RIP Carlo Maria Giulini
Jun 16, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shosta
Sad news. This deserves a listening to his Verdi's Requiem.

Which I'd do right now . . . if it weren't already 2:00 a.m.
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pframe
Which I'd do right now . . . if it weren't already 2:00 a.m.
frown.gif

Here it's 8:20 a.m. and I'm at job
confused.gif

Someday we could agree listening something around the world at the same GMT. It could be a 'virtual music meeting'. And then posts our impressions
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Here it's 8:20 a.m. and I'm at job
confused.gif

Someday we could agree listening something around the world at the same GMT. It could be a 'virtual music meeting'. And then posts our impressions
biggrin.gif

Not a bad idea. The hard part would be agreeing on the music . . . and the hour.
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 15
I don't have many recordings by him, but those that I do have are among my favorites, including his Mahler 9th, Brahms 1st and Dvorak 8th. His Bruckner 8th is also an amazing performance, but it's been years since I've heard it.

-jar

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 15
Here's a great photo of the maestro from an album cover of his recording of Beethoven's 6th:

Beethoven_0125_Giulini.JPG

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
I don't have many recordings by him, but those that I do have are among my favorites, including his Mahler 9th and Dvorak 8th. His Bruckner 8th is also an amazing performance, but it's been years since I've heard it.

-jar

Oh, the great Giulini is gone... That makes me sad. Truly, one of my dearest favorites. His Bruckner 8th is a whole branch of the art of music in its own right-- I'm not always sure it is anywhere close to what Bruckner had in mind, but I never doubt its utter mastery and greatness for an instant.

M

Jun 16, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 15
I saw this late last night. It is really sad, but he must have been somewhere in his 90s? I don't have the Verdi Requiem, and what better recording could I get?

RIP.

Jun 16, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Sad news. This deserves a listening to his Verdi's Requiem.

sweet idea, I am doing it right now. Followed by his beatiful Nozze di Figaro to cheer up a bit...
Ciao Carlo Maria, ci mancherai!

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
sweet idea, I am doing it right now. Followed by his beatiful Nozze di Figaro to cheer up a bit...
Ciao Carlo Maria, ci mancherai!

I didn't remember i had that recording!!! It's time to let my ears remember.

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 15
One of my very most often played Brahms Thirds is the Guilini/Philharmonia. His Bruckner recordings from the 80's are very fine too. Was he at all active recently?

Jun 17, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 15
Giulini also has a Mozart Requiem on EMI. I don't think its been out of the catalog since it was released. I find his interpretation both traditional and appealing. Very warm recorded sound.

BW

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
One of my very most often played Brahms Thirds is the Guilini/Philharmonia. His Bruckner recordings from the 80's are very fine too. Was he at all active recently?

It's been a while since he last recorded or gave concerts. I think it was around the mid-nineties that he retired. He would lead student orchestras occasionally in rehearsal after that, but he made no more recordings and no longer appeared in concert. So I never had the joy of hearing him live in concert.
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Here's a great photo of the maestro from an album cover of his recording of Beethoven's 6th:

Beethoven_0125_Giulini.JPG

Wow, this was the first classical LP I ever purchased. Giulini was there at the beginning of my love affair with classical music.

dshea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back