Ripping CD's
Nov 10, 2008 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

boomy3555

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey There,

this is probably the umteenth time a newbee has asked this question but here goes

What format do I rip my cd's in if I want to play them in BOTH Itunes and Windows Media Player.

No MP3 files

Hard drive is BIG
I tried .wav but the file info didn't rip so I was left with a big bunch of files with only track#s and Song names. and there was no way I was going to file all of them manualy
Sound Quality is important

If I rip FLAC will it play on Both Players
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 21
iTunes doesn't play FLACs natively. I think there might be a plugin that allows it, but I'm not sure. Some cursory googling should give you your answer there.

If you want to play lossless natively in iTunes, you need to rip to ALAC, but WMP doesn't play those as far as I know. That said, you shouldn't be using WMP anyway. Winamp or foobar are superior Windows players.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 21
For both iTunes and Windows Media Player I am quite sure WAV is the only common audio format without quality loss.
There are iTunes components allowing it to play FLAC files, but its not perfect. Unsure about FLAC support in Windows Media Player, and likewise for Apple Lossless.

Why not stick with iTunes only, and Apple Lossless?

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a way to rip .WAV and still rip the file info as well. I just don't want to have to manually sort and file all of the songs once they're ripped

I'm curious why you require the use of WMP. There's really no reason I can think to every use that program. There are much better audio and video players for Windows, the former of which will also support ALAC files.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 21
So, If I get Winamp I should be able to rip all me CD's to ALAC and then I can play them in Itunes as well?. It's important to keep Itunes in the picture as all of my portable players are Ipods of some kimd ( 2 ,5th gen video 60/80gb and three shuffles)
When I'm at home I listen to them almost exclusively on the WMP ( Better sound to me)

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Is there a way to rip .WAV and still rip the file info as well. I just don't want to have to manually sort and file all of the songs once they're ripped

.WAV does not support embedded file info at all. You will have to enter everything manually for each individual file after you're done ripping.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 21
Yes, iTunes support Apple Lossless.
I am quite sure there are add-ons for WinAmp allowing it to play Apple Lossless as well.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

So, If I get Winamp I should be able to rip all me CD's to ALAC and then I can play them in Itunes as well?. It's important to keep Itunes in the picture as all of my portable players are Ipods of some kimd ( 2 ,5th gen video 60/80gb and three shuffles)
When I'm at home I listen to them almost exclusively on the WMP ( Better sound to me)

Seriously, you should use foobar2000, it's usually considered the best Windows player by most people here (including myself).
It's very simple, light (2,7MB installer) and can play ALAC just by installing a small component in it's "components" directory.

Winamp and WMP are very bloated software...

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 21
^ x2 on fooobar2000 on MS Windows.
A great light-weight audio player.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 21
x3 <3 Foobar2000

Although, when I get ready to go on a trip is gets annoying to make sure all the music I want to travel with is ripped to Apple Lossless also. Sometimes I rip it twice in the first sitting while other times I don't.

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 21
x4 on foobar2000 on windows. It basically has everything including flac/MA/ALAC/WAV support with UI customizations and tons of plugins. Ditch WMP not worth it!

happy listening
k701smile.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 21
Not to jack the thread... but does fubar2000 have iTouch support?

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to jack the thread... but does fubar2000 have iTouch support?

I don't believe so. This is the only ipod plugin for Foobar that I know of and it specifically says that it does not support the iPod Touch and iPhone.

You can check it out anyway though, iPod manager (foo_dop)

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #15 of 21
I downloaded Foobar and I cannot get it to rip my CD's. WMP is very easy to rip but for some reason I cannot figure out Foobar.

*I uninstalled Foobar and reinstalled it and now it seems to work. At least to rip in WAV. I am ripping a CD right now. I guess I'll see how it works.

**Ok, I guess I am just dumb because I cannot figure out how to rename the artist of the tracks I just ripped and I cannot seem to figure out how to get the tracks in to the library. I guess I'll stick with WMP or iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back