RIAA bringing back Nazi Germany
Nov 26, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 31
I would say the right to privacy.
If you steal somethng you should still have a right to privacy, even if it is to hide what you stole.

I will agree that this action was not good.

Nov 26, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

I would say the right to privacy.

Interesting, since the Constitution, specifically, the Bill of Rights, says nothing about the right to "privacy." The word is not mentioned.
We are, however, protected from "unreasonable search" and "unreasonable siezure." IMHO, those are the rights that were violated. But it's up to a court to determine what is "unreasonable."
In the Armed services, however, I don't think there are too many rights.
frown.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
I supposed they sign an agreement about this kind of things. If I were a student in Annapolis, it isn't exactly the kind od things I would do.

sure, but this isn't the army/navy/marines/air force that's taking their stuff. Its the RIAA!

Nov 26, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
This is simply insane.
eek.gif
HOW can they do this? It's not their property!

Quote:

Students at the Annapolis academy receive a computer when they enter school and pay it off gradually over their four years.

At least partially, it is.

And read it again, it isn't the RIAA taking the computers, it is the academy, with the RIAA's blessings of course.

Nov 26, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 31
I wouldn't be suprised if the RIAA were the ones that provoked it though. You know, to scare people and get publicity.

Nov 26, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
At least partially, it is.

And read it again, it isn't the RIAA taking the computers, it is the academy, with the RIAA's blessings of course.

The bank owns most of my car, but that doesn't mean they can come take it from me. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a special contract with these students, but who knows?

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 31
Ah, ok. Sorry, I didn't realize that the students didn't fully own the computers. This is more akin then, to a company scanning employee computers for ****, mp3s, etc.

Still, its quite disturbing that the RIAA is starting to "prod" like this.

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 31
from story:

Quote:

Students at the Annapolis academy receive a computer when they enter school and pay it off gradually over their four years.

the US Navy seized their own computers -- not the students. i doubt the students have a property interest in them until they became paid off (and then that interest will vest).

i would also imagine there is a condition in the student manual stating that the students cannot illegally download the aforementioned material in order to be allowed use of the computers.

on the other hand, once a student is booted from the academy, we all know where this is headed and the arguments the student will raise.

interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back