Ritchie Blackmore Rainbow.
Oct 5, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #16 of 33
Glad you liked it Kelly! I'd also like to recommend another cd:

Black Night: Deep Purple Tribute According To New York.

It includes: Joe Lynn Turner, Al Pitrelli, Vinnie Moore, T.M. Stevens, Will Calhoun, Cory Glover, Ritchie Kotzen, Stevie Salas, Bernie Worrell, Cindy Blackman, and Lars Y. Loudamp (aka Yngwie Malmsteen). To say that this cd rocks would be a huge understatement! Unfortunately this cd is not easy, if not impossible, to find, but if anyone is interested you can PM me and I could probably point you in the right direction.
wink.gif
wink.gif

I also found out today that in 1973 Thin Lizzy made the first Deep Purple tribute album called "Funky Junction Plays A Tribute To Deep Purple". For more info go to thehighwaystar.com and look in the discography section under tributes. Boy would I love to find that album!

regards

Oct 6, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #19 of 33
I love the solos in every song on that album and especially on "Tarot Woman". Ritchie is just as fast and clean live as he is on album. One of the best and loudest ever! Even Steve Morse, the lastest Deep Purple guitarist who is great as well, said that the solo in "Highway Star" was a bitch to learn.

Jimmy Page, on the other hand, is(?)/was an amazing studio guitarist, but is usually sloppy as hell live. In the early days of ZEP, he was a monster live, but he has gotten progressively worse with time. I find it actually quite painful to hear any recent live stuff from him and I grew up idolizing the man. It didn't help that he would do 1001 takes and overdubs per song in the studio which guaranteed poor replication on the stage.

regards

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by scottpaul_iu
Other great Rainbow/Blackmore solos:

From Rainbow Onstage - Still I'm Sad, Catch the Rainbow
Purple In Rock - Child In Time

Hell yeah. Child In Time rules. 3 minute guitar solo played at a thousand miles per hour.

Oct 8, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #22 of 33
I've only got Rising (which I picked up while in Korea). Not very familiar with the whole Rainbow Discography, so somebody help me out--what albums came before or after Rising (if any)? I really dig Rising, so I'm fairly certain that the albums of the same period would work for me as well.

Oct 8, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by DeeJayBump
I've only got Rising (which I picked up while in Korea). Not very familiar with the whole Rainbow Discography, so somebody help me out--what albums came before or after Rising (if any)? I really dig Rising, so I'm fairly certain that the albums of the same period would work for me as well.

Here is a fairly comprehensive listing broken out by all four of Rainbow's singers.

Dio Era:

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Rising
On Stage
Long Live Rock 'N' Roll
Live In Germany (Rising Era Live Album, great stuff) or
Live In Europe only difference in the two is the record label

Graham Bonnett Era:

Down To Earth

Joe Lynn Turner:

Difficult to Cure
Straight Between the Eyes
Bent Out of Shape
Slaves and Masters - A Deep Purple album with Turner on vocals

Doogie White Era:

Stranger In Us All

Other stuff:

Finyl Vinyl - captures Dio, Bonnett, and Turner
Millenium Collection (stoopid record company release)
Very Best Of
There are a few other best of releases

Hope that helps.

Scott

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #25 of 33
I haven't bought a Deep Purple album in many years, until this thread was started. It reminded me of how much I used to like them. I found that I still do (along with Rainbow, and the other things Ritchie's been up to). Today the mailman brought the remastered Made In Japan CDs. I have a feeling that they're not going to be the only ones for long.

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
I haven't bought a Deep Purple album in many years, until this thread was started. It reminded me of how much I used to like them. I found that I still do (along with Rainbow, and the other things Ritchie's been up to). Today the mailman brought the remastered Made In Japan CDs. I have a feeling that they're not going to be the only ones for long.

Looks like I spured your interest in Purple back up. You can thank me if you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #27 of 33
Matthew, I will thank you every time those CDs slip into the player. Now it remains to be seen whether or not my wife thanks you too.

But isn't that one of the reasons we enjoy headphones? Don't like my music? No problem. I'll just take it right inside my head...
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #28 of 33
I'll thank you too Matt. And my wallet thanks you
biggrin.gif
I just spent a pretty penny on fleshing out my collection (remasters and tributes...) But hey, I won't be thinking about that when the cans go on...

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #29 of 33
I've got Rainbow Live double set on lp....I'll send it to someone who can burn it to cd for me...
md

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
I've got Rainbow Live double set on lp....I'll send it to someone who can burn it to cd for me...
md

If you mean Rainbow-"On Stage" from 1977; you can get the re-mastered CD which is readily available just about anywhere.

I used to have the double-LP as well, way back when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back