Right channel of Focal Elegia's has static
Nov 21, 2020 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jarpipz

New Head-Fier
I have this bizarre problem, and after a lot of trial and error I’m not sure how to fix it.

Basically on only the right side of my Focal Elegias, at high frequencies, the sound distorts the higher you crank the volume. This only happens on my Windows 10 computer, and not on my iPhone or laptop.

I have tried everything! It is not the Amp and DACs (Monolith Liquid Spark Amp + EarMen Donald DAC) fault because any other headphone or speaker I plug in doesn’t have this problem. Also it is not my headphone cables fault, I have 3 different cables for the Elegia and all of them have the same exact problem on only the right side. And I know the actual headphones themselves are not broken because on my iPhone and laptop this is not a problem in the slightest.

What I initially thought would fix this is buying a new RCA cable to connect the Amp and DAC together. My RCA cable I was using is from an old VCR player so naturally I thought it must of have gone faulty after all these years. So because of this I went out of my way to purchase a "Audiophile grade" RCA cable, (and yes I know it is all snake oil but I wanted to be certain it would be good quality) and after that it STILL didn't solve the issue.

Has this BS ever happened to anyone else and would anyone have a way to fix this?

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 16
If you have ruled out everything except the Windows 10 computer then you already know the answer.

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 16
Are you using the same dac/amp on the laptop when you say it's not doing it there? You didn't specify if you were or it was the 3.5mm out on that laptop
I am using a Audioquest Dragonfly Red. Now that you mention that though I will hook up the Liquid Spark and Donald DAC to my laptop and see if the problem is there

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 16
Yup so the same problem happens with the Elegias when I hook the same Amp DAC combo to my laptop whether it is charging in or not.

Does this mean either my amp or dac doesn't mesh well or work with the Elegias for what ever reason? As I said, any other speaker or headphone doesn't have this problem at all.

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 16
I'll start by saying that I realize you say the amp/dac works with everything else but perhaps your Elegia is specifically more sensitive to noise than your other headphones.

You can bypass the DAC with a 3.5mm->RCA adapter. 3.5mm from line out of computer to input on back of the liquid spark. Narrow down the DAC (with the Elegia specifically)

Definitely an issue with your pairing but I'd swap each piece one at a time until I found the issue (amp/dac/usb cable/1/8" adapter/everything). Otherwise just listen with the Dragonfly Red if you don't want to go to that trouble.

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 16
New discovery: On my IEMs and speakers I was testing really intently to see if the problem happened, and it did, it was less noticeable than the focal Elegias but it was still there the higher I cranked the volume, I guess I just never noticed it before. So at this point it is most likely the amp.

Also a big thing I forgot to mention is I always have to click the gain button on when I have my speakers plugged in because it produces the same distortion noise even when no audio is playing.

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 16
Would it be worth getting a new power brick for the Liquid Spark amp? Just a guess
No idea but you can contact Monoprice about the issue, I hear they are pretty responsive but I haven't personally dealt with them.
edit: I think you should verify it's not the DAC first though, like I mentioned earlier

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Unfortunately I do not have an RCA to 3.5mm jack on hand, is there another way to just test the amp without having one of those chords?
Sure, but the other ways involve soldering and cutting up cables...so basically, no. (since you don't have another DAC with rca outs)
They are pretty cheap if you want to give that a try first, but these cables are useful for pairing devices like phones that still have 3.5mm jacks, i use it often: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...ords=3.5mm+rca+splitter&qid=1605996777&sr=8-6

edit: well if you have any equipment with an audio line with rca out you could

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 16
Sure, but the other ways involve soldering and cutting up cables...so basically, no. (since you don't have another DAC with rca outs)
They are pretty cheap if you want to give that a try first, but these cables are useful for pairing devices like phones that still have 3.5mm jacks, i use it often: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...ords=3.5mm+rca+splitter&qid=1605996777&sr=8-6

edit: well if you have any equipment with an audio line with rca out you could
Very surprised I found one but after doing some digging in my cable drawer I found a RCA to 3.5mm jack.

With only the amp plugged in, what I suspected was true, the amp is the source of the issue.

I submitted a help ticket to Monoprice and they have yet to get back to me, but I'm hoping this is a faulty model so I could get a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back