Ripping CDs to Comp. - Is this "right"?
Jul 15, 2005 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
It seems like with ripping CDs there are many ways to skin the cat, some more appropriate than others, depending on final objective.

This is what I've started doing. Please let me know if this makes sense before I rip a few hundred CDs:

1) In EAC create a cue sheet using "multiple files with gaps (non-compliant)"
2) In EAC choose test and copy selected tracks, compressed, using .flac
3) Edit cue sheet to refer to .flac files instead of .wav files
4) use dbpowerAMP to convert .flac files to .ogg files for use with my flash player

I'm not quite sure about the cue sheet business. I could just use copy image and create cue sheet but then I'm left with one track. I think that would be harder to convert to individual .ogg files. I'm creating cue sheets so it will be easier to convert back to CDs if I ever want/need to, but honestly, I haven't tried going back to uncompressed yet so I'm not even sure if this is going to help me.

Any advice or tweaks are appreciated.

Jul 16, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 12
I just do step 2, seems to work fine
blink.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 12
i do the following...........

A. have EAC setup using hydrogenaudio's guide
B. download FLAC

1. rip using EAC to .wav (all files go to "my music")
2. use "FLAC frontend" to change .wav files to FLAC. compression level 6 (standard/personal prefference). select option "delete input files"

that's it. pretty simple. you can also use accuraterip with EAC to make things easier for you.

when eac is done ripping a cd, i start flac frontend on that cd. then i put in a new cd while flac is encoding the old one

i use kernal streaming and "24point fixed padded to 32point" in foobar, and columns UI

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 12
In my very humble opinion, cue sheets are not worth the hassle.

Now people will jump up to say that they are fundamental for CD burning. To this I repeat: it's not worth it. You don't lose anything with single files. Meaning you don't lose anything that matters. And you gain a lot in Ease of use and handling.

Again, IMHO. After lots of research on the subject, but IMHO nonetheless.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
In my very humble opinion, cue sheets are not worth the hassle.

Add to this that if you want to edit the files -- remove silence, fade in/out, correct sonic balance, etc. --, the cue-sheet option is highly unpractical. Also for creating MP3 and OGG Vorbis files.

peacesign.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 12
yea not a fan of cuesheets either. personally i only use EAC to rip the wav files off of the CD. I have separate programs to encode into FLAC and mp3, I know i'm dumb and being inefficient but I like it this way. I use the FLAC frontend, with the encoding level set to 8. I make all my mp3's using the alt-preset-standard commandline as this gives great quality for my portables. When listening on my computer I use FLAC always.

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for all the responses. Just so I'm clear, I'm ripping for three main purposes:

1) lossess FLAC files for listening through my computer and probably eventually a Squeezbox 2
2) ogg files my flash player
3) archiving purposes

I'm only creating cue sheets because I may want to go back to the original files from FLAC someday. If it's not necessary, or if I'm not doing it right, then I'll gladly skip it.

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Thanks for all the responses. Just so I'm clear, I'm ripping for three main purposes:

1) lossess FLAC files for listening through my computer and probably eventually a Squeezbox 2
2) ogg files my flash player
3) archiving purposes

I'm only creating cue sheets because I may want to go back to the original files from FLAC someday. If it's not necessary, or if I'm not doing it right, then I'll gladly skip it.

I use Squeezebox1 with FLAC, Rio Karma with Vorbis Q6 transcoded from FLAC. I have never had the need to go back to CD.

Even if I needed to, the FLAC files would be more than enough. I should know as I've ripped more than 600 CDs this way.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back