Riverside ,Ca. audio attractions?
Apr 28, 2004 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

audiopile

New Head-Fier
I realize this may not be the proper place for this question - if it isn't - I would appreciate it if the moderator would either re-post it to the correct place or notify me via e-mail (stackpol@execpc.com) as to where I should post it.
A good freind of mine is moving to the Riverside ,Ca. region to follow his job. He is a dedicated audiophile ( even listens to vinyl!) who has designed and built his own amps and pre-amps - owns a set of the big ProAc's.
Can anybody recomend in this general area: live music venues ( especially un-amplified) , good high end audio stores , record/CD shops ,audio clubs ,etc.
Appreciate your help - insight.

Apr 30, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 3
audiopile,

Your friend is going to find a few small clubs in the Inland Empire (what the Riverside-San Bernardino area is called), but will probably need to go into the greater LA area to find the good stuff.

On the large side you'll find, "Hyundai Pavilion at Glen Helen is the nation’s largest amphitheater, with the capacity to accommodate over 65,000 people. Located where the 15 and 215 freeways meet in Devore, the Pavilion hosts some of Southern California’s biggest concert events."

There are a few independent record stores left in the area. The one I remember is Rhino Records in Claremont. Again, the good ones are in LA. Check out this site,

http://www.scaruffi.com/music/lastore.html

In Riverside itself you'll mostly find high end auto audio. The Audio Shoppe is the one I've used. In the general area you'll find Upscale Audio in Upland. There is another called Katli Audio in Chino Hills. You can look them up on the web, as they each have a web site.

There is a formal audio club in the area. They advertise in Stereophile on occasion. However I'm not a member and couldn't vouch for them.

We also have a couple of manufacturers near Riverside. Manley and VTL are pretty close.

Riverside itself is a very nice little city (about 250,000 people). Most of the rest of the area (2,000,000 to 3,000,000) is trash, including my town. On the plus side the major area airport, Ontario International was remodeled a couple of years ago, and is very easy to use. Its still running around half capacity IIRC, so is much nicer than most of the overcrowded airports that I've used. On the down side traffic is terrible. My advice would be to buy or rent as close as possible to where your friend is going to work. Stay off of the freeways as much as possible.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back