Ripping SACD audio
Dec 7, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
yes I'm working on something similar, but only stereo and carefully tuned filters audiophile friendly.. also hopefully ultra low output jitter regardless of the player's own jitter..

Will this interface be compatible with SPDIF, or do I need a special interface? Also, if it is SPDIF how are you going to handle 24/192 DVD-A?

Dec 7, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #32 of 36
of course it will be S/PDIF.. there will be a 'compatibility' switch for DACs that can't accept higher samplerates, so the switch will basicaly have three positions depending on the maximum supported input samplerate of your DAC - 48/96/192kHz (44.1/88.2/176.4 respectively).. if the setting is 192 then DVD-A data are transfered losslessly, bit perfectly.. in case of SACD, 1bit/2.8MHz, the ultra high frequency delta-sigma modulator noise is filtered out using specific filter, which is tuned with psychoacoustics in mind in order to preserve the best impulse response without audible pre-ringing, samplerate is then lowered, as the signal no longer contains noise >90kHz.. output is of course 24bit all the time..

Dec 7, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
Hey Glassman, What the hell is this thing they're selling here? I saw this website the other day. Looks like something that would be illegal here in the States. The discriptions are a bit "Greek" to me, so what the hell do I know. Thought it was interesting all the same.

http://www.dvdupgrades.info/digital_audio.html

I was looking for such functionality but on a computer. In either case, instead of using a receiver, I can use long runs of digital cables and a DAC and monoblocks at the speaker location. It is intruiging....

Quote:

yes I'm working on something similar, but only stereo and carefully tuned filters audiophile friendly.. also hopefully ultra low output jitter regardless of the player's own jitter..

Nice. I'll be looking forward to it eventhough I don't have any high res stuff.
tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

of course it will be S/PDIF.. there will be a 'compatibility' switch for DACs that can't accept higher samplerates, so the switch will basicaly have three positions depending on the maximum supported input samplerate of your DAC - 48/96/192kHz (44.1/88.2/176.4 respectively).. if the setting is 192 then DVD-A data are transfered losslessly, bit perfectly.. in case of SACD, 1bit/2.8MHz, the ultra high frequency delta-sigma modulator noise is filtered out using specific filter, which is tuned with psychoacoustics in mind in order to preserve the best impulse response without audible pre-ringing, samplerate is then lowered, as the signal no longer contains noise >90kHz.. output is of course 24bit all the time..

Doesn't SPDIF max out at 24/96? And are you saying that you convert DSD to PCM, or is it kept as DSD (at a lower bitrate)? Sorry for my confusion.

Dec 8, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #36 of 36
S/PDIF is a protocol, the way data is encoded.. it doesn't tell anything about maximum bandwidth.. there are many 192kHz capable S/PDIF receivers as well as transmitters, you just need both ends to support that frequency..
DSD, which is fundamentaly PCM with small bit depth and high samplerate with applied noise shaping, is being converted to PCM with large bit depth and lower samplerate.. if you look at actual bitrate, the original DSD stream is of lower bitrate than the resulting PCM stream.. I will also include special mode, where DSD data will be encoded into S/PDIF without any processing, however this will have to be supported by the receiving side, ie. DAC..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back