1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

RME ADI-2 DAC Thread

First

Back
90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110
Next

Last
  1. Kitechaser
    Figured it out.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. Kitechaser
    Okay so my ADI-2 DAC keeps losing USB connectivity.
    My computer loses connection to the dac, and sound goes completely off.
    Has anyone been having the same issues?
    It had happened twice, and no matter what I do, I can't get it to recognize it again.
    It came back on by itself the 1st time.
    Thank you for your help.

Add: it was my USB Port, switched to the ones in front of my computer and it works again. Weird.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  3. bflat
    If this was happening when your DAC was not in use, it could be due to your PC going into sleep mode. I have this issue from time to time on my MacBook. Certain USB ports will power off during sleep and not come back after waking. This only happens when I connect my USB to a DAC where it does not use USB bus power and has it's own power supply. I confirmed this is the issue because my fix was to use a USB hub and connect something to the hub that constantly draws USB bus power which in my case is my wireless keyboard dongle. Once I connect my DAC to the same hub, I never have disconnects again.

4. Kitechaser
    So it needs a USB hub?
    Connection went out again, middle of being used. Sounded like clipping, and it disconnected again.

5. bflat
    Ouch, middle of playing is something very different than what I was thinking. I would contact RME support on their forums. This looks more like a hardware problem.

Kitechaser likes this.
  6. Kitechaser
    Okay thanks. Will do that

7. Kitechaser
    So the problem turned out to be compatibility issues with some of the options that my JRiver music player had automatically selected for the ADI-2 Dac.
    JRiver had selected a 4XDSD conversion rate reducing to 2X solved the issue.
    Whew!!!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    bflat likes this.
  8. CaptainFantastic
    Fellow RME ADI-2 DAC owners. what is the right answer to this:

The LCD-MX4 has low impedance at 20 ohms. Using low power mode on the ADI-2, a normal towards loud listening level is achieved at -30 dB. By -20 dB it hurts.

Simple question: is there any reason I would want to go to high power mode with low impedance headphones and go to lower dBs? The manual seems to say that the low power mode is a better mode in general for the device safety, etc.

9. captblaze
    if you let the DAC determine the auto level, as long as you don't increase the db's you wont go into high power... and this way you can get to hi power when switching to power hungry cans without having to make another settings changed

Tsukuyomi likes this.
  10. Tsukuyomi
    I think it auto-jumps to high power mode after -20db no?

i'm getting a pair of LCD-X soon for a birthday gift from myself to myself LOL.
    so i can test that if you'd like, the X are also 20-25ohms i think.

also -30 to -20 is pretty loud imo.
    with my DT1990 Pros (250ohm) i'll get to max 30! and thoes are 250ohm..

11. Allanmarcus
    Do what sounds better. If you can't tell the difference, stay in low power mode.

karmazynowy likes this.
  12. captblaze
    that depends on whether or not you have loudness enabled and are adding or lowering bass and treble gain

13. acguitar84
    Just ordered the ADI-2 Dac. It should be here Friday so I can mess around with it this weekend. Hope it's somewhat easy to figure out. (and of course sounds great, it's going to replace my mimby in my main headphone rig)

bryceu likes this.
  14. CaptainFantastic
    I don't have Loudness enabled. But I am not sure I understand the answers. -19 dB in normal mode is far less loud than when manually turning on Hi-Power in the I/O menu. I mean, going from -20 to -19 dB in low power cannot turn on Hi-Power because when I turn on Hi-Power at -19 dB it gets insanely louder.

15. captblaze
    what I am saying is if you increase the treble gain it will shift the point where hi power kicks in, the same with bass and loudness.

First

Back
90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110
Next

Last