Right Headphones for $200
Mar 7, 2006 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

NeedHeadphones

New Head-Fier
Hi, I really know hardly anything about headphones so I'm hoping you guys can help me. I need the best headphones I can get for $200. I play a lot of games so I want something amazing for gaming.

I also love music. I listen to rock, anything from Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd to Metallica. I want something that I'll be able to rock to and not blow my eardrums out.

Also I want something that is very comfortable. Right now I use some crappy $25 headset for gaming and my head is killing me. I want something that will be very comfortable. Nothing is worse to me then uncomfortable headphones.

I've been looking at those Alienware Ozma 7's, the Audiotechnica ATH-A900, and some Sennheiser stuff but I have no idea of what is right for me.

Please recomend headphones and please tell how good there sound quality is and how comfortable they are. Thanks is advance.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 18
a900, hands down

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 18
What's the DT-770 80ohm run on the street?

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 18
I would suggest the Sennheiser HD 595. It's a great all-rounder, and you can get it for $199.99 from Headroom (have them email you the coupon code by "clicking for details"). I don't think you can get a more hi-fi headphone, that'll still be usable with any source, for $200. It sounds more balanced than the 770.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 18
I own both the A900 and HD595.

For gaming, I think the A900 is better. I don't know if it's a consequence of the closed design, but when I used to game (don't anymore), the ATs were always the weapon of choice.

For rock, I think the HD595 might be slightly better. It depends on how sensitive you are to highs. I'm very sensitive to highs, and I find that the AT's stronger highs are a bit much for rock. I prefer the Senns when listening to rock. The velvety mids are fantastic.

Comfort-wise, I think the A900 is much more comfortable.. until your ears start getting sweaty from the pleather pads. That's their main drawback (that and mohawk hair after wearing them for an extended period). They're almost unwearable during the summer. Because of this, I would say that the Senns, while not as comfortable as the ATs, are better for long sessions.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 18
The Alienwares are just rebadged Ultrasones, go for the Senn 595s hands down they are a steal, they're comfortable, forward sounding which is better for rock not laidback like the 650s although I still prefer the 650s. I've never tried them for gaming though, for dvds I would rather the HD555.

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 18
Well sweating isn't really a big deal. It always stays cold in my room even during the summer since i have an AC right next to me. So the a900 would be more comfortable.

Also for gaming you say the a900 is better so thats 2 pluses for the a900.

But for rock you say the senn 595 is better. I want to know how good both are in sound quality. Like how far do the a900's trail the senns in rock? And how good are the senns for gaming?

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedHeadphones
Like how far do the a900's trail the senns in rock?

The differences we're talking here about are nitpicking more than anything else. Fact is they are both good for rock and great all-arounders. It's just the A900's more pronounced highs are harsher to my ears with screeching guitars and whatnot than the 595.

If your preference leans towards stronger highs and lows for rock, then the AT might be more appropriate for you. TBH, if you only heard the A900 and not the 595, you probably wouldn't even notice this aspect.

Quote:

And how good are the senns for gaming?

It's been awhile, but from what I remember, the Senns were fine for gaming. I was just able to place enemy locations in CS (footsteps) more accurately with the ATs.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 18
Alright thank you so much for all the advice. I'm going from a $30 heaset and no soundcard to the ATH-A900 and a Creative Soundblaster x-fi xtreme music sound card. So I should be in awe the first time I put those headphones on and play battlefield 2 or listen to some music. Again thanks for the advice.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 18
I go back and forth between my A900s and 595s for gaming and music (rock). You cannot go wrong with either IMO.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedHeadphones
Alright thank you so much for all the advice. I'm going from a $30 heaset and no soundcard to the ATH-A900 and a Creative Soundblaster x-fi xtreme music sound card. So I should be in awe the first time I put those headphones on and play battlefield 2 or listen to some music. Again thanks for the advice.

Same upgrade I made 2 months ago, you won't be dissapointed.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #14 of 18
I'd go with the Beyerdynamic DT770-80 if I were you. Best sub $200 headphone IMO, construction / sound / comfort. FANTASTIC for games, great soundstage, very similar sound to a good consumer boxed 5.1 setup.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 18
Ok one more thing. I know the A900's don't need an amp but does it matter if you have one? Is a senn 595 with an amp way better then a A900 without an amp? Or is the A900 still better without one? If I do need an amp could you suggest a cheap but good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back