Rip rates for smaller players
May 23, 2005 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CybrFrettr

New Head-Fier
I am looking to purchase a small flash player for using at the gym. I am quite interested in the Iriver iFP-895 512Mb player. I have an Iriver H120 and I love it, so I am confident in purchasing another Iriver player.

My concern is the space - 512Mb. I thought about 1Gb but for the $180 that would cost me, I could get the Zen Micro for an extra $20 and get 4 Gb extra. So the 512Mb seems to make sense for $120. I currently rip all my music into MP3's at 192kbps. At this rate I might be able to get 6 or 7 albums (about 70 songs) on the 512Mb player. Is there a better choice for compression (MP3, WAV, OGG) and kbps rates, which would allow me close to the same quality but allowing me to get more music on the player?

I have not tried any different compression types or sizes (other than MP3), so I'm looking for advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

May 23, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 12
Ogg Vorbis is likely to get you smallest size, but if you want to stay with MP3 try LAMES "--alt-preset standard -Y" or "--alt-preset fast standard -Y" or even first "--alt-preset medium" or "--alt-preset fast medium". The latter may give you around 20% savings. All depends on your phones and ears how far you can push it. A lot of people are even happy with LAME ABR 128. Likely -q 5 Ogg (about same savings as -apm) is a good starting point on the Vorbis side. Maybe push it down to -q 4 and see what you think. Not sure what the battery hit will be with Vorbis on your player.

Since these are all VBR schemes, sizes will vary.

May 23, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 12
64kbps WMA. No, don't laugh yet
biggrin.gif
. Compared to MP3 at the same low rate, WMA sounds better. It's just a compression thing. 256mb IFP-790 gets me 110+ songs. More than enough for the gym. Unless you're using high isolating canalphones in a relatively quiet workout area, I doubt you're going to hear flaws in the detail. Try it out with a file on your comp for comparison. And remember, trust your own ears.

May 23, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 12
I used to own a IFP-799, same series.

Ogg sounded good but it ate batteries much faster then MP3. I haven't had extensive experience with WMA but it did sound okay. Never tried 64 Kbs.

Talking about batteries; the thing does not take its power from the USBport while uploading, and that takes a lot of power (I know there are rechargables and AAs are cheap anyway, but still). The smaller the memorysize, the more you'll probably be uploading, I know I would, but of course YMMV.

May 23, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 12
See here for an old test I did (you can use AAC sizes for CBR or ABR of1 any codec). In this example 192 came out close to -aps, so the last stat on each line shows the savings/additions. As gshan said, trust your ears, put if you start with 128 ABR LAME MP3 or -q4 Vorbis (depending on which Vorbois encoder you use) you're likely (again this is only one example) going to get around 1/3 more music. You can also read through this to see a 128 comparison. But again maybe you can push it even further.

May 23, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 12
OGG @ q4 sounds good to me. I have the Samsung YP-MT6Z and to my ears, they sound a bit less detailed as 192 KBPS CBR MP3s, but not a huge difference, imo. I can hear differences between OGG and MP3 with my no-name 2.1 computer speakers, but only then there I can hear a huge difference.

May 24, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 12
Do any portable players support HE-AAC?

May 24, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 12
No major player anyway. There were hopes both AAC VBR and HE-AAC would be introduced with QT and iTunes (and thus the iPod) right after Tiger release. H.264, which was annouced at the same time, uses both I believe. Unfortunately, it hasn't been introduced yet (though VBR can evidently be achieved in QT by outputting movie). See HydrogenAudio for more info.

HE-AAC (especially since MP3Pro never took off) would be great to see. LC-AAC would likely be used by most here though.

May 31, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 12
I finally purchased a flash player - the iRiver iFP-895 512Mb player. I have been using WMA64 for my music on this player. It should get me close to 200 songs at a quality sufficient for walking/jogging outside/ gym use.

I almost ended up with the 256Mb player, as I bought that on Wednesday for $99.99 at Best Buy. I used it once and was content with it until I saw this weekend's ad for Best Buy. They had the 512Mb player on sale for $99.99 (with rebates). Plus I had a 10% off coupon for Memorial Day. In the end I returned the 256Mb player and got the 512Mb player for the same price. A deal!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

May 31, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I have not tried any different compression types or sizes (other than MP3), so I'm looking for advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Just for jogging, try EAC/Lame 3.96.1, mp3 @96kb, high quality. When it comes to save precious space and just hear music kind of on the background. This is the way to go.

Quote:

64kbps WMA. No, don't laugh yet . Compared to MP3 at the same low rate, WMA sounds better. It's just a compression thing. 256mb IFP-790 gets me 110+ songs. More than enough for the gym. Unless you're using high isolating canalphones in a relatively quiet workout area, I doubt you're going to hear flaws in the detail. Try it out with a file on your comp for comparison. And remember, trust your own ears.

I agree with you. I listen to talk shows to MP3s at 64kb mono. Sounds acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back