Ritchie Blackmore Rainbow.
Sep 29, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 33
I got 1st two Cds (the best period) with Ronny Dio, all you need to do is listen to "man on the silver mountain" to know why this is great stuff.

Later albums don't do much for me.

Sep 29, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 33
I've always liked Ritchie Blackmore, before, during, and after Rainbow. I was recently amazed to hear what he's up to now: Blackmore's Night. Quite a change, but the old Ritchie is still lurking there behind the scenes, especially on the most recent album.

Sep 30, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 33
I'm a huge fan of Blackmore and of Deep Purple in general , Rainbow, Whitesnake, Jon Lord, Gillan and all the projects on the side, I have most of their CDs, BTW What about Richie last project with Candice, like it or not, and another BTW the recording and mastering is excellent, superb!!! like Gillan would say....

Sep 30, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 33
I was always a Rainbow fan. The albums with Ronnie James Dio are my favorites. But, I still followed them even after Dio left the band. I really like the "Down To Earth" album with Graham Bonnet on vocals, which is very underated.

Sep 30, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 33
With my handle, what do you think ?
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 33
Man I love Ritchie Blackmore. He is the reason I play guitar. Rainbow was my favorite band in middle school and high school. I liked all incarnations, but liked the Rising period best. Tarot Woman, Stargazer and A Light in the Black are definitely some great moments in guitar.

Looks like Ritchie might be reforming Rainbow while his wife is touring for her own solo record. I am hoping that Ritchie does this as his last Rainbow album was really good.

Oct 1, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 33
I'm a fan of almost everyone who has ever been in Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, et al. It's like one big incestuous pool of rock... or something.

I'll check out Blackmore's Night -- hadn't heard about that one yet.

Oct 1, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 33
Kelly keep in mind that is not the same kind of music as Rainbow or Black Sabbath, is a Medieval music project, played with instruments typical of the medieval era, even he has a webpage:

http://www.blackmoresnight.com/

I had the chance to attend at a concert in NYC in november of 2000 in a cathetral and he explained in details the instruments and the origin and all this stuff, by the way Candice is charming and beautifull, and sing like an angel, they are making now the fourth album the other three are wonderfull, but is not like Rainbow or Deep Purple, is completelly different, and I'm a huge fan of all what has his name on it, he is one of the few guys that you can truth blindly, he is always honest with his fans and always work hard for them, I don't remeber a single song in which Ritchie had played that has not a serious guitar work included...use kazaa to get a few tracks and let me know if you like them or not, or PM me and i will send you copy of them burned, another thing the recording was extremelly well done, like a few I ever heard, if I remember correctly....give it a try with a nice pair of HD600 and you will see...
by the way is that your real birthday July 26....this is the same day Mick Jagger was born. So this is a good star!!!!!

Oct 3, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 33
What a coincidence! I just made a compilation of Rainbow's 1st three albums for one of my friends about a week ago. "Rising" is one of my all time favorite cds. I've seen Rainbow in all of their lineups a total of 7 times. They are still, by far, the loudest concert I've ever been to.
I just recently got the remastered version of "Who Do We Think We Are" and "In Rock". Not really too familiar with Rod Evans era or Steve Morse era Deep Purple though. Blackmore's Night does sound interesting...
Has anyone heard of Stuart Smith? He is good friends with Ritchie and considers him his mentor. His music sounds very much like Rainbow. He even does a great cover of "When A Blind Man Cries" on one of his cds. You can check out his music at his website www.stuartsmith.com. Go to the swag shop and click on one of the album covers to access the mp3's.

regards

Oct 3, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 33
Egads, Richie Sambora singing Ian Gillan. I'll try not to judge before listening tomorrow but *shiver*.

Oct 3, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 33
Granted, he is NO Ian Gillan, but who is? That being said, I've heard MANY vocalists worse than Richie Sambora that have, for reasons that escape me, become millionaires... Besides, the guitar more than makes up for any vocal deficiencies.

regards

Oct 5, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 33
Checked out both of these tonight. Ok, I admit it, Sambora didn't do that bad of a job--it's just... association. One time when I was a kid, I threw up after eating Chef Boy Ar Dee. I couldn't eat that again for the next 15 years and even today I'm reminded. That kind of thing.

Blackmore's Night is definitely up my alley too and I really dig the vocalist. She reminds me a little of the singer of The Gathering.

I'm not sure how soon I'll get to picking these up since my list is pretty long already but they're definitely on there now. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back