RME 96/8 PAD - whoa....
Jan 14, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #31 of 129
Well, the card can only accept 16 or 32 bit data, so by padding to 32, you trick it into taking 32 bits, but you only give it what the DAC is spec'd for, 24 bits.

Dithering is said only to help 16-bit playback, so it might be pointless for 24-bit, I've never heard a difference whether it is on or off.

Jan 14, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #32 of 129
The driver handles only 16 and 32bit modes. So 24bit is padded with zeros as filler to make it 32bit compatibile. The DAC will just take the first 24bits. You shouldn't really use 32bit as that will cut out data. Weird thing is that when I try 32bit in my system it sort of sounds better. But my setup is weird so that last statement may not apply to ya'll.

Truncation maybe inaudible at 24bit so there maybe no use for dither. I'm going to try it now.

foobar jumps from 6-8% CPU usage using upsampling to 96khz slow + convolver for me on my P4 3.41ghz. I'm using the SSE2 and ICL compiles for my ASIO and basic plugins though.

The system shouldn't really stutter MoLtoSoLo. I've never had probs when I tried 32bit output.

Jan 14, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #33 of 129
I love how we keep posing duplicate replys, lan!
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #34 of 129
dejavu! haha.

Well you keep beating me also. I'm typing really slowly. The noise of the keyboard needs to be minimized
tongue.gif

I'm running through permutations of my power section, am trying upsampling to 96khz, and trying some different convolver impulses. Some serious listening going on here.
biggrin.gif

Listening to 32bit output, there is indeed a loss of detail. Also dithering plus noise shaping by definition adds a bit of noise in the upper frequencies. It kind of made things a bit harsh in the top end for me. The SSSSes got a bit too sizzly and unacceptable on my K1000s.

Jan 14, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #36 of 129
Jan 14, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #39 of 129
After using the console nearly full-time, I have discovered that some of my files clip repeatedly. It seems I must engage some sort of limiter, but I am confused by the different ones included with foobar. What is the difference between the soft clipping limiter and the advanced limiter? Are there other, better limiters available? Can someone elaborate and suggest a limiter that only engages when necessary? Any suggestions and flames are welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #40 of 129
Use advanced limiter. I think it looks ahead and determines if it needs to work or not.

Jan 14, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #42 of 129
NetRunner,
I don't have replay gain because I heard it degrades quality (isn't it just a normalizer?) and/or hogs CPU. On a somewhat-related note: what is the best ASIO plugin for Winamp 2 and where can I find it? Thanks again for the help, guys.

Jan 14, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #43 of 129
It's just a mp3 (or some other) tag, and yes it probably results in the player scaling the audio when decoding.. (It can't only vary the base volume?) Though, the obvious benefit would be less (or none?) clipping.

Try it. You can always simply remove the ReplayGain tags!

Jan 14, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #45 of 129
The ASIO plugin for winamp is made by the same guy who made the foobar one.

http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/

Replaygain pushes the digital levels down doesn't it? Which effectively reduces resolution for 16bit but if you are using 24bit output it would just shift things down. Whether you hear this or not is debatable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back