Ripping from CD to FLAC and ID3 tags
Jun 26, 2005 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

Recently I've been ripping all my CDs to Apple Lossless, and now since I'm thinking of getting an iAudio X5 I will need to rerip all the CDs to FLAC. What is a good ripper to use? Also, is there a ripper out there which automatically searches the net for a correct ID3 tag for the FLAC file, like Apple does when I rip through iTunes?

Thanks

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 10
EAC will search CDDB (Alt-G) and tag your CDs for you, and is commonly regarded to be the best program out there for ripping music. It's a bit on the hardcore side, there are a ton of options, but you can get it ripping flac pretty easily
smily_headphones1.gif

www.exactaudiocopy.de

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm not sure how many CD's you've already done, but there's no reason to re-rip your whole collection. You can go ALAC>WAV/AIFF>FLAC. Trick is to do with without losing the tags.

As for future FLAC rip/encodes, yeah the EAC/FLAC route is likely best on Windows.

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I'm not sure how many CD's you've already done, but there's no reason to re-rip your whole collection. You can go ALAC>WAV/AIFF>FLAC. Trick is to do with without losing the tags.

As for future FLAC rip/encodes, yeah the EAC/FLAC route is likely best on Windows.

I did something similar, but in the other direction. I just ended up searching for all of my FLAC files and converted them all to ALAC instead of doing it song by song or album by album. It did take, however, several hours to complete due to the size of my music collection on my computer.

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 10
In fact the ALAC to FLAC conversion is a bit easier than FLAC to ALAC as DBPowerAmp can be used (ALAC decoder [but no encoder] and FLAC encoder is available from its Codec Center).

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 10
So what program do I use to convert Apple Lossless to FLAC while perserving the ID3 tags?

Thanks for the responses guys!

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
Try iAudio's Jetaudio player, it came with my MP3 player and its been my choice of music encoder. When it rips the cd, it automatically checks FreeDB and it automatically converts it to many formats including flac its very easy to use. Here is the link to it.

http://www.cowonamerica.com/download/

Thanks a lot ATOL! I will be getting my X5 in about two weeks.. hopefully there will be a substantial difference in SQ upgrading from an iPod 40g 3rd Gen (I don't want to lug a PAV2 around)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back