RJM Audio Sapphire Headphone Amplifier / Preamp Prototype Boards Available
May 14, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #19 of 30
The open loop and closed loop configurations sound slightly different, open loop having more 2nd harmonic and therefore more 'bloom'.

From someone else who has built one (and with whom I am in 100% agreement):

"natural, clean, airy, and revealing recording space like nothing else I've heard."

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...ktop-headphone-amplifier-116.html#post5063467

If it can be described as anything I'd say it sounds "analog". It fills in over the digital "dots" and makes the music sound more natural while still maintaining a very high level of performance in absolute terms. RMAA data below for unloaded, closed loop, 25 dB gain. Distortion does not vary appreciably with load at the measured 0 dB output, so the figures can be taken as largely independent of the headphone connection.

summary.png

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #21 of 30

Attachments

• pcb-sapphire-41t-brd.png
    pcb-sapphire-41t-brd.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pcb-sapphire-41t-sch.png
    pcb-sapphire-41t-sch.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • sapphire-41t.png
    sapphire-41t.png
    194.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1165s.jpg
    DSC_1165s.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 0
  • sapphire-41m-photo-sm.jpg
    sapphire-41m-photo-sm.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 0
Oct 15, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 30
Oct 15, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #27 of 30
Kits and boards are available for $150/$25 US, respectively, including shipping. (link)
Updates, feedback, questions, and discussion at diyaudio (thread)

Current board revision is 4.2b, though the circuit has remained unchanged since the Sapphire 4 was first introduced a few years back. It's not the simplest of projects, but interest in it has remained steady over the years and those who have built it have reported very positively on their experience.

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 30
Kits and boards are available for $150/$25 US, respectively, including shipping. (link)
Updates, feedback, questions, and discussion at diyaudio (thread)

Current board revision is 4.2b, though the circuit has remained unchanged since the Sapphire 4 was first introduced a few years back. It's not the simplest of projects, but interest in it has remained steady over the years and those who have built it have reported very positively on their experience.
Hi I wanted to know if I were to build a balanced version 4 boards would be required right ?
Also whats the power output for an SE hp amp

Jul 29, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #29 of 30
A sapphire 4 (not sure which minor version) was at the Bay Area Audio Enclave hificon meet today in San Jose. I completely concur with the person who wrote “natural, clean, airy, and revealing recording space like nothing else I've heard.”. I used this unit as a reference amp to compare headphones. Great job @rjm003

Jul 30, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #30 of 30
Hey, thanks for the nice feedback. Note that there is/was only one version of the Sapphire 4. There have been a couple of minor changes to the board layout for different size caps and so forth, but the circuit is unchanged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back