RIAA hit report #1: SomaFM.com - DEAD
Jun 22, 2002 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
http://www.somafm.com

(below quoted from the site)

Killed by the RIAA. June 20, 2002.

With CARP royalties of $500 a DAY, SomaFM cannot continue broadcasting.

The final decision on webcasting rates have been published on the Library of Congress's site. To say the results are disappointing is an understatement. While the rates were effectively cut in half, that still means that to stay on the air, SomaFM will have to pay about $500 a day in fees to the RIAA just to expose you to new music that you wouldn't hear anywhere else. Just to help you buy more records. Do they just not get it, or is the RIAA just greedy?

Jun 22, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 20
There we go, keep informing of us of dead net radio stations.

Jun 22, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 20
confused.gif

Jun 22, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 20
That stinks, I listened to DI.fm reguarly at school (high speed connection). I think if internet radio folded it would be a very big loss.

Jun 22, 2002 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
I think if internet radio folded it would be a very big loss.

That ruling pretty much guarantees their death. None of the smaller independents have enough revenue to cover the new few structure. It really is a shame.

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 20
I swear this stuff has the opposite impact on me. It makes me want to go to mp3.com and spend all day downloading songs by independent artists and just not bothering with label-sponsored corporate crap.
Honestly, the best stuff out there is independent anyway, it's just wading through it that's hard.

Jun 24, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I swear this stuff has the opposite impact on me. It makes me want to go to mp3.com and spend all day downloading songs by independent artists and just not bothering with label-sponsored corporate crap.
Honestly, the best stuff out there is independent anyway, it's just wading through it that's hard.

well put kelly. i really could care less.

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #13 of 20
evil_smiley.gif
I think listeners are going to get so fed up with those Greedy Politition's and Lobbyest for these Toltalitarun interest Like The RIAA Price themself's compleatly out of the Market and an Explosion of interest will devolop outside of the confines of Copyrights and The Overly greedy of The Software Tycoons.

Jun 25, 2002 at 2:25 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
I care out of principle. Man there's principalities involved in this ****.

forgive me if i think the "principles" involved with this are sadly poor and unimportant compared to REAL things going on in the world. nevermind the fact that you can sue somebody for stepping on your foot in this society, or people dying in the streets from hunger (among other things), or the fact that we watch more tv than read books, or that 60% (if i remember correctly) of societ is overweight.

LET'S CRY AND BITCH ABOUT FREE MUSIC THAT WASTES BANDWIDTH! WAAAAAAAAAH! i can't get my free music anymore! music that's picked out for me by marketting departments as oppose to me choosing it myself! i can't think for myself, i need help! companies own the rights to music/songs/records and they're *SHUDDER* GETTING MONEY FOR IT! DOWN WITH THEM! they shouldn't be able to fight for what they own!

turn off your tv, turn off your radio, and look out your window and then tell me that internet radio is a huge topic that should be whined and cried over. everyone bitches and bitches about the riaa and then they go out and support them! they buy everyone of their crappy over-produced albums! how do you think they pay for their lawyers?! bah.

nevermind, i guess i'm just a man with no principles. forgive me and my unethical feelings..
rolleyes.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #15 of 20
Why do I feel like I should be in some kind of support group meeting with grinch?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back