1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

RME ADI-2 DAC Thread

First

Back
94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103
105 106 107 108 109 110
Next

Last
  1. Quinto
    ..I'm still happy with my ADI-2 and V280, it does look a bit understated though compared to your SPL lol Bet it sounds awesome
    I have their phone stage (phonos ) which is really good in many ways, great brand

Darthpool likes this.
  2. Darthpool
    I also love the synergy between the Phonitor XE and the ADI-2DAC, it is my go to for evaluating headphones. For distortion happiness I go RDAC and one of my tube amps lol

Quinto likes this.
  3. Allanmarcus
    Ty using the loudness option. It will bump up the bass a bit at lower volumes, then reduce it if you play the amp louder. You can google loudness to learn about the history of the loudness option in home receivers and amps.

The easiest way to start experimenting with EQ is the with bass and treble knobs on the RME. The next easiest is to the use the EQ on your computer. If you are using iTunes or jRiver, eq is trivially easy. Play with it in software first as the RME interface for EQ is not great for an experienced person, let alone an experienced person Maybe one day they will put all the controls into software accessible on a computer, but I'm not holding my breath.

Darthpool likes this.
  4. technobear
    Yes, the ADI2-DAC can sound like this. All you have to do is use it for 200 hours. I also recommend the 'Slow' filter.

Quinto likes this.
  5. technobear
    There's a clue in the words 'just received'. Come back and tell us how it sounds after 200 hours of use.

bidn likes this.
  6. kdickin2
    I doubt I'll get that many hours on the head amp total in the unit's lifetime. I bought it as a DAC for my living room speaker set up, where it performs beautifully when fed by an Allo DigiOne Roon endpoint. The DAC section really is phenomenal.

I will admit that my initial impressions of the headphone amp were made based on a first listen a few days ago when it was new out of the box. I listened to a few more tracks over the headphone amp this afternoon, and it does seem to have lost a lot of the congestion that I noticed on first listen. The DAC line out, by contrast, sounded excellent out of the box. I still don't love it as a headphone amp, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt that it would open up further with some more hours on it.

7. Docharsha89
    Your EQ parameters helped the HD650 sound more forward, and alive, If I may say that. Coming to the Audioquest Nighthawk, there is a very mild recession in the mids, in B3 (Green Band), could I increase the values given by you (+3.5dB) to +6dB ? Does making use of EQ tamper with the sound, the manufacturer of the headphone originally intended ? Just an honest doubt... :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  8. adeseaso
    I'm usually one to notice changes (willingly accepting that it's often my hearing adjusting) but with the RME I haven't found any difference at all over 500 hours or so. Using the slow filter out of preference as well.

It's been sitting beside a Mojo and Hugo on my shelf and I disagree that the RME can sound like a Chord. Different structure and timbre to the sounds they make. I've scratched my head over why and I assume the difference must be hidden in the time domain because it's certainly not a frequency response difference.

Plenty of wiggle room for subjective takes in a RME vs Chord comparison imho.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  9. Soundwave76
    That's probably the first time you hear a transparent DAC + headphone amp. This is how your music should sound without any colorations from inferior devices.

Tennessee, frogmeat69 and bidn like this.
  10. Docharsha89
    I use the De-Emphasis setting while using optical input. I use an Audioquest Carbon Optical cable, and from what I'm hearing, I prefer it to the USB input. The USB input sounds a bit warm and coloured when compared to optical. Atleast that's what I'm hearing. USB in comparison is extremely well implemented, when compared to something like the Chord Mojo, which to be frank, SUCKED through USB input. Coming to de-emphasis, I feel its inactive when I'm using Optical input, since it sounds more "mellow" once I turn it on, as it cuts out the HF sounds a bit. What is your take on this..? Is it worth turning it on, at the loss of Treble detail and air ?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    bidn likes this.
  11. eugenius
    RME gives you EQ to make your nasty superior device into an enjoyable inferior device. :D

dRnRcR, Bart147 and Soundwave76 like this.
  12. Soundwave76
    ^ yes, but it’s your choice to use them or not. A key difference. :)

Gradius likes this.
  13. Chesterfield
    So much of high end audio seems like it's about frequency swapping: change a cable, or whatever, and you hear new details in one frequency range, but lose others. The RME ADI-2 DAC is the first piece of equipment I've bought in years that I can definitely say I hear more, without frequency swapping. It just sounds more natural--meaning you year so many more of the micro details that make instruments sound like they should. This is a truly massive step up from my Schiit Gungnir.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  14. Gradius
    Sorry for bump, just saw this one.

Depends actually...

The HD650 is capable of 500mW (or 0.5W) continuous max (as per EN 60-268-7 aka IEC 60268-7:2010), so it depends. If RME ADI-2 DAC output under DIN 45580 specs, then, and ONLY then, is 200mW (or 0.2W).

HOWEVER, since RME ADI-2 DAC is a product made in Germany by germanies, I'm pretty sure it uses the most updated Europe specifications (International since 2010), hence EN 60-268-7 and not DIN 45580 (besides, DIN is pretty much dead, that thing is from 1975 and shouldn't be used anymore).

What's more? HD650 is also made in Germany, and they indeed uses the EN 60-268-7 specs.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  15. lentoviolento
    How does your rme sound with zmf and meze?

First

Back
94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103
105 106 107 108 109 110
Next

Last