tried the Audeze LCD2C and Focal Clear Professional at the store. and man! they felt great on the head, coudlnt hear them because i had no source :'(

Sorry but you will need an amp for anything but IEM's. There was very little bass with my HD800's direct from the DAC, add in my amp and the bass came back!

The Arcam rHead is a great amp to use with this dac.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #642 of 5,974
Sorry but you will need an amp for anything but IEM's. There was very little bass with my HD800's direct from the DAC, add in my amp and the bass came back!

The Arcam rHead is a great amp to use with this dac.
you sure? ive heard lots of people talk about using the 6.35 input with more power hungry headphones and the bass was perfectly fine. maybe you had it on low power setting?

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #643 of 5,974
Sorry but you will need an amp for anything but IEM's.
Sorry to create a disagreement at this joyous time of the year but that is simply not true. The ADI2-DAC works brilliantly with T1, T5p and LCD-X. No additional amping is needed.

There was very little bass with my HD800's direct from the DAC, add in my amp and the bass came back!
If ever there was a 'Marmite' headphone, it's the HD800. I think they sound weird at the best of times and need a coloured amp or EQ to get decent bass out of them. The ADI2-DAC is of course perfectly capable of creating a flat (or desired) response from an HD800 if used as intended.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #644 of 5,974
you sure? ive heard lots of people talk about using the 6.35 input with more power hungry headphones and the bass was perfectly fine. maybe you had it on low power setting?
Remember where you are :wink: Sorry for your wallet country.

I do get my LCD-2 and HD 800S powered from it. And they do sound good. I do admit they do sound better to my ears on the Massdrop THX AAA 789 for example but it does power them.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #645 of 5,974
To be fair, ive had a listen to the HD800 and they sound meh... i honestly think there are better headphones out there for the same price or less.
imo, HD800 is over hyped to the max. I've yet to hear the HD800S properly, and i havent tried the HD820 yet. so no comment on thoes, but i would never personally buy the HD800 for my setup. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back