RIP Westone ES5's, IEM recommendations needed
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bawbaw

New Head-Fier
Hey all!

I really like my ES5's, but I'm tired of getting them repaired. Looking for recommendations under $1000. Neutrality or slightly warm prefered!

Sources: 95/5 Pixel 2 XL/PC through Schitt Jotunheim

Optional bluetooth connectivity would be a bonus!

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Have you ever heard an Andromeda?

In terms of sound quality, I can absolutely second these!
My only con with them is that they just don't fit me all that well (try before you buy) which has lead me to search for a replacement for my andromeda's with the same audio quality but more comfort and I've not been able to find it anywhere...

I'm looking at both IEM & CIEM market and if anyone has a recommendation with equal sound qualities but such comfort that I can wear it for almost an entire working day at the office, I'd be willing to spend up to a max of 2000 euro :-D

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 12
maybe a newer Westone model? I'm not sure there is anything that sound like westone out there...
My um pro 30's are still going strong after a couple of years, didn't even had to change the cable yet.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 12
maybe a newer Westone model? I'm not sure there is anything that sound like westone out there...
My um pro 30's are still going strong after a couple of years, didn't even had to change the cable yet.

Perhaps more a personal request but have you ever tried Westone Custom IEM's?
I was potentially looking at upgrading from Campfire Andromeda's to Westone ES80 thinking sound quality would stay the same but comfort would make a leap.. Just not sure on durability.. How long would I have these for as they do cost a whopping 1700-1800 euro.

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 12
I mean, I guess if it ain't broke... I should probably try and track down a local place that has a range of the universals to try out to see they haven't changed a bunch.

I was potentially looking at upgrading from Campfire Andromeda's to Westone ES80 thinking sound quality would stay the same but comfort would make a leap.. Just not sure on durability.. How long would I have these for as they do cost a whopping 1700-1800 euro.

My ES5's made it 7 years and they were very comfortable, the tips are made of a different material than the rest of the shell - gets flexible when they warm up.

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 12
Well just have to say after listening to some at RMAF 2 really caught my interest the Empire Ears Phantom and the Alclair Electro not sure of the name though. It is hard to decide which I like better though. The Phantom is all that but the Aclair still has me wondering.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 12

No I didn't try them, IIRC you need to buy the westone and then send them to a third party that does the CIEM mod. I'd be carefull buying westones without trying them, the signature is special.I can't comment on the high end as I've never had a chance to try them. What I can say tho is that westones universals are VERY comfortable and not as bulky as the andromeda. The build quality is flawless to me and I've been using mine in a purely nomad fashion.

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 12
No I didn't try them, IIRC you need to buy the westone and then send them to a third party that does the CIEM mod. I'd be carefull buying westones without trying them, the signature is special.I can't comment on the high end as I've never had a chance to try them. What I can say tho is that westones universals are VERY comfortable and not as bulky as the andromeda. The build quality is flawless to me and I've been using mine in a purely nomad fashion.

Westone has multiple lines of full custom, they make them themselves.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 12
Well just have to say after listening to some at RMAF 2 really caught my interest the Empire Ears Phantom and the Alclair Electro not sure of the name though. It is hard to decide which I like better though. The Phantom is all that but the Aclair still has me wondering.

How do these compare to say the Vision Ears VE8 in your opinion (if you have any experience with them).
I'm thinking about buying a VE8 set :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back