Right Angle Mini to Mini Cable - Where To Find?
Jun 21, 2002 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 14
LOL, you should talk to Ricky...

That cable is actually pretty good and I hated parting with it when I sold my TAH.

Is it worth $20 sonically? Probably not but considering the other options for mini-minis it's reasonable.

I believe that Bolder can make what you want but if you don't like $20 you sure as hell aren't going to like thier options.

About the only way you're going to get out of this cheaply is to make your own.

Jun 22, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 14
Realistically, who else in the audio world needs a 1/8 right angle mini to mini?
I got the one from Headroom.
There are actually threads on this subject. If you like, Markertek sells the 90 degree plug, you just gotta solder the wire on your own.
md

Jun 22, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 14
I ordered one of those and I am not happy with it. I planned to use it in my airbag with JMT Penguin and Pana 570. But, I'm getting static or loss of sound when I have it pushed all the way in the JMT. If it's out about a quarter inch its fine. It's annoying.

I did call Todd and was disappointed to hear that the cord I was shipped is not a Straightwire even though the page says so. Huh? Evidently, the cord I have is more flexible than the Straightwire. I need to do more follow up to determine if it needs to be returned 'cause it has a problem or if it's not compatible with the JMT plug.

I would like a flexible right angle mini. And, the cord I have would have been perfect if it weren't for the static/fading problem. My Kimber's are not flexible and the Markertec connectors are too large. If you find something let me know.

Just thought I'd share...

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 14
che, are you talking about the Straightwire ic mini to mini? if so, it looks like a two or three mm stranded wire covered in black?
Todd said that is not the Straightwire cable?
md

Jun 22, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

che, are you talking about the Straightwire ic mini to mini? if so, it looks like a two or three mm stranded wire covered in black?
Todd said that is not the Straightwire cable?

Evidently not. Mine isn't braided like the Kimbers. Tom said they've changed the manufacturer - but not the name on the site. The picture looks like mine. It has a vinyl(?) covering that I can't see through so I don't know if it's two or three strands.

I don't really know what a straightwire looks like. If he hadn't told me I wouldn't have known.

Jun 22, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Yes, Lektex. I have both of those. I know the difference. I am saying that Todd told me that the cord pictured as a Straightwire is not, therefore I wouldn't know what a Straighwire looks like.

I'll call him and clear it up Monday. I just wanted to caution fellow headfier's with JMT amps that the cord pictured does not work properly when pushed all the way in to the jacks on my JMT.

Jun 22, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 14
I unerstand now. I had an old Airhead it came with a thick red IC. It was a Straightwire version. My new 4.5 TA came with a thin, shiny black IC. non-Straightwire? I know it worked fine with rhe TA. I've use different IC's with my JMT amp without problems. Weird..

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 14
That is weird. I have 3 pseudo StraightWire cables and they work fine with all of my JMT amps. Also, did Todd mention who does manufacture those cables then? It looks very similar to the cable used on my Etymotics.

Jun 25, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 14
I agree, the black Headroom mini to mini works fine on my JMT amp. Perhaps you got a bad cable.
Headroom should have at least changed the website to reflect the change. I still think twenty bucks is a good deal considering the alternatives.
md

Jun 25, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 14
I talked to Mark today (Todd is on vacation) and he thinks its a bad cable too. I'm going to return it and try a different one. Oh, he said its a 'Link Interconnect.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back