Rio Volt SP90: Line out?
Sep 18, 2002 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
Guys,
Does the sp90 has line out? How about its headphone out quality. Tigerdirect.com has the refurb one for 39.99+shipping.

Purk

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 6
I really doubt a riovolt would have a line-out when so many portables nowadays don't./

Sep 18, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 6
guys,
I suspect that the headphone out quality on this player and the SP250 will be similar. Why a company should bother redesign their curcuit and ...such ? They are in the same chassis, but the sp90 has less of the features. Can anyone tell me if the SP90 and SP250 sounds any different. Thanks.

Purk

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 6
purk -

I had a Rio Volt 90 for about two weeks (bought new from Best Buy). The "line-out" is not a true line out. It is located immediately next to the headphone-out and seems to function virtually identically, being affected by both the volume control and the EQ settings. Seems to be the same circuit.

Sound is merely "OK", from the headphone-out using efficient earbuds, but at 7mW it is pretty weak. I returned it yesterday and went back to my trusty Pana. Although the Volt 250 has a more powerful headphone jack (12mW I think), I do not suspect the line-out is any different, and elected to not try it. Could be wrong though.

I saw Tiger's offer in my email yesterday too, and it looks tempting. For $39 you can't be too dissappointed, if you take it in the context for which this device is really intended. But if you want a good line-out, look elsewhere (perhaps the Sony or Iriver CD-MP3 models).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back