RKV with HD600's?
Nov 17, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 17
Based on my impressions from this weekend's meet: Suh-weeet!

These Senns are made for tubin'. If you like the MG Head, the RKV is the next level (or two), just as kelly wrote. No need to tube roll either. Stock is juuust fine, thank you.

Nov 17, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 17
I know I saw an RKV at the WOH Boston stop, at least I think I did. What size is this thing? What about reliability?

Nov 17, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 17
from another post at head-fi i remember someone praising RKV for its lows, Zotl for its highs. can any of you tube gurus elaborate on more in depth and subtle sonical differences between the two tube masterpieces? and btw, RKV if memory serves me right, RKV is supposed to match well with high impedance can, unlikely to go well with cd3ks to my understanding.. correct?

Nov 17, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

RKV is supposed to match well with high impedance can, unlikely to go well with cd3ks to my understanding.. correct?

You are probably right. grinch mentioned that when he uses his Grado SR-325's with the RKV he hears a slight hiss, although I believe he said that he did not hear it with the RS-1's
confused.gif

The RKV has power to spare. It has two headphone jacks. Using the Senn's, it reached my ears' max sound level tolerance at only the 9 o'clock position (starting at 6). It is not very big, it is more boxy shaped, and it is fairly tall (~8.5"?) with alot of clearance between the components and the plexiglass top cover. It is built very solid, and its weight belies its size. Word is (again from grinch) is that it comes extremely well-packaged from Meier audio. It sounded great with only a few minutes warm up, and ran pretty hot the rest of the day. I don't think I'd leave it on perpetually.

Nov 18, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 17
Nov 18, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 17
lextex
My review of the RKV was mostly from experience with the HD600 if that means much to you. Nick seems fairly pleased with the RKV/HD600 combo as well.

I like it even better with a Cardas cable.

Nov 18, 2002 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 17
after owning the rkv for a few months, i cringe upon listening to the mg head.

i find the hd600/cardas and rkv is a very very musical setup. i think my source reflects a lot of this (planet 2000), but the overall sound is warm but not overly. i have found a few recordings that sound overly soft, but the rkv is not a "tubey" amp as it appears to be.

Nov 18, 2002 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 17
Let me think about which amps I like better with the HD-600 than the RKV:

That's about it.

Nov 18, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 17
I've been using a new production RKV with cardas cabled HD600s for the last three or four months (Ah! Super Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with upsampler as source). This is with the original tubes in the RKV as supplied by AudioValve. No impedeancer has been used (or appeared necessary). After burn-in, the system has been employed most evenings for three to four hours. Program materials have included instrumental classical, jazz, rock, and trance. Probably somewhere between 350 and 400 hours at present.

This has been a wonderful combination affording effortless listening pleasure. While the bass slam in slightly less than my MOH(R), the sweet smoothness with entirely sufficient bass has been most seductive. Very good detail in the small and subtle sounds.

One question: Does anyone have any experience with other tubes in the RKV? If so, could you please list the basis of your conclusions as well as the conclusions? Thanks.

Nov 24, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 17
I am using my AKG K-1000s and RKV with NOS Telefunken PCL805 tubes. The Telefunkens really make the RKV sing, esp in the high frequencies. The RKV with Polamp tubes rolls off the high frequencies a little bit. That has been repeatedly mentioned elsewhere. However, with the Telefunken you get everything right. The sound is perfect from top to bottom!There is also plenty of bass for the bass shy K1000s. Conclusions? The RKV sounds fantastic with 4 Telefunken NOS tubes!

RKV and HD600 Headphones with Equinox...
This is a very good combination, and I do like it very, very much. However, I do like the RKV and the AKG K1000 combination better.

Beware of the heat...
With the inefficient AKG K-1000 headphones you are pushing the RKV quite bit. So the amp heats up! Too much heat can damage the RKV's passive components, esp the resistors. If your RKV heats up too much, put a fan next to it to cool it.

Busted 4.7 Ohm resistor-fuse...
Due to high heat and high current, I busted a 4.7 Ohm resistor fuse in my RKV. This resistor fuse is in a 350 volt section of the RKV. Mr Becker helped me repair the amp via emails with photos. Nice!

Since then, I bought a 4.7 Ohm 12 watt Mills Wirewound Resistor that can handle up to 400 volts. I now have to ask Mr Becker about using the Mills. I imagine it will be OK in there.

Nov 24, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 17
Gariver
Thanks for posting your impressions of the Telefunkens.

Have you ever had opportunity to hear the Cardas cable with the HD600 and RKV?

Nov 24, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 17
Hi Kelly:

No, I have not heard the HD600 with the Cardas. I've got the HD600 with the Equinox Cable.

Tweak for HD600s...
I happen to like the AKG K-1000's lack of ear pressure. So I am building a pair of separators for the HD600. These reduce the pressure the HD600 exert on my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back