Rio Carbon: a few technical questions
Nov 19, 2008 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fallingwater

100+ Head-Fier
I mistakenly got two Carbons on eBay, thinking they supported Ogg Vorbis. One was to be used normally, and the other as backup if something went wrong with the first one (the auction had a really good price).
Turns out they don't support ogg, but I like the little things so much I might be willing to overlook that.

Problem is, my original intention was to install a 16GB CompactFlash card in the Carbon I'd be using. I have an A-Data "Speedy" CF, leftover from my modified iPod mini (the mod worked, but there was so little feeling with the player that I often used my old brick of a Creative Zen instead). The card has worked in everything I've used it in so far, including my Rio Karma (with an adapter).
But the Carbons don't want to know about it.

I can get the firmware on, and they do start up, but they only format the card to half capacity, they only connect as MTP, and transferring songs via WinMediaPlayer causes them to either lock up during transfer or transfer successfully but then show no content in the music menu.
They also seem to randomly freeze and/or reboot.

I have two questions:

1) is it possible to use a CF card in a Carbon and have it work correctly? If it is, what brand of card should I use? I was under the impression that A-Datas were universally compatible with microdrive stuff, but apparently this isn't the case.

2) is the Carbon locked to a maximum of 7.5/8 gigs? I'm worried that it'd format the card as 8GB even if I used another one, and considering that I'd want to use a 32GB one in it this is important.

Thanks.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) is the Carbon locked to a maximum of 7.5/8 gigs? I'm worried that it'd format the card as 8GB even if I used another one, and considering that I'd want to use a 32GB one in it this is important.

Thanks.

The Carbon is limited to 8 GB. That's all it will ever see.
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 5
No idea. I only know about the one or two threads on the empeg board I linked above.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back