right angle 4.4mm pentaconn connector
Sep 27, 2019 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MadSounds

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry if there's a thread like this already, couldn't find one via search.

So I just ordered the new m11 pro and now I'm in the market for a 4.4mm to mmcx cable to connect my CA Atlas. I really want a lower profile angled connector and a cable that's not too bulky. As far as i can tell there are only 2 options, the new Fiio cable (LC-4.4D) and the Sony/Kimber collaboration (MUC-M12SB1). The fiio cable has angled connectors on the mmcx side which seam terrible for non over ear IEM and the Sony just seams too bulky.

IMO the stock ALO litz cable that came with the atlas is absolutely perfect. unfortunately ALO's 4.4 connector is rather long and sticks out far from the device. Does anyone know any other option? Why do we still have so few options for the 'new standard' connection.
Also I'm I crazy for not just getting a 2.5mm? The 4.4mm socket on the fiio players just seams much higher quality and is properly reinforced while the 2.5 looks about ready to break off into the device.

Sep 27, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 6
The included stock cables that comes with the IER-Z1R and can be purchased aftermarket.

B799F904-A8F0-4F60-8595-35AD3251B632.jpeg 21627E3A-AAA0-4EF9-AAAA-80F0EA1B4B42.jpeg 540D4636-5358-4D36-AB4B-CE8E14CE77E2.jpeg AE3184E4-8D8F-4CC8-9D45-A386D5535093.jpeg https://sony.encompass.com/item/12434619/Sony/1-912-774-21/

So this is the exact 44mm balanced 5pole to MMCX that comes with the IER-Z1R. $131.95 is what they cost. Trying the Kimber aftermarket ......the IER-Z1R stock cable sounds better, though the Kimber beats most stock cables. It has not been determined but the MMCX seems better made with the IER-Z1R included stock cable? One thing for sure is the Kimber is really hard to get separated from the IER-Z1R and has pulled the Sony N3 into two pieces.

Probably ergonomics play an important factor too? The ergonomics of the IER-Z1R cable are great. Though keep in mind this stuff is all about synergy. Each cable has uses for how they sound. I use the Kimber 4.4mm-MMCX with my BGVP DM6 and they are a great improvement over stock. You may even like the sound of the Kimber better in your use? Keep in mind the M9 and M7 have cheaper smaller right angle included cables too, they maybe cost less, though I have no idea experience with them.

The stock IER-Z1R cable seems really well made. I’ve heard the CA Atlas but never with the Sony cable.

The Kimber 4.4mm - MMCX
9F20B421-B39B-4256-A77A-DBE6E30F6DA5.jpeg
C48ED697-6F8A-4C07-A1D6-5C4A930F72B9.jpeg
8DC2D38D-ECD5-44ED-9869-811AC0C612C3.jpeg

While the Kimber is nice, I simply have a feeling the MMCX connectors on the stock IER-Z1R cable will be better in the long run. I purchased the Kimber but thought the stock sounded better with the IER-Z1R.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 6
Sorry if there's a thread like this already, couldn't find one via search.

So I just ordered the new m11 pro and now I'm in the market for a 4.4mm to mmcx cable to connect my CA Atlas. I really want a lower profile angled connector and a cable that's not too bulky. As far as i can tell there are only 2 options, the new Fiio cable (LC-4.4D) and the Sony/Kimber collaboration (MUC-M12SB1). The fiio cable has angled connectors on the mmcx side which seam terrible for non over ear IEM and the Sony just seams too bulky.

IMO the stock ALO litz cable that came with the atlas is absolutely perfect. unfortunately ALO's 4.4 connector is rather long and sticks out far from the device. Does anyone know any other option? Why do we still have so few options for the 'new standard' connection.
Also I'm I crazy for not just getting a 2.5mm? The 4.4mm socket on the fiio players just seams much higher quality and is properly reinforced while the 2.5 looks about ready to break off into the device.

There are lots of options if you don't mind importing.

Onso makes lots of 4.4mm mmcx cables for reasonable price with different materials ranging from full OFC to silver coated OFC.
Final Audio also released a silver coated OFC copper right angle 4.4mm mmcx cable.
For something more exotic Brise Audio also offers right angle plugs as options for their headphone cables.

If all else fails, and you want to use the ALO litz cable you can order the official right angle Pentaconn plug and have it re-terminated.

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 6
I am right there with you dude. I searched for the same thing for my Atlas. I like the Sony IER cable but not with the Atlas because like you said, ear hooks. A lot of the aftermarket cables will have ear hooks. You can remove them sometimes but it can be tricky.

The best somewhat reasonably priced cable I have found that fits your/my requirements is the iBasso CB12s-4.4. You can order directly from there here:

http://www.ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=7764#page1

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 6
The best somewhat reasonably priced cable I have found that fits your/my requirements is the iBasso CB12s-4.4. You can order directly from there here:

http://www.ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=7764#page1

Nice that's pretty much exactly the product I was looking for. Probably what I'll end up getting, still waitting for my dap to ship though (preorder they say...). there also seams to be a few good deals on used 2.5 cables these days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back