Right Headphones for $200
Mar 8, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedHeadphones
I know the A900's don't need an amp but does it matter if you have one?

No, the A900 doesn't change much with an amp. It's very easy to drive.

Quote:

Is a senn 595 with an amp way better then a A900 without an amp? Or is the A900 still better without one?

No, the same differences that I described previously still apply. The thing is that the Senns sound their best when amplified, whereas the ATs sound the way they sound regardless of amplification. Is an amplified 595 better than an ampless A900? I personally don't think so, they're just different as previously noted.

If you do get the 595, I would recommend an amp eventually when it is affordable for you. They'll be okay without one, but they do improve when amped. I don't think an amp for the A900 is worthwhile unless we're talking about the really expensive ones, which I've no experience with.

Quote:

If I do need an amp could you suggest a cheap but good one.

What do you mean by "cheap?" When I first started here, I thought a $50 amp was cheap. Now I'm about to drop $300 on one.
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedHeadphones
Alright thank you so much for all the advice. I'm going from a $30 heaset and no soundcard to the ATH-A900 and a Creative Soundblaster x-fi xtreme music sound card. So I should be in awe the first time I put those headphones on and play battlefield 2 or listen to some music. Again thanks for the advice.

Oh, you will. I did the same (except I paid more than $30 for my Sony MDR-V200s, and I upgraded to ATH-AD500s instead of the A900). BF2 is superb with the X-Fi. You'll get better frame rates for sure, and the music won't crackle or distort while the level is loading.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back