Ricochet from a 50 cal sniper rifle...
Aug 10, 2007 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
This ones for the Darwin awards... 50 cal sniper rifle at ~100 yards
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
This guys lucky to still have his head attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 30
Was he shooting at a piece of iron? If so he's a damn fool!

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 30
One of the youtube commentators claims he has AP rounds that punch through 1" of steel easily
rolleyes.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 30
I don't want to be a party pooper here but, I gotta call BS on that one.

This fellow is not just unlucky, but he durn figgered a way to change the physics on projectiles. In the spirit of reality TV, some of these you-tubes are just meant as good fun, kinda like never letting the facts get in the way of a good show.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonTi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This fellow is not just unlucky, but he durn figgered a way to change the physics on projectiles. In the spirit of reality TV, some of these you-tubes are just meant as good fun, kinda like never letting the facts get in the way of a good show.

If the ricochet wasn't real, what was it that tore up the dirt in front of him?

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Perfectly possible.

If the bullet impacted dead on, it'd easily punch through the scrap steel plate. However, if the steel plate was canted forwards, the bullet can glance off of the plate, hit the ground, and start bouncing back that the shooter.

Happens fairly often with pistols, steel targets, and FMJ/JHP. Less often if you're using the frangibles or lead bullets that you're supposed to be shooting at that kind of target. With the ranges involved in rifle shooting, it's very rare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
One of the youtube commentators claims he has AP rounds that punch through 1" of steel easily
rolleyes.gif

Don't see why
rolleyes.gif

.50 BMG (SLAP versions) can penetrate over 1" of RHA. Since .50 BMG is not designated as a pistol round, AP rounds are perfectly legal.

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perfectly possible.

If the bullet impacted dead on, it'd easily punch through the scrap steel plate. However, if the steel plate was canted forwards, the bullet can glance off of the plate, hit the ground, and start bouncing back that the shooter.

Happens fairly often with pistols, steel targets, and FMJ/JHP. Less often if you're using the frangibles or lead bullets that you're supposed to be shooting at that kind of target. With the ranges involved in rifle shooting, it's very rare.

Don't see why
rolleyes.gif

.50 BMG (SLAP versions) can penetrate over 1" of RHA. Since .50 BMG is not designated as a pistol round, AP rounds are perfectly legal.

This guy knows his guns and ammo.

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't see why
rolleyes.gif

I thought 1" was near the limit of what .50 BMG could do. Any more, and we'd be sniping tanks with it, not just your run of the mill armored vehicle. We also don't know the range.

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

People dont risk that much for youtube.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought 1" was near the limit of what .50 BMG could do. Any more, and we'd be sniping tanks with it, not just your run of the mill armored vehicle. We also don't know the range.

Even at 1000 yds and beyond, a SLAP or the MK 211 MOD 0 .50 BMG can penetrate 1" thick armor cleanly.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Penetration chart is attached below.

For comparison, modern MBTs have RHA equivalents in the range of 0.7 to 1.2 meters.

cal50evolhv6.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back